Navel Gazing

Since "coming out" at work earlier this week, I've noticed a strange behavioral quirk developing in my co-workers. They don't maintain eye contact me with when we're talking. Instead their eyes stray...frequently...to my belly.

If I'm walking down a hallway one way, and a co-worker is walking toward me in the opposite direction, I'm smiling in greeting and looking at that person's face. My co-worker is staring at my stomach.

When I'm in someone's office talking to that person, I again maintain eye contact. Oftentimes that person's eyes are shifting from my face, to my belly, to my face, and back to my belly.

Funny thing is, there really isn't all that much to look at yet. And if I'm wearing one of the bigger maternity shirts I own, you can't even tell there's any bulge at all. I just look, well, fat. Some of the empire waist shirts do show a hint of the belly, but nothing that I would deem...mezmerizing.

Are they afriad the baby is going to emerge from my stomach like something out of Alien and attack them? Are they afraid I'm going to go into labor right before their eyes?

What in the hell are they staring at?

8 Responses to “Navel Gazing”

  1. # Blogger Diane Viere

    Nah--you're not fat! They're just jealous....you can wear comfortable belly-bulging clothes! They're probably sitting there...with their tight-waisted skirt....wishing they could breathe!


    ENJOY this time! It's the only time in your life....that you can let it all hang out! So to speak...of course. It's a wonderful time of your life--I hope...it was for me...all three times. I felt like I was doing something very special....and you are too.

    Diane  

  2. # Blogger Ramona

    They're just trying to figure out how far along you are...curiosity and stuff.
    Hey...BTW...The Lord of the Rings just opened up in Toronto yesterday, and this is THE ONLY place in the world where it is playing!
    You must come to Toronto!!!  

  3. # Blogger Shannon

    This woman has tagged those folks as the dreaded Staring Squad!:

    http://sheknows.com/about/look/484.htm  

  4. # Blogger Dawn

    I agree with kross-eyed kitty, people are fascinated. I think it's exaggerated even more in those who don't have kids of their own. You have probably stirred up some baby-thoughts in your coworkers minds.  

  5. # Blogger Kristi

    PYYP: LOL. I like your idea. And I agree, it is a very special time. I just have to learn to relax enough to enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!

    Ramona-I read about LOTR! Are you planning on seeing it? I'd love to hear how it is.

    Shannon-Ha! That article is funny. I like what she says about belly patting too. Thanks for sharing it.

    Dawn-There's definitely a weird fascination going around all right!  

  6. # Blogger Marie

    Just wait til they start touching you! Oh wait, you work with mostly men, right? That probably won't happen so much at work. Gotta say, it's hard to look the other way when there's a miracle in progress...  

  7. # Blogger Binulatti

    Ewe's not fat, ewe's fluffy.  

  8. # Blogger Binulatti

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly