Isabella at 28 Months

Isabella turns 28 months old today.

Her cognitive development continues to amaze me. Two is hellacious in some ways, but two is also pretty incredible in others.

Isabella has taken to asking what a word means if she doesn't know it. She also asks, "What did Mommy/Daddy/Grammy, etc. just say?" if we're talking to eachother and she doesn't understand what we're saying, and "What you laughing about?" if we're chuckling about something she's said that's unintentionally funny. Miss Nosy wants in on the grown-up talk. This makes it hard to converse above her head now.

Most nights before she goes to bed, she atones for the day's sins. For example, she'll say, "I'm sorry I kicked you in the eye" (yes, this actually happened last week) and last night she told me, "Mommy, I'm really, really, really sorry I didn't take a nap today." Me too, baby. Me too. It's as if she can't go to bed with the guilt hanging over her head. The pope would be proud, I think.

She's taken to wearing a hat my great aunt made her around the house, which makes her look like she just returned from skating a halfpipe.

She also hates having her photo taken. Most photos I attempt to take of her lately look like this:

Christmas is big in my house this year. She knows that Santa comes and will bring her presents. She sings almost all the words to "Frosty The Snowman" and "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer," which she learned courtesy of the legion of animatronic singing Christmas animals my grandma has bought for her. She loves drawing snowmen and Christmas trees, and watching scenes from The Polar Express. The book is her bedtime story of choice.

Isabella is now doing a great job of playing independently. I'm not certain if this came about out of necessity or because kids naturally start to play better on their own at this age, but either way, I couldn't be happier about it. It's not like I don't enjoy playing with her, but there are only so many block towers I can build, pictures of Clifford I can draw, and times I can read Once Upon a Potty before I want to declare myself certifiably insane.

And finally, even though she's taken to cramming her fingers in her ears when the twins start to cry (I'm with you, girlfriend. I want to do the same), it seems I haven't rocked her world too horribly with the twins' arrival. I can see every day how much she loves them. She doesn't just tolerate them. She actually loves them. And this makes her mama very proud of her indeed.

8 Responses to “Isabella at 28 Months”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    Those pictures are darling. She really is a bright, articulate little girl, isn't she? That's awesome about her ability to play by herself. What a treasured skill that is. Jacob can play with anything, anywhere, for hours. Julianna can not play by herself, pretty much ever. Drives me crazy!

    I hope she keeps napping for a long, long time for both your sakes.

    The Polar Express is one of my favorite stories. We read it every Christmas Eve.

    Glad she's enjoying those adorable babies. See? I told you she would get a lot out of being a big sister. :-)  

  2. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I am really looking forward to the whole "play by herself" thing. Hope you are getting some sleep!  

  3. # Blogger Jesser

    Awww... I love that photo of her and the baby! It's making my hormonal pregnant ass all misty. ;)  

  4. # Blogger beagle

    Adorable, just more and more so!  

  5. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Awwww!! How sweet. I love the monthly recaps. I have journals that I wrote in when they were little, but haven't updated lately, due to the blog...  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    She's looking SO big these days! And I love that orange cap. :-)  

  7. # Blogger Damselfly

    Hee hee! I can totally see Isabella as a boarder or skater! She is so amazing and growing up so fast.  

  8. # Blogger Thalia

    She has had such a strong character from the beginning, I'm not surprised to see it's continuing.

    In that last picture she is the spitting image of you!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly