I'm 30! Now Let's Talk About You


So today is my birthday. I'm officially 30. I am not a "20-something." I no longer have at least an age bracket in common with Jake Gyllenhaal (but Jake, if you're reading this, you can still call me!). I may have need for a cane sooner rather than later. But that's...okay.

If you're a frequent visitor here, you know I've posted often in the last few weeks about some memorable experiences of my 20s. I took a class in London. Then I moved to London for five months. I went to graduate school, got married,
visited NYC umpteen times, and endured two years of infertility treatments and underwent IVF, which resulted, miraculously, in the baby I'm now carrying. And to top off the decade, I celebrated last weekend with family and friends at my surprise birthday party.

Are you still with me here?

So today instead of focusing on me and my birthday (because let's face it, ya'll are probably tired of hearing about the last decade of my life by now anyway), I want to hear about your best birthday memory. Was it a quiet celebration? A big bash? Was it 20+ years ago when you were a child or was it last year? Do dish!

And in case you're curious, the picture you see is me on the morning of my 4th birthday. My mom always used to make a humongous deal of both my sister's and my birthdays. She baked birthday cakes in the shape of dogs, bunnies, dolls...really, whatever was striking our fancies in that particular year, and then spend hours hand-decorating them with tiny piped frosting flowers. I was fond of Madame Alexander dolls for many years, which sound like something you'd see in the red-light district of Amsterdam or performing on stage in Vegas, but which were actually quite lovely and beautiful dolls, very unlike those seen in their current offering on their website, which look extremely "tarted-up" and scary. Pictured is one such doll. Apparently at four, I was still fond of the color pink.

12 Responses to “I'm 30! Now Let's Talk About You”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    Happy birthday Kristi!!!

    A favorite birthday memory of mine is when I turned 5 and got my Mrs. Beasley doll. She was the only thing that I wanted. I treasured her and still have her. She's 35 now!

    My 30th and 40th birthdays were wonderful too.

    You got a beautiful day for your birthday!  

  2. # Blogger Farmgirl Susan

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It only gets better from here.

    Birthday memory? Ack. Too early to think. But I'm sure it involved cake. : )  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Happy Birthday!!!

    My favorite birthday memories? I think a huge number of birthdays I had when I was growing up.

    While I was in Brazil, my sister and I used to have these combined birthday parties (even though we had three months difference in our birthday days).

    I remember one, which was probably the best ever -- the Smurfs birthday party! A ton of people were invited, both my sister's friends and mine, family friends, and who knows what else. I think I was turning 7 at the time.

    And my parents had hired people to dress up as Smurfs, so we had Smurfette and a regular Smurf, we had a Smurf cake, with Smurf party favors...

    It was all sooo Smurfy! I love it.

    I'm hoping this coming 30th will also be a birthday to remember... We shall see what happens... At the rate I'm going, it'll be dinner with friends, but maybe I can come up with something more unique in the month or so I have left...

    I hope you have a lovely day!  

  4. # Blogger Christine

    Happy Birthday!

    hmm...favorite birthday?? Not from childhood, but probably my 19th, when a bunch of my friends threw me a surprise birthday party in college. My friends were and continue to be the greatest.

    However, the happiest of birthdays also has honor of perhaps being the day when the ugliest picture of me ever was taken...surprises aren't always pretty...  

  5. # Blogger Ramona

    Happy Birthday!
    My 30th birthday I had a party at the Canadian Embassy in Riyadh! That was pretty memorable...
    My 40th, I had a wonderful backyard party thrown for me, complete with Martha Stewart appetizers, and chinese lanterns.
    The weather is absolutely gorgeous today! I hope you enjoyed it!  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Happy Birthday!!! That is an adorable picture of you. The 30's are the best. Really!  

  7. # Blogger Kristi

    Marie-I remember the pictures you used to take of the little guy with Mrs. Beasley. I think he's way taller than she is now!

    FarmGirl-Thanks for stopping by and for the b-day wishes!

    Veronica-LOL. That's a great birthday memory, and I loved the Smurfs too. And of course, poor, evil Azriel.

    Christine-I was never a fan of surprise parties for myself, before my own this year, of course, but I loved participating in them for other people.

    Ramona-Both your 30th and 40th parties sound awesome. And the weather here yesterday was beautiful too.

    Sher-Thank you!  

  8. # Blogger Geekwif

    Happy Birthday!!!

    Tired of hearing about your 20's? Perish the thought! I've enjoyed your 30 in 30 retrospective.

    I don't remember much about specific birthdays, but my 30th was pretty good. My husband and close friend joined forces to plan a surprise birthday party for me. One of the nicest surprises (other than the gathering of great friends, of course) was the giant bouquet of 30 red roses my hubby gave me.  

  9. # Blogger Shannon

    I don't know if I have an outstanding favorite birthday memory per se. I fondly recall my 16th birthday in which I invited my best friend Anne over to stay the night and for gifts, she gave me a black-n-white scarf and a baby black-n-white pet rat to match! Yes, you heard me, a rat. We both had pet rats and loved them, as they really make the best little pets. Anyway, we went out to dinner with my mom, then stayed up all night, eating junk food and recording a fake radio show on a cassette tape--I still have it!

    Worst birthday: when I turned nine, it was one of my rare Friday the 13th birthdays; I awoke to find my pet hamster dead. Boo.  

  10. # Blogger Kristi

    Geekwif-Wow! What a great gift from your husband! How sweet!

    Shannon-Cool gift from your friend. I miss sleepovers like that. Why don't adults have them too?  

  11. # Blogger Leslie

    My fav is when I turned 21 - but not for the obvious reason. It was early in the night's celebrations (but late in terms of beers) and I told my then 26 y.o. boyfriend that I knew about his toupee. He blinked rapidly, played dumb for a second and then gave up when I gave him a huge eye roll and an exaggerated sigh and hiccupped "I KNOW".  

  12. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly