Anatomy of a Holiday Card Photo Shoot

Taking a toddler's Christmas photo should count as an X Game because it's not for the faint of heart.

I order my cards from Snapfish each year, and back in November they ran a deal where if you ordered by a certain date, you would receive 20 holiday cards for free.

My mom was still staying with us at the time, so one November morning, we dressed Isabella in her Christmas outfit, did the same for the twins, threw a tablecloth over the back of the couch and tried to coerce a very uncooperative toddler to sit still for approximately 3 seconds with one twin on each side of her and crack just the teensiest of smiles for mama's camera.

She was having none of it.


We bribed her with cookies, an extra viewing of Clifford, chocolate. You name it. We threw it at her in an attempt for just a few seconds of forced holiday glee.

Instead, we ended up with this:


And also, this:
Then, I switched gears. I decided since she wanted nothing to do with holding the twins, that I would do a composite of their three photos. So, I removed the twins and attempted to photograph Isabella by herself.

Check out my success!



At least the twins were cooperating:

After two hours and approximately 156 shots, we called it quits.

We started again once the hubs arrived home with hopes for a better outcome. It took an additional two hours, several hundred more shots, and the promise of nothing but chocolate for dinner for an entire month, but we finally ended up with the one passable photo that we used for our holiday card this year.


My sister and her boyfriend are in town and staying with us, my mom and her husband arrive today, and so I'll begin the marathon of family visits, huge meals, and copious amounts of leftovers that can be frozen and later defrosted, reheated, and eaten while standing up and jiggling the pack-in-play with a hip in the hopes that the motion will calm colicky infants.

Happy holidays, everyone!

12 Responses to “Anatomy of a Holiday Card Photo Shoot”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    Well, you did finally get a great shot.

    I have a friend who sent a card with one of the 'not so good shots' and the caption 'It is what it is, Merry Christmas'. I loved it. I thought it was very clever.

    I hope you have lots of helping hands (and hips) to jiggle the twins with. Have a wonderful Christmas.  

  2. # Blogger Christine

    I was kind of voting for the second photo down. I think it's awesome.

    Happy Holidays from mine to yours!  

  3. # Blogger Christine

    This comment has been removed by the author.  

  4. # Blogger Jesser

    You did get a really good photo in the end, but yea ... YIKES. It is hard to get them still, let alone smiling. Did you see Chas's card? I laughed so hard!!!  

  5. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Love 'em all!!

    Merry Christmas!!  

  6. # Blogger Sarah P.

    I was voting for the second shot down, as well. Holiday cheer? Not so much. Reality? Yep!

    The picture you eventually got is great! Have a great Christmas.  

  7. # Blogger Chastity

    Well, you know how I feel on this topic. I am totally with you on the X Games thing. I actually just got your card yesterday...this time with an actual card inside :).  

  8. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    That final shot is great! I know how much work it is with just one! So I can only imagine... Hope you guys have a great Christmas!  

  9. # Blogger kenju

    It was all worth it!! They all look as sweet as sugar! Merry Christmas, Kristi.  

  10. # Blogger Ramona

    LOL!!! I think all of those photos are adorable. I especially love the one with Isabella with the biggest frown I've ever seen on ANYBODY!!!
    After all that hard work, you've finally captured a beautiful shot. You've got beautiful children...and you ARE doing a great job!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!  

  11. # Blogger Shannon

    I only have one kid and I knew that I would never get a happy shot like that lol... so I didn't even bother lol... but love the photos... they were great!  

  12. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    It was certainly worth it. The last photo is beautiful. Thanks for sharing all the pictures taken before that one. It's priceless!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly