Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner

Last week, Jess asked what I received for my birthday.

I had asked my sister for a new purse, since she is all fabulous and stylish and sadly, I am not. She has taste in clothes, purses, and accessories that I admire, so I left my purse decision in her capable hands. She bought me this one, from Matt and Nat, a Montreal-based business that makes 100% cruelty-free bags made of no animal by-products whatsoever. Am now fabulous and stylish myself, apparently. Am also badass with a purse named Public Enemy. Thank you, Karrie!



The hubs did equally well. We are going to Toronto. Overnight. We're staying in this hotel, which we already know is quite nice because we've stayed there before. And we're seeing a musical. We are both complete musical theatre geeks. You name it, we've seen it. And on April 26th, we are seeing:


There's only one small 23-pound problem. It will be my first night away from Isabella.

I'm trying not to be all dramatic about this. To some of you seasoned moms, I know my apprehension about leaving her must sound completely lame. Obviously, mothers leave their children for well-deserved and much-needed vacations. But it will be the first morning I'll awaken without seeing this little face.

We're leaving her in the very capable hands of my mom, who is coming to stay with her for the weekend. And truth be told, Isabella probably won't even notice we're gone, because her grammy will likely occupy every second of her waking hours with art projects well beyond my limited crafty means.

I'm also quite certain we'll come home to a toddler hyped up on sugar from being fed cookies and ice cream with a Red Bull chaser for two days straight ("because that's what she likes!"), but I suppose that's a small price to pay for knowing your child is in good hands while you're gone.

Leaving her will be hard, but I also know that I need this mini-break. I really need it. Working from home with a very needy toddler all day, every day is by far the hardest job I've ever done. It is extremely physically and emotionally taxing for me. And now, with being pregnant and exhausted most of the day, it's even more difficult. The idea of not having to be responsible for a little person's daily care for almost 36 hours is incredibly appealing to me, as is the idea of being able to use the bathroom without having a companion in there with me.

April 26th also coincides with the day of my last injections (can I get an Amen?). This means we won't have to haul a cache of needles, syringes, and other drug paraphernalia over the international border, which I can only think will go a long way toward keeping me out of the Canadian prison system.

So I'm nervous about leaving her, but I'm also excited about my time away. A little time away from me is good for her, right?

17 Responses to “Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner”

  1. # Blogger My Wombinations

    Hmmm... . If you sound completely lame, then how do I sound (see my post on the same topic)? It is good to start with only one night. I am sure she will be fine. Baby steps. But as a child who was left copiously by parents, I assure you, your concern makes you a good mom. Not lame at all. In fact, I venture to say that any mom who would call you lame may need to consider a tubal ligation--or a good therapist.  

  2. # Blogger Mom24

    Amen! I'm glad you're almost done with shots.

    The purse is very, very cool. I love it.

    I hope you have a fabulous time. It is not lame at all. My DH and I NEVER left our children until my oldest and his wife had their first baby! He was 21. It was really hard. My 13 year old (at the time) had a very hard time and cried anytime she talked about it for a while after that. My 5 year old (at the time) handled it pretty well--but would lay awake in bed at night upset that I was gone and being very, very stoic. My parents had no idea he was upset, my DD told me later. The three year old had a hard time and didn't mind telling me, but she too did all right. Fast forward two years later, and DH and I went on a 5 day cruise--the honeymoon we never had. The current 5 year old had a very hard time, and is still showing the effects. It's been 3 months now, and I keep hoping it will not be so traumatic for her soon.

    My DH and his wife have left their 2 year old with us a couple of times. He has always done beautifully. Truth be told, he's never really looked back. He has a fabulous time and is happy to see them when they come back, but not at all upset when they're gone.

    I think the difference is that they started leaving him young. I think it makes it easier on them that way. We never did leave ours, because we never had a good situation to leave them in. Yours sounds perfect. Your Mom coming to your house will be great Isabella will be in comfortable territory. I bet she will have a great time, and you need to keep leaving her in the future so that it becomes just something that happens, and not, as in our house, THE END OF THE WORLD. LOL. Have a great time.  

  3. # Blogger Mom24

    OK, it's early. I didn't mean to write a book, and that should have been my son and his wife, not DH and his wife have left their 2 year old. Otherwise, how very open minded of me, huh?  

  4. # Blogger Marie

    Your trip sounds perfect! It will be weird but awesome (after you call home & hear that of course everything is FINE). I've only been away from K twice, and it definitely rejuvenated me.

    Hooray for no more injections! You guys will have a great get-away.

    (That picture of Isabella & title made me spew tea out of my mouth!)  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I have yet to leave Bridget overnight, but I am REALLY looking forward to that day when we can send ALL THREE KIDS to stay with their grandparents. What the heck would we do without any children in the house? Well, yes. There is "that!"

    You aren't lame. We all have fears of leaving our kids for the first time. Isabella will do fine with her g-ma. You and your husband will have a grand time. You absolutely deserve it, so have a lovely mini-vacation!!  

  6. # Blogger beagle

    Great gifts!
    Enjoy!  

  7. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    :) You know, we allll understand it. What mom doesn't miss her kids when she's gone? Even for a few hours? And what mother doesn't dread the day her kids grow up and leave home? So, overnighters are a given. I went with my hubs for a weekend (2 nights alone!) on our anniversary. I was happy, then sad, then happy, then ridiculously happy, then guilty, then reprimanding myself, then sleeping, etc. Thrilled to leave and thrilled to return.

    Have a good time.  

  8. # Blogger Jesser

    Sounds like some excellent b'day haul!

    This sounds just like me and my sister ... she's the fashionable one who I go to for advice. We joke that I'll send Tabby to her one day to teach her how to put on makeup (cuz I have NO CLUE). Love the color of the purse too ;)

    Have never seen Dirty Dancing (in the theatre). But my sister saw it when she lived in NYC and raved. Hope you really enjoy it. I've only been away from Tabby overnight once and it was hard. But I think we'll do a repeat before too long because it's been forever since I slept in. You will certainly enjoy that being in first tri!!  

  9. # Blogger shokufeh

    Dirty Dancing. Eeek! I am such a fan of the movie, and can only imagine that the stage version will be great. Have an awesome trip - peeing alone, carrying a lovely purse, having a leisurely meal.... Sounds better-than-nice.  

  10. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    I think it sounds like you guys will have an excellent time! I know it's going to be hard leaving her, but you get to enjoy Dirty Dancing and alone potty time! Hope you have lots of fun.  

  11. # Anonymous Anonymous

    The trip sounds fabulous! I won't say that it wasn't hard the first time I left Brody... but the hubby & I had a really nasty stomach flu, so my parents stepped in to rescue us, so it really wasn't a choice so to speak, and he was only 6 weeks old. BUT... I will say that the relaxation and alone time (WITH NO NEEDLES!) will be well worth it, and make you just all that much happier to see that face in the mornings when you get home!

    ENJOY!  

  12. # Anonymous Anonymous

    You're leaving her with your mom, so relax! It can be excruciating, I know, but you'll both be fine! You definitely need a break...  

  13. # Blogger Leslie

    That's a very nice handbag. You win a purse, and you carry a handbag, my dear. Now that you're rolling in style, ya gots ta get the propa lingo down. Have a great tiem in Toronto! You really are very licky to be able to leave Isabella with her grandma and not some horny teenager who's going to invite her boyfriend over to raid your fridge and do it on your sofa.  

  14. # Blogger Leslie

    Ok, so that was supposed to say have a great TIME and that you really are very LUCKY.  

  15. # Blogger Damselfly

    Sounds great! Have fun!

    (And that looks like a great bag!)  

  16. # Blogger Shannon

    Love the purse... and I love musicals too... so does Lore... Jeremy... not so much lol... and love that bed head look lol...  

  17. # Blogger sher

    How I love that pic of Isabella with the rock star messy hair! And the purse is fabulous. When you finally make it onto What Not To Wear, Stacy will praise you and say, "That has to stay." I'm so glad you're going to take some time for yourself! We order you to have a great time, cause we will be living through you vicariously!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly