My Action-Packed 4th of July

We usually have my extended family's 4th of July picnic, as we do all other large family gatherings, at my grandma's house. But this year, because my uncle and his family who live in CT are in town, having rented a house on Keuka Lake, about an hour and a half from where I live, the party was moved there this year.

Turns out, there isn't much in the way a slow-moving 32 weeks pregnant girl can do at a picnic, except sit around and eat. However, I did find a few ways to entertain myself.

A boat came with the house rental, so my uncle fired up the engine, and I went parasailing! It literally felt like I was flying, so now I know first-hand what those baby robins in the nest in my backyard are in for in a few weeks. Beastie was kicking me like mad during the ascent, but settled in for the ride quite nicely once we were at the maximum height.


Next, I played volleyball with all my cousins. Can you believe no one originally wanted me on their team when sides were chosen? I'm a two-for-one deal, and still, I was last picked. I showed them, as the Beastie Belly scored five points all on his/her own. Holla!


And then there were the cocktails. My uncle is famous for his blue martinis, and Beastie and I partook excessively. After the fact, Rich had to haul my drunk arse out of the lake after a little topple off the dock. As you can see, it wasn't one of my finer moments.



I am kidding, of course. In reality, all I did was sit around, enjoying the water, and letting various relatives touch my belly, while demanding that Beastie kick them, move, or perform calisthenics. We left about 8:30, and caught some fireworks from the car on the way home.

And just because I know you are all as obsessed with the birds in the nest in my backyard as I am, I offer you yet another picture. We watched them practically all day on Saturday, as both the mother and the father made multiple fly-in food deliveries to the four hungry mouths.




Did anyone do anything fun for the 4th yesterday?

11 Responses to “My Action-Packed 4th of July”

  1. # Blogger M

    You scared me a little when you said you got drunk. I've heard a drink here or there won't hurt...but I didn't think you would risk it. :)  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Amusing. Maybe if you'd started with saying you played volleyball you could've kept me going with this post, but I was on to you after you started with parasailing :-)  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    Ha ha ha!

    I've always wanted to try parasailing! Keuka is my favorite of the Finger Lakes. Sounds like a great day, even if all you did was sit!  

  4. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    I thought I could see the "Beastie Bump" silhouette in that parasailing picture!

    HA!

    Glad your 4th was relaxing and fun.

    Ours was exciting too, but in a different way...

    Thanks for your comments on my blog - always appreciated!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    LOL!! I did the same thing--my heart nearly stopped when you said that about getting drunk!! You're such a kidder! :):) Hee. Wait--you didn't parasail? Beastie would have liked that. :)  

  6. # Blogger Shannon

    I did absolutely nothing for the Fourth. I didn't even leave the house, truth be told. I'd been to three parties three nights in a row and was socialed out. I did get to watch Colin react to his first fireworks, however! That was funny! He didn't hide, he was just alarmed in that funny puzzled cat way.  

  7. # Blogger Leslie

    Wait, does that mean you didn't go parasailing? I wish I had tried parasailing while I was in Maui.

    I spent the day at a BBQ and then watched the professional fireworks show over Lake Union from my balcony. And then I heckled the people stuck in traffic on my street. Ok, not really, but I did think "heh heh SUCKAS!" Oh, wait. I bought the parasailing story you spun. I guess I'm the sucka.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    awww I feel for you!
    But just enjoy it cause it wont be long til your baby belly is gone!  

  9. # Blogger Kristi

    M-No, no. No drinks for me. Haven't touched alchol since I started my IVF cycle in October! God, I could use a drink now though!

    Jenny-You know me too well!

    Marie-Keuka Lake is beautiful. I love it too.

    Hopeful-Beastie loves to parasail, of course. :)
    My fingers are crossed for you.

    Sher-hee-hee. Yes, I'm a big kidder. ;)

    Shannon-My cats HATE fireworks. They hide under the couch. Colin is one brave kitty.

    L-LOL. Sounds like a fun 4th.

    Clare-I know. I can't wait! 48 days to go. :)  

  10. # Blogger Ramona

    AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    You had me fooled! I thought to myself, what the hell is she doing PARASAILING?!?!?!?!  

  11. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly