My Week in Review

It's been such a crazy week for me, that I have had no time to blog! I know, excuses. But I've missed writing here, and visiting my friends' blogs. But the week is over, and I hope to get back into the writing swing of things. Here's some of has what kept me busy this week:

Last Friday (hmmm, technically that was last week. Anyway...) husband and I went to see Brokeback Mountain. I've been waiting for this movie to come out for six months, and it hit the theatres Friday in my city as a "pre-release." I read the Annie Proulx short story, part of a collection in Close Range: Wyoming Stories, last year. Forget all your preconceived notions of what this movie is about. It's a love story. It's not "that gay cowboy movie." It's not X rated. In fact, I think it barely deserves its R rating. It is magnificently acted (I was never a Heath Ledger fan before, but now I completely understand why he's getting all the Oscar buzz for his role in this movie). And of course, Jake Gyllenthaal was incredible. I've been a fan of his for quite some time (wink, wink). It is beautifully filmed. The sweeping shots of Big Sky Country in Wyoming are breathtaking. It's never been a part of the country I've wanted to visit before seeing this film. And its story will break your heart. If you've seen it, let me know what you think.

This week at work, I had to interview several people for the graphic designer/web developer position that's open in my company. Last week my manager and I conducted phone screens of potential candidates, and this week we brought three of them in for face-to-face interviews. The person who held the job previously is moving to NYC (lucky him!). The person who replaces him would be the only other person in my department besides my manager and me. I work for a very small company, and I work very closely with the graphic designer. So it's important to me to hire someone who is both talented, and with whom I am compatible.

It was somewhat incredible to see that two of the three candidates we interviewed did not bring a portfolio of their work with them. All of them had experience, and they were interviewing for a design position. Where was their work? As a writer, I can't imagine going on an interview without samples of my work by which my potential employers can judge my ability to do the job. Yet only one of the people we brought in brought a portfolio. And it turned out this was the candidate that I liked best of the three, but not for this reason. Her work was clean, polished, and professional. She was an artist, and not just a techie. Now, in order to succeed at this job, the right candidate does need a certain amount of web development and coding skills, but if the candidate doesn't have a "designer's eye," I don't think we should hire him or her. She was the only one of the three who did. We have more interviews next week, and that's fine with me. I'm not 100% sold on this candidate, but she's my favorite of the three so far.

And finally, my Christmas decorations. Yes, you've read that correctly. It was just this week that I de-Christmased my house. Pathetic, I know. But I have been so tired when I've arrived home from work that I've had no energy to take down and put away the substantial holidays trimmings that have been all over my house for over a month. So I did it little by little, finishing last night by taking the ornaments off the tree. Now we just have to somehow drag the behemoth outside. We always take our tree to the recycling drop-off point in the park near my house, but this year I'm not sure it will fit in my husband's SUV. He's not going to like it, but I'm going to ask him to at least try.

4 Responses to “My Week in Review”

  1. # Blogger Ramona

    I would love to go and see that movie, it looks SO good! Maybe I'll go check it out this afternoon, if I dare to go outside (it's freezing!)
    Good luck finding the right person for the job, sounds like you know who you're looking for, its just a matter of finding him/her.
    I still have the odd little Chrismas decoration out myself. The only reason I undecorated out tree when I did, was that it barely had any pine needles left on it, it was dry as a bone!  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm so glad to hear from someone who's seen that movie. I was really afraid it would be so stereotyped that it wouldn't be worth seeing, but now I can't wait!

    Good luck on the interviews! That is such a hard job to do, picking through and over people. I can't believe that about the portfolios, that's terrible! I'm guessing that was an easy choice!

    Don't feel bad, I just finished taking all of our stuff out to the "barn" today!!! Ya get busy, and then before you know it, it's March!

    Wishing you a more relaxing week!  

  3. # Blogger Kristi

    Ramona-Brokeback was awesome. I can't recommend it enough. And our tree left a lovely little carpet of needles all over our house.

    Alisha-Yup-Brokeback was incredible. Definitely not stereotyped in the least. I'm glad I'm not the only one slacking on the undecorating process.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. How to lower high blood pressure How to surveillance equipment high blood pressure  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly