Can I Get an Amen?

I've never understood the Log Cabin Republicans, a national group of gay and lesbian Republicans. Yes, you read that correctly: Republicans. Who are gay. And lesbian. You'd think there could never be a more paradoxical group of individuals, right? I just don't get it. How can you belong to a political party whose leaders by and large despise you as a human being, and who are doing everything in their power to make sure you can never exercise any of 1,400 legal rights granted to married heterosexual couples in the United States?
Andrew Sullivan is a Log Cabin Republican. If you're a fan of Real Time with Bill Mahar, you've likely seen him on the show. Now, I disagree with a lot of what he says, obviously. But, to be fair, he didn't support W in the latest election, and he's very critical of the administration these days, as any thinking person should be. And a few days ago, he posted a little nugget on his blog that redeemed him slightly in my eyes. My friend Andy sent this post to me, the summary of which is as follows:
"In Annapolis, Maryland, at a hearing on the proposed Constitutional Amendment to prohibit gay marriage, Jamie Raskin, professor of law, was requested to testify and he did so.

At the conclusion of his testimony, a right-wing senator rose to say, "Mr. Raskin, my Bible says that marriage shall occur only between a man and a woman. What do you have to say about that?"

Professor Raskin replied, "Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."

The room erupted into applause."
This is one of the most intelligent things I've heard in a really long time. Now, I wonder if Jaime Raskin is married?

7 Responses to “Can I Get an Amen?”

  1. # Blogger Shannon

    I had a work colleague who was a Log Cabin Republican. I got the impression from him that being "Republican" just meant that he was for Big Business and that was about it. Is that really enough justification to make you a Log Cabin Republican, or any kind of Republican for that matter? I really don't get it either. I soooo wanted to ask him about it but didn't know him well enough to, as well as never wanting to bring up politics in a work setting. I decided that being a Log Cabin Republican was just another way to meet cute guys in nice suits. ;)  

  2. # Blogger Binulatti

    One of my upper crust coworkers is a mega-genius, laid-back, 30-something, 'dude' who is surprisingly likeable and cool for his wealth/position. He's also a "fiscal Republican" and makes no excuses for it. It's really a paradox because I tend to think of party lines as pretty black or white. Republicans = stupid, evil ignorant, etc. You know? He's not a god-nazi, not a bigot and yet affiliates himself with the International Embarassmebnt party "for the money" essentially. My thought is that the "Log Cabins" are just rich people who happen to like the same sex, but because they don't have to struggle in the world for the 1400 rights (many of them finance-related) associated w/marriage they just let those "social issues" fall by the wayside. In other words it's 'all about the Benjamins' girlfriend.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Fantastic story, thank you for sharing it.  

  4. # Blogger Ramona

    I've never heard the term Log-cabin Republican before...so I had to google it! I've learned something new again!  

  5. # Blogger Leslie

    I'm with Binulatti on the Benjamins and their GF's. Can you say Mary Cheney?  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Shannon and Karrie-Yup, I agree. If it's all about money, then make yourself a social Democrat and a fiscal Republican. Don't identify yourself with a party that hates who you are.

    Thalia-I'm glad you liked it.

    Ramona-Happy to help your learning process!

    L-Exactly. And thanks for the visit.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I've never understood the Log Cabin Republicans either...and I love that Raskin quote.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly