You've Got Questions? I've Got Answers. Part 1

For my first blogaversary last week, I hosted a question forum, where you, my awesome readers, could ask me any question you wished. I received some very interesting questions, so without further ado, here are your answers to the first batch.

Caryl asks: "Will Beastie use a pacifier?"

Kristi answers: Hell yes. To be completely honest, I've done zero research on this particular topic. But I cannot think of a single reason why I would want to listen to a screaming baby who has been fed and diapered, is well-rested, and whose finger isn't lodged in the crack of a door, but who still insists on yelling as if he/she was dying, when a simple pacifier will end the agony for both of us.

That said, it's time for a true-life story of how a certain relative of mine just couldn't bear to part with her pacifier, which for some odd reason my mom always referred to as a "sassy." Yeah, I don't know either. My sister loved her sassy with a passion. It went everywhere with her, and g-o-d help the relative that didn't pack the main sassy and some backup sassies when taking my sister out to lunch or to the library, or to sleep over their houses.

However, Karrie's attachment to her mouth plug lasted a little longer than most other childrens.' She was four when she finally said goodbye. And it was traumatic for her. My mom marched her over to the bathroom garbage pail. She gingerly placed my sister's last remaining sassy at the bottom of the pail, and told my sister her sassy was going to "sassy heaven" and that she'd see it again someday. My mom then held Karrie's hand and led her out of the bathroom. Karrie, however, materialized several minutes later with the sassy firmly inserted in her mouth. Yes, she had dug it out of the garbage. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Several times. Finally, my sister let it go. I still think she cries over the tragic loss of her sassy, some 24 years later. You might want to ask her about it.

Hopeful Mother, Ramona, and Beagle ask: Do you and Rich have names picked out for Beastie?

Kristi answers: Yes, we do. Well, sort of. Rich is a teacher. His position automatically casts down the death knell on several names I've liked because of the negative connotation of the name associated with particular students who have, shall we say, less than stellar personality traits or behaviors. For example, we'll never have a child named Kyle (although neither of us is that fond of the name anyway), because Rich has taught a string of Kyles who exhibited behavior similar to that of a spastic toy poodle on crack.

That said, we are about 90% positive of our boy's name, and much less so of our girl's name. If Beastie is a boy (which is my suspicion), his name will be Noah or possibly Brady. The girl's name is much more difficult because we each want a different (albeit similar) name. If Rich reigns supreme and Beastie is a girl (which is Rich's suspicion), her name will be Isabella. If I "win," her name will be Ella. My dear husband is under the impression that if we just name her Isabella, I can call her Ella for short. I respond to this nugget with, "Well, then let's just call her Ella and eliminate the nickname issue." Truth be told, he wants to call her Izzi. So we'll have a child with an identity complex issue very early on. Feel free to chime in with your vote. And don't worry, I'll still love you even if you side with my husband. Maybe.

Ramona asks: Will you videotape the birth?

Kristi answers: Nope. I'm having a c-section due to prior abdominal surgeries, and despite all the medical intervention, surgeries, procedures, and hospital stays I've had throughout my entire life, I have no desire to see Beastie yanked from a bloody slit in my stomach. I think even if I were delivering naturally, I probably wouldn't want it taped either. I'm highly encouraging Rich to avoid viewing the "Beastie extraction" because he has a bit of a "queasy tummy" issue himself, and I want him upright and awake to take multiple pictures and hold Beastie once he/she is out, since I probably won't be able to. We also don't have a video camera (although my digital camera can take short films) and have no plans to buy one right now, given all the other Beastie expenses we have, so there you have it.

Stay tuned for the next installment of your IW questions answered coming soon.

13 Responses to “You've Got Questions? I've Got Answers. Part 1”

  1. # Blogger Christine

    Oh how I loved the pacifier. Oh so much. It got bounced to the garbage at two and I mourned it. (And also pulled it out of the trash on more than one occasion! Don't feel bad Karrie.) My parents used the reasoning that I had to get rid of it as a "big sister" whose own BABY sister didn't want the baby pacifier. Stupid little sister.  

  2. # Blogger M

    Ok. I have another question. Will you breastfeed?  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    LOL!! We were lucky in the pacifier department -- our boy lost interest in it at 2 or 3 months. I know one "issue" is that the binky prevents them from learning to self-soothe, as they can with a finger/thumb. Though you can take the binky away, and well... you can't do that with the thumb! Pros and cons to each... Funny funny funny about your sis! Karrie, you've been outed!

    Love the names! I especially like Isabella when combined with the last name. I love a well syncopated name. Ella is a very pretty name too. You can't go wrong with any of your choices, IMHO.  

  4. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    I love your name choices for both a girl and a boy. I would vote for Noah over Brady, though, but I don't know your last name so I can't say for certain which would sound better.

    We have the same issue as you do with Rich - my husband teaches (college) so he has a lot of "name aversions" too, and my mom taught kindergarten for 25 years so she has a massive list of no-no names. (We won't be soliciting her input, though!)  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I support your cousin's suggestion.... Beastie shall be named Jennifer II!
    Actually your choices sound much more unique. I like all of the them as long as Rocko stays off the list.  

  6. # Blogger Binulatti

    OMG. I cannot believe you've outed my sassy addiction. Faux pas! Of course I'm kidding, but this does entitle me to enlighten your fair readers about your childhood toenail biting habit. Bet that's hard to do at 8 months, eh? Sisterly love. Can you feel it?
    (And Christine - nice to know I wasn't the only one out there with a little overattachment to the sassy!)  

  7. # Blogger beagle

    Isabelle has always been "my" girl name. Sadly my SIL beat me to it this past February, only days after a failed IVF, so the name holds a lot of sadness for me. (For the record, she had no idea I was attached in any way to this name, just a cruel twist of bad luck.)

    So, I'll vote for Ella!

    I kind of like Noah, but would never have thought of it. Just as long as you don't live in Seattle!  

  8. # Blogger Leslie

    YAY voting! I like voting! Casting mine for Noah and Ella (makes me think of Ella Fitzgerald whose voice I loooove). My ex's sister's cat's name is Isabella and they call her Izzi. I used to really like the name 'til she used it on her skitty kitty. And I know a little girl named Ella, who is sweet and good natured but very, very curious and inquisitive.  

  9. # Blogger Shannon

    I used to bite my toenails as a kid too--then I switched to my cuticles and fingernails. And Karrie has continued the pacifier habit, only it switched to cigarettes (not anymore, however) and delicious boozy drinks. Same with me and the drinks, come to think of it. Once an oral fixator, always an oral fixator!  

  10. # Blogger Ramona

    I personally, love the names Ella, AND Isabella! They are both very pretty, feminine names.  

  11. # Blogger Kristi

    Christine-LOL. See, Karrie. You aren't alone. Great story!

    M-Yup, I'm breastfeeding, or at least I hope to.

    Caryl-Wow-Sara weaned herself. Impressive.

    Annelynn-Yay! one point for me. ;)

    Marie-Two to three months? That's great! And I'm glad you like the name choices. :)

    Hopeful Mother-It's funny how names of virtual strangers influence one's like or dislike of the name. My mom is a teacher as well, and she has quite a few "no way!" names as well.

    Jenny-Absolutely, unequivocally, 100% NO to Rocco. Rich will be crushed, but there's no way Rocco is happening.

    Karrie-Outed! Actually, I just have Rich bite them for me now. Much easier.

    Beagle-I'm sorry you didn't get to use Isabelle. I'm nowhere near Seattle (although my sister lives there) so Noah is yours to use if you have a son!

    L-I knew I liked you! Another point for me and for Ella!

    Shannon-That Karrie is one orally fixated girl, isn't she?

    Ramona-Thanks!

    Christy-Nope. We didn't find out the sex. Baby arrives in 5.5 weeks, so we're holding out until then.  

  12. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I have friends who named their little girl Isabella, and they always call her Queen Isabella! At first we all giggled when we said it, now everyone calls her that. I like both names. Ella is very nice.  

  13. # Blogger Dawn

    I never was crazy about the pacifier idea (everyone has an opinion on baby stuff, if you haven't discovered that yet, watch out!), but then it turned out not to matter, my son wouldn't ever take one. He would put it in his mouth and then pull it out, smiling, and look at it, knowing what was supposed to happen, but never making it work quite right.

    Ok, now don't hate me, but I think I sort of like your hubby's idea on the name thing (*ducking* in case you throw anything, I remember those hormones), plus I can imagine a graceful, stunning woman in her late twenties, early thirties named Isabella. I know, I have an active imagination.

    And I am right there with you on the whole video tape thing. I know that it's exciting, but I think that we forget the details (pain) of giving birth on purpose; otherwise, there would never be siblings for those first kids.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly