Fast Times in a Home Office

For the last four months or so, I have been slogging through life with a laptop on its last legs. Admittedly when I bought it almost 2.5 years ago, I opted for a cheap cost over a quality machine, because I was working full-time, and did 95% of my blogging, emailing, and surfing on my company's nickel. I used my personal laptop mainly for the odd freelance project on the weekend, and for looking up naked pictures of Jake Gyllenhaal.

I kid. Or not.

However, once I left the corporate life (and with it, my wickedly fast company-owned computer) to work from home, I realized just how inadequate my laptop was to getting anything done quickly. And when you're a freelance writer working from home with a toddler at your feet 24/7, there is nothing as important as speed.

In the last few months, my laptop problems have escalated. It would take 10 minutes to boot up in the morning. It would freeze for no reason and slow to an absolute and mind-blowingly annoying crawl at least a dozen times a day. It would take minutes to open email messages and sometimes sometimes several more minutes to send them. Its fans were running constantly, and no amount of compressed air I blew into the bottom holes of my machine was helping to cool it off or clean out the vents. I was constantly rebooting it in hopes that it would suddenly act like the power machine it was never built to be.

It didn't.

Soon it became apparent I would need a new laptop. When Isabella is awake and I need to accomplish something important on my laptop, such as emailing a client or one of you, I have seconds, not minutes to get it done. I cannot wait for a laptop that's crawling.

A computer whiz friend of mind checked out my machine and confirmed that it was, indeed, a piece of crap. I upgraded the memory (and I even installed it myself!) in the hopes of finding the cheap way out of my little problem, but to no avail.

So I bit the bullet. I went completely out of character and with a "go big or stay home" mindset I bought a business-class Dell Latitude D630 (a computer whose specs my friend selected for me). It has an 800MHz dual core (which means nothing to me except that I was assured this translates to FAST!), 4 gigs of memory, and a 120 gig hard drive.

I am officially smitten.

I can now send emails in no time at all. Web pages load in seconds. I no longer have time to fold a load of laundry while switching between programs or windows.

Can a computer change your life?

Oh yes. Yes, it can.

10 Responses to “Fast Times in a Home Office”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Sigh. Why or why has the world not converted completely to MAC. I'm really glad you're happy with your new PC laptop, but next time you're in the market, do yourself a huge favor and invest in an apple. I am a life-long MAC user, and I have NEVER encountered any of these various PC problems I read about or hear about constantly from PC users/VISTA users/DELL users etc. MAC's are virtually maintainence-free and won't cause you any problems other than having too much fun using them. When an app on a MAC goes screwy, it does not require that you re-boot the whole system, just that application. MAC's just make more sense, period. Go to an apple store and try out the new Air book. Or not. that might make you feel bad about your PC ;-)  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    sweet!!!!! Happy geeking out!  

  3. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I am also a Mac gal, but I am thrilled for you on the new computer. Mazel Tov!  

  4. # Blogger sher

    (Mac person too. Hee! ) Congratualtions! I think getting a new computer is always a wonderful. I always fall madly in love with them--and then lust after the newer models. I'm so unfaithful!  

  5. # Blogger Mom24

    Woohoo! Have fun. I think it's only fair to warn you that you're letting yourself in for even more blog addiction! I recognize the signs because I suffer myself!

    PS--I love Mac's too, but who can afford them? They're really, really expensive, and all these years later there still is not much software being written for them. Enjoy your Dell, it sounds like an awesome machine!  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I have to agree with everyone - MAC's are far superior. However, it is not true that they HAVE to be crazy expensive. You can easily purchase a re-furbished apple that has the same power and pizazz as a spankin new model. Besides, isn't it true in some cases that you get what you pay for? Also, the comment about MAC's not doing what PC's do is wrong - at least for Kristi's purposes: for blogging, freelance writig, email, and web stuff. MACs clearly win out! For the other needs - spreadsheets, business applications, MAC's can now do it all .. same as a PC! Oh except they don't crash. :-) One day it will be a MAC universe and all computer problems will be a faint and distant memory.  

  7. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    Congrats on the computer! I'm so jealous. We just cleared up 20 GB of memory on my crappy computer and it's a little faster. Which makes me happy.  

  8. # Blogger Debbie

    Enjoy your new computer!

    I'm staying out of the PC vs. MAC debate. It's safer that way. :)  

  9. # Blogger Jesser

    I'm a dyed-in-the-wool computer geek and I will come down hard on the PC side and I have used both ... extensively. So I am thrilllllled for you about your new computer. It is sooo nice to get a new machine that goes and goes real fast. Geeky bliss. ;)  

  10. # Blogger Shannon

    Macs have one major issue... you can't upgrade them... it is a great idea by apple it means you will buy more from them sooner... but, Jeremy and I build our own PCs and never have any issues... so you Anon people be a man and post your name!

    Anyways... congrats on the new PC... It looks great...  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly