Magnolia's Oatmeal Muffins

Truth be told, I am not a fan of oatmeal. Something about the mushy texture and consistency makes me heave, even though I like all its ingredients (oats, milk, and usually some good spices like cinnamon and nutmeg). I think my dislike of oatmeal also relates to the fact that I like the milk in my cereal to be ice-cold, and obviously the milk in oatmeal is warm or hot.

But, when Mother's Day rolled around this year, and I was perusing my trusty Magnolia Bakery Cookbook for some muffin recipes to make for the brunch I was hosting, I came across this recipe for oatmeal muffins. All the health benefits of oatmeal without the mouth mush!

I really liked how these came out, and I've made them several times since. They're aren't "oatey" tasting (if that makes sense), and have just a hint of sweetness to them. You could definitely use them in place of a dinner roll, so they're not just for breakfast.

Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients

2 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking oats)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin

3. Mix the oats and milk in a medium-size bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.

4. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, making a well in the center. Stir in the liquid ingredients and the oatmeal mixture until just combined, being careful not to overmix.

5. Fill muffin cups about three-quarters full, and bake for 16-18 minutes until lightly golden and a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out with moist crumbs attached. Do not overbake.

And if your oatmeal habit becomes too addicting to quit (you know, kind of like my Doritos habit), check out Marie's recipe for Oatmeal Pancakes, which I'm going to attempt to persuade Rich to make me this weekend, despite the 90 degree temperatures we're expecting.

7 Responses to “Magnolia's Oatmeal Muffins”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    Yes yes yes! Try the pancakes. I'm very hooked on them. Go Rich, go!

    MMM. These muffins sound great! I will have to try this recipe. Like you, I don't like mushed oatmeal in a bowl, but I like oats used in baking.  

  2. # Blogger beagle

    Will have to give these a try, pancakes too!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Sounds yummy! I'll have to try those  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yum, I bet those are delicious. I love oatmela in baked goods---and it is a Magnolia recipe--so it has to be great.  

  5. # Blogger Kristi

    Marie-Rich made them for me on Saturday morning, and they were so good. Delicious, in fact!

    Beagle, Ramona, and Sher-Definitely try 'em. They were so good!  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous
  7. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly