Luck be a Lady...Bug?


For the past two years of our infertility struggle, my husband and I have for the most part relied on each other for support. No one in either of our families knows what's going on, and it's only been in the last year that I've told my friends, "Hey! We're infertile!" I didn't want the sympathy. I didn't want to wonder what the hushed conversations were about. I didn't want nosy but well-meaning family members asking, "So...how's the baby-making going?" About a year ago, I reached the point where I had to tell my friends. I needed their support. So a told a few, and then eventually a few more. It's such a personal thing, even though now I'm about as open about it as I can be (except with my family). I've realized that I needed the love and shoulder to cry on that only a girlfriend can offer. And thanks to some wonderful real-life and blog friends, I now have that.

But in the beginning, it was only my husband and me. We prayed like crazy, being the good (although recently lapsed) Catholics we are. We cried together (well, I cried and he tried to make me stop crying) and we grew closer together. And let me tell you, there's nothing like injecting your wife in the arse with progesterone every morning to keep the home fires burning!

And then we discovered ladybugs. Or, rather, they discovered us. About six weeks ago, at the beginning of my IVF cycle, I returned to my desk at work following a meeting and found a ladybug sitting in front of my keyboard. I work in a standard office building, in the middle of a cube farm, with no windows anywhere near me. What was a ladybug doing sitting on my desk?

A few weeks later, my husband was cleaning our spare bedroom. On the windowsill? A ladybug.

On Saturday, the day of my IVF egg retrieval, I opened the December 3 window on my advent calendar. (My mom still believes my sister and I are ages seven and eight respectively, and buys each of us an advent calendar every year.) The picture inside was a ladybug.

And then yesterday, while my husband was getting dressed, he noticed something on the floor in front of the bed. Yet another ladybug.

Now, common sense tells me that it's getting very cold here in Western New York, and these ladybugs are just trying to find a spot inside to stay warm. But both of us have only ever seen one ladybug at a time, not an infestation. They're appearing in some odd places-places where they have no business being. And they're appearing at some very curious times as well.

The reason this is interesting for us is that ladybugs have historically been viewed as symbols of good luck. I've know this for quite some time, but didn't know that the reason was because ladybugs were brought over from Australia in the 1800s to save orange trees in California from being destroyed by pests. And they did.

Now, of course we're probably subconsciously searching for any sign-ANYTHING-that would give us hope of a baby after all we've been through. And believe me, our feet are firmly planted on the ground. In fact, mine might actually be buried. But it's fun to play this ladybug game while we wait.

So, are we one step away from seeing the Virgin Mary's face in a grilled cheese sandwich?

9 Responses to “Luck be a Lady...Bug?”

  1. # Blogger Dawn

    Kristi, that is fun to see all of those ladybugs. C'mon, who doesn't like a ladybug? I like things like that..I think that bees are lucky (I don't know if anyone else out there would agree with me!). The most important thing is that it has a positive impact on you. BTW... drop me a line with a mailing address: dawnfrost@excite.com. I'd like to send a little something out that way for the holidays (don't ask what, because as of yet, I have NO idea!), even if it's just a lovely card!  

  2. # Blogger Ramona

    It's definitely a sign!
    I believe in things like that.
    I can't wait till you POAS! (pee on a stick!)  

  3. # Blogger Ramona

    It's definitely a sign!
    I believe in things like that.
    I can't wait till you POAS! (pee on a stick!)  

  4. # Blogger Kristi

    Dawn-yeah, I must admit, it is kind of neat o have all these ladybugs appearing. I'll send you an email. :)

    Ramona-I certainly hope so! But no POAS here. I'm going to wait for the bloodtest on the 18th. At least I think I am!

    Caryl-I'm intrigued! I can't wait to hear about it.  

  5. # Blogger Marie

    If you do get that grilled cheese sandwich, carefully seal it in a ziplock bag and freeze it! Some lucky eBayer will be glad that you took the time to preserve it.

    Anyway, it's very cool about the ladybugs... is there a saint that you can pray to who answers you with ladybugs? I'm only half joking... my mother has always prayed to St. Theresa who (supposedly) answers prayers with roses. She's had some freaky incidents with roses appearing at just the right time.

    I think it's a good sign!

    No POAS?  

  6. # Blogger Christine

    I like to read into things and make them signs too. And I happen to like the ladybugs.

    I don't know about the Virgin Mary's face in the grilled cheese, but if you get the image of a ladybug on the sandwich, then it is definitely a sign.  

  7. # Blogger Ziz

    I wish you the best of luck!

    As someone who has also been having troubles in the 'baby making' area, you've got my sympathy for the hard times we go through.

    Hurrah for lady bugs and positive thoughts! :)  

  8. # Blogger Kristi

    Marie-I know! And what are the odds that there are TWO sandwiches out there? I'd be rich! It's funny that you mention St. Theresa. My grandma's name is Theresa and that's her "special" saint. Is there a Patron Saint of Lady Bugs? LOL.

    And no, no POAS here. I don't want to deal with the results before I have to, I guess.

    Christine-Yeah, it is a cool thing. I'm going to examine my lunch from now until the 18th.

    Alicat-Thank you. I'm sorry you're "reproductively challenged" (to quote Charlotte from Sex and the City) as well. It really sucks, doesn't it? I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    Alisha-Good. I'm got lots of lucky ladybug converts here!  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh, what a NEAT story!!! Wow! I came across this one from a link in your current blog entry today, hehe :)  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly