We've Got a Heartbeat

At my ultrasound this morning, we were able to see one perfectly sized baby floating around in my uterus. I am currently 7w1d, and we were able to see the heartbeat (more of a flicker, really). The heartbeat measured 123bpm, which my doctor said was very good. And the doctor wiped away many of my fears by telling us that once the heartbeat has been detected and measured, the risk of miscarriage is very low. I am due on August 26th.

I have to continue with my morning progesterone shots until I am 10 weeks along (January 29th), which is fine with me. But best of all, I am done visiting my fertility clinic, which has been an unwanted home-away-from-home for the last 16 months. I've "graduated" back to my regular OB, with whom I have an appointment on January 25th, when I'll be about 9.5 weeks along.

Both my husband and I are ecstatic. When I saw the baby, and my doctor pointed out the heartbeat on screen, the tears started flowing. Suddenly, this baby has become real for me. He or she is not just something a nurse told me was there over the phone a few weeks ago. I've seen him/her with my own eyes. There is a life growing inside me. It's real.

I haven't been sick (just a few days of slight morning nausea, and I did vomit one day last week), and other than fatigue and breast tenderness, everything has been going fine. But I wanted an outward sign that things were progressing as they should, and even though it sounds strange, I was almost wishing for morning sickness. But now I know that things, at least at this point, are going just as they should be.

We've been given an incredible gift, and although I am far from having a baby in my arms, I think I can finally breathe a little sigh of relief and celebrate this miracle a bit more.

I also have an ultrasound photo that few women have. The photo below shows the baby, along with the one that "didn't take" on the day of my embryo transfer on December 6th, as an 8-cell mass. Science is incredible, isn't it?


And to make this day even more incredible, as my husband was putting on his shoes this morning, he saw something on the floor. I was already at work, and he called me up and asked me if we were normal, rational people. I said, "Sure. Of course." He was questioning what he saw, because on the floor in front on him? Was a ladybug.

16 Responses to “We've Got a Heartbeat”

  1. # Blogger Christine

    YAY YAY YAY!

    I am so thrilled for you and husband and baby.

    You have to keep your eyes out for those ladybugs ;)  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Hooray Kristi!!! This is wonderful news. You two will be such loving parents... lucky lil bambino!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    **taps screen** Helooo, little niece or nephew! This is your favorite auntie talking. Did you know that you're in your cardio training zone? Keep up the good work! I'll see you in the summer! I love you!

    PS: If mom says "no" and dad says "no", just ask aunt Karrie, kay?  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm SO excited for you! Isn't it amazing that something so tiny has a heartbeat? Such a miracle...  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hooray, hooray, hooray!!!!!
    That's all incredible and fabulous and exciting! I'm so glad it went well today.

    Due date in end of August. I'm thinking this severely lowers chances of camping this summer if there ever were any? ;-)
    (Don't worry - I'll take the alternative of the adorable little one on the way for you and Rich instead!)  

  6. # Blogger D

    I am sooooo happy for you! It is an amazing sight isn't it?

    Our first pictures of our baby are already on the fridge! Still hasn't sunk in completely. Hope you have a good week. I hate to wish my life away, but every week that goes by I am relieved!

    Very happy we both got good news!  

  7. # Blogger Dawn

    Ok, this kid is going to be spoiled, I can see it now! Between mom and dad and Aunt Karrie, you might want to consider building a toy room onto your house. :-)

    What great news!  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!

    I am soooo excited for you!

    *Huge Hug*!!!  

  9. # Blogger Unknown

    Oh, so wonderful! Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations!  

  10. # Blogger Ramona

    My insomnia is bad tonight (this morning) and I'm so glad that I got out of bed to read your blog! Congratulations! I am SO happy for you!
    I'm loving the U/S pics too, what a great souvenir for your little one. Science really is incredible.  

  11. # Blogger Kristi

    Christine-Thank you! The ladybugs seem to be finding us!

    Marie-Awww... thanks.

    Karrie-me thinks someone is going to be quite the spoiled kid, mmmm?

    Stephanie-It is. Completely incredible. And thanks for visiting and reading.

    Jenny-LOL. Yeah, camping is probably out. Darn it! ;)

    D-I'm so happy we both got good news too. It is incredible, and I am definitely counting weeks too.

    Dawn-I have a feeling you're right!

    Cara-Thank you! As of now, we're not going to find out, but either way, ladybugs are definitely going to play some part in his/her room.

    Clare-Thanks! We are so excited too.

    S-Thanks! And thanks for visiting again.

    Ramona-Thank you. And yes, science is amazing. I really didn't have an appreciation for how cool it is before going through IVF.  

  12. # Blogger Kristi

    Caryl-You sure are!

    Amy-Thank you! Ladybugs are everywhere (at least in my house) these days.

    Alisha-Thanks. And yes, my sister is quite the card. ;)  

  13. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Fantastic kristi, this is really wonderful. I'm so happy you got to see such good news.  

  14. # Blogger Kristi

    Thalia-Thank you. It just has to be your turn next.  

  15. # Anonymous Anonymous
  16. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly