Etched

2008 passed altogether too quickly for me. This year, my daughter turned two, which seems impossible. 2008 was also the first full year of my freelance business, and although I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to build the business, I am proud of my efforts and am thoroughly enjoying working for myself.

And of course, this past year I did a frozen embryo transfer cycle, got pregnant with what we were told was one baby, and then found out when I was 10 weeks along that we were having twins. 23 weeks later, they arrived.

May 1st, 2008, the day I went for my follow-up ultrasound, alone, and was told I was pregnant with not one baby but two is the date from this past year that I'll always remember. It was in that instant that I had to radically change my perception of what my family would look like. Of course, I dealt with infertility for years before conceiving, so this would not be the first time I had to revamp my thoughts. Just three years ago, I thought I'd never have a child at all, let alone the three (three!) I have now.

But the idea of having multiples was something I feared. I've written about it many times on this blog. I didn't think I was equipped to handle stress, the noise, the work, the incredibly life-altering upheaval of twins. In many ways, I still don't. And yet I'm surviving, some days barely, and others with a little more ease. Next year at this time, I'm counting on life being a whole lot easier.

The revelation of May 1st is the moment from this past year I'll never forget.

What date from 2008 won't you ever forget?

7 Responses to “Etched”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    I'm so afraid of my hubby losing his job--I don't want this to be the day I remember.

    Let's see, of days of 2008 not including today, I would say I will always remember November 21, the day Lily was born. That's a good, happy memory.  

  2. # Blogger Mom24

    Great recap of your year, BTW, I still can't believe it was way back in May when you found out about the twins.

    Just wait until you see where you're at next year--it will get easier.  

  3. # Blogger My Wombinations

    Aug. 2--Alan's birth. A very good day, indeed:)

    Happy New Year!  

  4. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    2008... I can't remember. That was last year, for cryin out loud!

    :)  

  5. # Blogger Jesser

    Amazing 2008 for you guys. Can't believe how truly short a time it's been since you got pregnant.

    I am still trying to take 2008 in ... I will have to post about it in a couple of days when I get my head screwed on straight. ;)  

  6. # Blogger kenju

    I don't recall any very memorable days in 2008, but I'll think about it.

    I think you're doing fine with the twins and the 2 year old!  

  7. # Blogger Damselfly

    Yes, you had a remarkable year! I think there are more "etched" days I'd rather forget in 2008!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly