Lemon Ricotta Biscuits

Little Big Head and I are pals. Not real pals, of course, but we have a date every weekday at 4:30pm. She cooks for me, while I walk on the treadmill. It's a strange, somewhat masochistic relationship really, as she clearly doesn't eat what she cooks (at least by the saucer-sized circumference of her waist) and I'm trying to eat healthy and not gain 100 pounds while pregnant (hence the treadmill). But we get along just fine. And she's entertaining to watch while exercising, if for no other reason than I get to spend time trying to figure out how it is that she has twice the number of teeth in her mouth that I do, and how she manages to balance that ginormous head on that teeny, tiny pencil-thin neck. But I digress.

One day two weeks ago, Little Big Head was featuring everyday desserts, and prepared her grandmother's Lemon Ricotta Biscuits. As a sucker for all things lemon, I decided to give these a try this past weekend. They're yummy, easy to make, and are denser than a muffin, but not as crumbly as a biscuit. And the lemon zest and lemon juice in the recipe will make your kitchen smell wonderful both during prep and while they're baking.

Nonna's Lemon Ricotta Biscuits

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar or more as needed for sprinkling
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
1 large egg
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup thinly sliced almonds (I omitted)

Directions

Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl to blend.

Using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup sugar, butter, and lemon zest in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the ricotta. Beat in the egg, lemon juice, and almond extract. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until blended (the batter will be thick and fluffy).

Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the almonds and then the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar over the muffins.

Bake until the muffins just become pale golden on top, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.

9 Responses to “Lemon Ricotta Biscuits”

  1. # Blogger Ramona

    LMAO! I knew EXACTLY who you were referring to as Little Big Head before I even clicked on it!
    I love her cooking show, she's made some very yummy things!  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    These are the things I'm missing out on, not having cable... I've never seen Little Big Head! I looked & she doesn't look familiar...

    These sound & look fantastic Kristi!! You'll be able to open a bakery soon... and I'll be first in line!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Those look tasty!
    Making me hungry for lunch now!
    Do you have the Pampered Chef lemon zester in your aresnal of products?  

  4. # Blogger Leslie

    Oh, lordy! I've spent much time pondering her blockhead and how it's balanced (maybe the big hair helps somehow?) on her stick neck. Oh, and the teeth - those choppers put Jaws to shame. Nevertheless, she's so darn charming, you can't help but hate to love her. Did you see her tea tray? WOW!  

  5. # Blogger Diane Viere

    Am I the only one who could smell these nummy muffins????? Mouth is watering--need to go make dinner!

    Diane  

  6. # Blogger Shannon

    I think I just drooled a little on my keyboard. I sense my diet going out the window t'mrow! I can't make cakes or pies or even bread really but muffins are right up my basic cooking skills alley!  

  7. # Blogger Christine

    So they look completely delish. And like kross-eyed, I knew exactly who you were talking about too...which probably is also an indication of how I should spend less time with my friend TV and more time, say, reading for exams?  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    LOL!! I figured you were talking about her. My friend and I speculate about her and how many calories she consumes in a day. Not many, I bet. But, I do like her show. I envy you with your treadmill. Mine broke a couple weeks ago. Now I have to go to the gym. Ugh! The biscuits look fabulous!  

  9. # Blogger Kristi

    Ramona-As funny as she is to look at, I love her show too. And all the amazing kitchens she gets to work in.

    Marie-You must check out Little Big Head on the Food Network sometime. And I would love to open a bakery. Yum!

    Jenny-No PC lemon Zester. I did, however, use my PC microplaner to zest the lemons.

    L-You may be on to something. I think the ginormous hair does help balance the head. And yes, the tea tray was fantastic, and I'm not even a big tea fan.

    Diane-Hee-hee. They're a great pre-dinner snack!

    Shannon-these are a breeze to make!

    Christine-One can never spend enough time watching the Food Network. Exams be damned!

    Sher-if you notice, she takes teeny, tiny little bites of everything she makes...and then likely spits them out as soon as the camera stops rolling.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly