Christmas Wrap-up in Photos

Here's a wrap-up (mainly food-related) of my Christmas this year. All photos are courtesy of my sister Karrie, because as ya'll know, I don't have a digital camera.

Here is my Christmas tree. It is enormous. It wasn't this large when we brought it into the house. I have no idea how we're going to get it out.



Here are just a few of the over 3,000 cookies my great aunt bakes for Christmas every year. She ships them all over the country to out-of-town relatives, and of course us lucky in-town relatives get to chow down on them at every family gathering.


And here are the desserts I made for Christmas dinner at my grandma's house: Ricotta pie, peanut butter and banana pie, and of course, Dawn's pumpkin cheesecake. You can find the recipe for the cheesecake here. The rest I've included for your baking pleasure.

Ricotta Pie


Ingredients

1.5 lbs ricotta cheese

1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup Splenda for Baking)

1 TBSP vanilla extract

4 eggs

1TBSP flour

Directions

Place ricotta in a large bowl. Beat with electric mixer to break it up.

Add sugar, vanilla, eggs, and flour. Beat three minutes

Pour into greased and floured 9'' pie plate.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Cool and then refrigerate until set.

Peanut Butter and Banana Pie
*From Cooking Light

Crust Ingredients

1 cup vanilla wafer cookie crumbs (about 25-30 cookies)

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

2.5 TBSPs butter, melted

Cooking spray

Filling Ingredients

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup (4oz) 1/3 less fat cream cheese

1/2 cup reduced fat peanut butter

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 (8oz) container fat-free whipped topping, thawed

1.5 cups sliced banana (about 2 bananas)

1/4 cup fat-free chocolate syrup topping

Directions

To prepare crust, place cookies in a food processor and process until finely ground.

Add 1/3 cup brown sugar and butter, and pulse 2-3 times until just combined.

Press into bottom and up sides of a 9'' pie plate coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, and cool completely on a wire rack.

To prepare filling, place 3/4 cup brown sugar, cream cheese, peanut butter, and vanilla in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth.

Fold in whipped topping.

Arrange banana slices in bottom of prepared crust.

Spread peanut butter mixture over banana, and drizzle with syrup.

Cover and freeze for eight hours.

Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.

6 Responses to “Christmas Wrap-up in Photos”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    MMMMMM! Yummy yum yum. Your peanut butter & banana pie looks fantastic Kristi!

    3,000 cookies? When does she start baking? In July?? They look amazing.

    I want to be Italian for the food...  

  2. # Blogger Christine

    So I just ate dinner, and am absurdly full, and yet...

    just looking at your desserts makes me want some so badly.  

  3. # Blogger Geekwif

    I agree with Marie about being Italian for the food. You certainly know how to eat right! That ricotta pie looks SO good. Does it really have no crust? Is it kind of like a custard? I'm going to have to try this one.  

  4. # Blogger Kristi

    Marie-Thanks for the nice compliment! My great aunt starts baking the end of the November, and usually ends the week of Christmas. She's a machine!

    Christine-Thanks! The photography is all my sister.

    Geekwif-yes, that's one of the things Italians do very well. Almost too well. And yes, the ricotta pie does not have a crust, and it's not really custardy. It's just very light. Almost like angel food cake. It's a cinch to make, and very tasty. If you make it, let me know how you like it.

    Alisha- :) Yup. Over 3,000. And each one is amazingly delicious.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I love the look of the ricotta tart, I am going to have to try it!

    We can't buy frozen lowfat topping here..  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Clare-No CoolWhip in Australia? Wow! Do you have any substitutes?  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly