A Womb with a View

I had my 19 week ultrasound today, and was able to resist the temptation to find out the gender of the little Beastie. My husband wanted to keep it a secret, and originally, so did I. However, as today neared, I think if he had wanted to know the gender as well, I would have jumped at the chance.

Turns out, though, we likely wouldn't have been able to find out the sex because of the position of the baby. Beastie was facing downward, with his/her face turned inward toward my back. Also, Beastie's body was curled into the fetal position, making identification of his/her "parts" all but impossible. Toward the end of the ultrasound, Beastie graced us with a partial face shot, which I can't help but liken to a certain cartoon character from my childhood.

You can't ask the sonographer any questions, because she's not a doctor and can't give you her views on anything she sees. However, she did tell us at the end that everything looks good. We saw two arms and two legs. We saw the heart beating away, and the tiny little bladder and the kidneys. Beastie measured perfectly, and was even two days ahead of schedule (19w5d instead of the 19w3d I actually am). Every ultrasound is looked at by my practice's perineonatologist, and then a copy will be faxed to my doctor. If I don't hear anything from her within the next 2-3 days, I can assume all is well.

Right now, I just feel blessed and lucky, despite the last 18 hours or so, where I've had the worst round ligament/stretching pain so far, which has made pretty much all movement, including walking, pretty painful. There are so many women with infertility (and yes, I still consider myself one of them) who have not had the amazing experience of seeing life growing within that I saw this morning. I went through IVF and received the best possible outcome. Many others aren't as lucky. And for this, I will forever be grateful.



I love this Beastie more than anything, but this shot, and that EYE, creeps me out. It makes me want to yell....
"By the power of Greyskull!!!!"

12 Responses to “A Womb with a View”

  1. # Blogger Christine

    OH MY GOOD GOD!

    You know I cannot resist a Skeletor reference. You are so my hero.

    And, congratulations a million times over. I want to buy you onesies and crazy outfits with pictures of beasts and goofy "monsters" on them for your own wee little Beastie. (maybe someone we know has a wee shopping problem...)  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Oh!!! Those are wonderful pictures Kristi! I'm smiling all over... this post gave me chills.

    I'm so happy for you guys!!

    {{Big hugs to Kristi}}  

  3. # Blogger Binulatti

    How long have you waited to use that subject line? Ha!I think little Beastie was trying to tell you that he/she "was ready for my closeup". Also, don't discount the idea that it could be She-Ra in there.
    Feel better w/those aches/pains.
    :-(  

  4. # Blogger Shannon

    Kristi, there are baby onesies/tees with mythical beasties on them! I saw them on Boing Boing not too long ago. Here it is:

    http://hipsterbabyts.blogspot.com/  

  5. # Blogger eat stuff

    That is so cool Kristi!!!  

  6. # Blogger D

    Very exciting! So glad everything looked good. I go this afternoon. I will try to figure out how to post pictures ( not too technilogically inclined) Hoping our little monkey is cooperative and shows us what he/she is made of!  

  7. # Blogger Ramona

    Hey! You're halfway there!!!!!  

  8. # Blogger Leslie

    Oh, my! I got a feeling Beastie's gonna be a feisty one (seems to run in your fam). But still, how cool to see!  

  9. # Blogger Kristi

    Christine-He-man and Skeletor rocked, didn't they? And the resemblance to the Beastie is uncanny, huh? ;)

    Marie-aww.. thank you!

    Marie-Oh don't you worry. There will be millions of photos shot of the Beastie. And it's definitely a little more real now.

    Karrie-It very well might be She-Ra in there. But my gut (no pun intended) says Skeletor.

    Shannon-OMG, those onesies are hysterical. Every baby needs a onesie with a giant squid on it!

    Clare-I agree!

    D-I hope he/she co-operated too. Posting pics is a breeze on blogger. All you have to do is click the Picture button in the post toolbar, and upload from there.

    Ramona-Almost!

    L-LOL. You're probably right!  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Well, you managed to make me feel all kinds of feelings--awe, chills, maternal pangs--and mirth!!! Now that's some baby!!!!! Wonderful. Thanks for sharing that with us, it's so special!  

  11. # Blogger Kristi

    Blessed-It's very cool indeed, and the experience is made even more special because it's something I thought I'd never get to experience.

    Sher-You're welcome! I'm feeling all those things too!  

  12. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly