30 in 30 Project: The Lullaby of Broadway

I must confess-I am a musical theatre geek. Now mind you, I have absolutely no talent in this area myself, despite having many musically talented friends. But I am an absolute sucker for a Broadway show. And in my 20s, my love of all things musical really took off.

My core group of friends in high school were all, in one way or another, involved in our school's musical productions. Whether it was tootin' on the flute in the orchestra pit or acting on stage, I went to see them in a lot of shows. And I grew up around theatrical productions as well. My mom used to take my sister and me to children's theatre all the time, and we went to see The Nutcracker around Christmas each year.

Throughout our dating and married years, my husband and I traveled to NYC and Toronto quite often to see Broadway shows. We've seen Rent seven times, making us Rentheads, I believe. We've also seen Wicked, Phantom of the Opera (I've seen it three times), Cats, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Lion King, Les Miserables, Art, Hairspray, The Producers, 42nd Street, Mamma Mia (twice), Titanic (not so good), I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, Fame, Grease, Movin' Out, and others that I'm forgetting.

We saw Montel Williams (yes, the Montel Williams) at Hairspray and Rudy Guiliani at Mamma Mia. We met one of our favorite actors from the Toronto production of Rent outside the theatre where it was playing. We have multiple soundtracks from the musicals, and we take them on long car trips to sing along (remember, I already said I was a geek, so... I know). For me, there's nothing quite like sitting in a darkened theatre, listening to a live orchestra, and watching a huge, splashy, and colorful story unfold on stage.

Now that I'm approaching 30 (Gulp. A mere 8 days away now), I still love musical theatre as much as I always did. I'm so glad I've had the opportunity to visit NYC so many times and see as many of these shows as I have. Something tells me my annual Broadway pilgrimages to the holy land are going to be few and far between in the coming years.

9 Responses to “30 in 30 Project: The Lullaby of Broadway”

  1. # Blogger Geekwif

    I love musical theatre too, but haven't seen anywhere near as much as you have. Living close enough to take the trek to New York now and then must be nice.

    I've only been to New York once. Of course, while we were there we had to take in a Broadway show. We saw Phantom of the Opera and it is an experience I will never forget.  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    I enjoy musicals too & grew up listening to the 8-tracks of West Side Story, The Sound of Music, etc. I sang in the chorus for Oklahoma & have played in orchestras for musicals (high school).

    You'll have a different kind of musical at your house before long... "The wheels on the bus go round and round..." complete with hand motions! ;-)

    I'm sure your little one will grow up dancing to & enjoying your musical soundtracks too!  

  3. # Blogger D

    8 days till the big one! For me, it seemed like 30 started before I actually turned 30, because 29 was "almost 30" When I did hit the big "30" I was in a bad place (just split up with my ex-husband and thinking "what do I do now, no one will want a slightly used, bitter 30 year old") Luckily things changed for the better very quickly. Glad that you are in a happier place. Turning 30 with a baby on the way is perfect! Happy birthday week!  

  4. # Blogger Christine

    I have a feeling that in time, you will be making those annual trips to the big city little one in tow. AND how exciting will that be!  

  5. # Blogger Kristi

    Geekwif-Phantom is a great show, isn't it? And the recent movie adaptation wasn't half bad either.

    Marie-I didn't know you were a chorus girl! I hope baby liked musicals or he/she is going to be very unhappy in my house.

    D-I'm glad your 30s are better than your 30th year. Having the baby will definitely make this birthday easier for me.

    Caryl-Sara doesn't know what she's missing! Musicals are a great escape from everyday life, just like movies or books.

    Christine-Baby in the city would be quite the adventure. Maybe when he/she gets older, but hopefully a grandma will step in to babysit in the meantime!  

  6. # Blogger Ramona

    Come to Toronto! I'll babysit! :)  

  7. # Blogger Dawn

    Hi Kristi! 8 days...whew, I feel your "excitement!" I'm so glad that you are so far along with the baby. 17 weeks is a long time so I'm sure it's probably less scary than it was early on. I just have one piece of advice to offer: get as much sleep now as you can. Because if your little one is like ours was, you won't be getting a good night's sleep for a while! Being nervous new parents doesn't help, either! Do you have anything big planned for your birthday?  

  8. # Blogger Kristi

    Ramona-How much do you charge? ;)

    Dawn-Yes, it is less nerve-wracking now, definitely. I still have my nervous moments, though. As for my birthday, no big plans. We're going out to dinner with some friends the day after, and I'm sure my family will have a cake for me next week. I'm not really a "big party" kind of gal.  

  9. # Blogger Unknown

    Did you get to see The Producers with Nathan Lane?
    I would pretty much give anything to see Nathan Lane live.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly