Schooled, Bella-Style

My artistic talent is basically that of a 5-year-old. I've never really progressed beyond stick figures. My grandfather, the professional sign-maker, my mother, the art teacher, and my sister, the fab artist and genius behind the art on the tables at my wedding and Isabella's birthday signs have all the talent. I've got none.

But lately Isabella's been asking me to draw for her, and her requests aren't on par with my abilities. She's requested elephants, Big Bird, and even herself. I try, but my efforts aren't usually met with much enthusiasm. Usually, she tells me, "No. No. That's not right," and then she crushes my fragile crayon-clutching ego even further by scribbling over my work. The little shit offers me no encouragement whatsoever.
However, her reaction to my drawing on the walls of the shower the other night while she was in the bathtub exceeded all previous scathing criticisms of my work.
She was using her bath crayons to draw Mr. Bleakman from Clifford on the wall. (She is obsessed with this character for some reason.) Isabella then turned to me, orange bath crayon in hand and asked me to draw Clifford.
I gave it my best shot, which suffice it to say didn't pass muster with the two-year-old. When I was done drawing the Big Red Dog, Isabella turned to me and said, "Mommy, that's kinda ridiculous."
And then she took a red crayon and scribbled all over it.

8 Responses to “Schooled, Bella-Style”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    Ouch! Kid's are so humbling.  

  2. # Blogger Jesser

    LOL. That is hilarious... and ego damaging. My time is coming no worries. ;)  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    ouch! I can clearly see Clifford there... Funny.

    We went through a phase of drawing trains. Lots and lots of them.  

  4. # Blogger My Wombinations

    this made me ACTUALLY LOL:)  

  5. # Blogger Damselfly

    Whoa. Criticism must be hard to take from your own kid.

    I can't draw for anything, either.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I feel your pain. My kids have art in their blood from their paternal side, and I am sorely lacking. They long ago learned not to ask me to draw anything. ;-)

    (Isabella's reaction is sorta funny, though! 'Ridiculous' is a big word for such a little girl.)  

  7. # Blogger In transit

    I also LOL'd..... I can see Clifford there - for sure!
    Clearly Isabella appreciates the 'fine arts' over abstract and such!  

  8. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    That's so funny. It is. Sorry to be snickering over here...  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly