"So Where are the Jugglers?" My Surprise 30th Birthday Party

On Friday night, my husband told me we were going to the Memorial Art Gallery to attend an open house for Young Audiences, a group of performers, artists, singers, and jugglers who visit elementary schools as part of students' art curriculum. As the Enrichment Teacher in his elementary school, it's part of my husband's job to preview and book these individuals to entertain the students. Spouses were invited, so he asked me to come along.

What I ended up attending was not the Young Audiences open house, but my very own suprise 30th birthday party attended by 35-40 people (my entire in-town family, my sister from Seattle, and my closest friends). I was completely and totally surprised, and I like to pride myself on knowing everything...all of the time. It was held in the gallery's restaurant, Cutler's.

It was a fantastic party, that apparently had been in the works since last fall. My husband didn't go to work on Friday, as I thought he did. Instead, he took the day off to pick up my sister from the airport, pick up my cake, confirm last-minute details at Cutler's, and hang out with my sister, mom, and grandma at my great aunt's house. He came home at the normal time, so I never suspected a thing.

I had so much fun, and it truly felt like I was at my wedding all over again, albeit on a much smaller scale, since so many different groups of people from my life attended my party. I generally have a hard time being the center of attention, but almost immediately I relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed myself. #4 even behaved (although not for the entire weekend, but that's a tale for another day) by taking a ton of pictures and burning them to a CD, which we played during a family dinner on Saturday night.

So I now feel like I've entered 30 (albeit six days early) in style. I no longer feel like spending the day in bed with a blanket over my head mourning the loss of my 20s. Instead, I feel very blessed-to have a wonderful husband who put so much time and effort into this party, to have a family who continually makes me feel loved and valued, and to have long-time friends to celebrate life's milestones with.

A few people who read this blog attended my party, so to Marie, Jenny, Karrie, and Rich-Thank you! I can never say that enough!


The invitation my husband sent out. This picture of me has been taped above my grandma's stove for as long as I can remember.


Walking up the stairs to my party, my dear husband behind me. "These people don't look like jugglers to me!"


Me and my girls. Black hides the "other" girls pretty well.


Karrie used that same tongue to lap up that glass of wine in front of her in 40 seconds flat.


Me, taking a bite out of the 21st century (finally) with my new digital camera, courtesy of my mom, Karrie, friend Jenny, and husband! Whoo-Hoo!


The very cool paper the digital camera was wrapped in, made by Karrie, of course. The pictures are of all the people who chipped in to buy the gift.

The best t-shirt I've ever owned. I'm wearing this shirt home from the hospital, because unfortunately, there's no way it's fitting me now.

Me, the party-thrower (my husband), and the best gift I received, an unexpected visit from my sister.

11 Responses to “"So Where are the Jugglers?" My Surprise 30th Birthday Party”

  1. # Blogger eat stuff

    Wow
    That looks like fun!

    I am so glad you had a great day :)

    I am excited about the photos you are going to publish ;)  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I just woke up and am bleary eyed. But, your party pictures had me laughing. Better than a cup of coffee. Love the invitation!!!! And the T-shirt.  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    Hubby did a great job pulling off the surprise! Very nice party! Now you get to party all week too!! What a great way to usher in the 30's...

    One of the first things my hubby asked me when we got there was to point out #4! (I had prepped him)  

  4. # Blogger Christine

    Aww. It looks like such a wonderful time.

    And welcome to the age of the digital camera, from the girl who doesn't even own a regular one. ;)  

  5. # Blogger Shannon

    That looks like it was a lot of fun! I'm glad to hear #4 behaved himself but remember, you promised to tell us the tale of his behavior the rest of the weekend later!  

  6. # Blogger Binulatti

    Keepin' secrets is the new black, or so I'm told. :-P
    I miss you already!
    xo
    K  

  7. # Blogger Ramona

    What a fabulous way to usher in your 30's! Your husband is a pretty wonderful guy to plan such a great surprise.
    Have a fantabulous week celebrating!
    ps: love the wrapping paper! How did Karrie do that?!  

  8. # Blogger Geekwif

    Sounds like a great party! I'm glad you are feeling better about the 30s now. Trust me. They're really not all that bad.  

  9. # Blogger Kristi

    Caryl-I wish you could have been there too!

    Clare-It was so much fun, and I'm excited to start using my camera.

    Sher-Thanks! I'm glad I could start your morning off with a giggle.

    Marie-Ha! Yeah, you can't miss #4.

    Alisha-Welcome back! I wondered where you disappeared to! And thanks for the compliment. ;)

    Christine-No regular 35mm camera? Okay, I don't feel so bad now. :)

    Shannon-Oh don't you worry. I will.

    Karrie-I miss you too, sickie.

    Ramona-Thank you! And I love the wrapping paper too. I have no idea how she did it, but it probably involved Photoshop. Karrie?

    Geekwif-It really was so nice. Bring on the 30s!  

  10. # Blogger Binulatti

    Yup, Photoshop au-go-go.
    And some of the pics were taken from this here blog!  

  11. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly