A Little Scare

I woke up last night about midnight to use the bathroom. And there was pink on the toilet paper. I was seriously frightened. I woke up husband and he tried to calm me down. I knew in the back of my mind that this kind of thing is common in early pregnancy. I knew that there wasn't a lot of it, that it was pink and not a more ominous red color, and that upon repeated trips to the bathroom, no more was found. But I was freaking out all the same.

I called my OB's emergency after-hours line. The answering service rep. took my name, number, and symptoms, and told me a doctor would call me back. One did, not five minutes later. I told him what was happening, and he very casually told me "it was probably just cervical bleeding" (What?) and that it's very common. Um, okay. It's not common for me! He said to call my doctor's office in the morning and make an ultrasound appointment just to make sure. He could have been prescribing advice for someone with a stubbed toe instead of someone terrified that she was about to lose the baby she has tried for two years to conceive.

So, I tried to get some sleep. On top of all this, I came down with a cold yesterday, so I was having a hard time sleeping for that reason too. I called my doctor's office this morning, got an ultrasound for 10:15am, and...everything was fine. I had my very first tummy ultrasound. No wand! The ultrasound tech squeezed the gel on my stomach, and immediately we saw the baby, who is so much bigger than he/she was last week at this time. She pointed out the heart, which was beating very quickly, and we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time, which was incredible. She scanned my whole uterine cavity looking for the source of the bleeding and couldn't find any. Apparently, sometimes this "just happens." Great.

The good news is that the baby is fine. He or she is measuring correctly with a strong heartbeat, and we got to see him/her again. The bad news is that I think I will continue to freak out anytime I see blood, no matter how many times I'm told that it "just happens." Grrr......

8 Responses to “A Little Scare”

  1. # Blogger Christine

    Ditto to Cara!

    You get some rest where you can. Colds are no fun.  

  2. # Blogger D

    Thank God everything is good. I have gone thru the spotting scare this week too - it is awful! Hope you shake that cold soon. Between the cold and worrying you are probably exhausted,  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh I saw the tag and my heart started to pound, luckily it said little or I might have fainted *phew* I am so glad it is all AOK.

    You look after yourself

    xxx  

  4. # Blogger -A

    Here via Michele. Here's hoping that you have a happy healthy baby!!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Ooooh, what a dollbaby! Takes a great portrait.

    I'm so sorry! I know how scary that is. "just happens" is such great bedside manner, right?

    Take good care of yourself the next few days, and get rid of that cold.  

  6. # Blogger Ramona

    Whew! You gave me a scare!
    Glad that everything is ok. I think that baby is smiling in the photo!
    Take care of yourself, rest up and get rid of that cold.  

  7. # Blogger Kristi

    Cara-Thanks!

    Christine-Thank you. And yeah, cold are no fun, especially when you can't take anything to make you feel better.

    D-It IS awful. I'm sorry you went through it too.

    Clare-Sorry to have scared you. Yes, all is well, thankfully!

    Angela-Thanks for visiting and for the good wishes.

    Alisha-I think he/she is pretty cute too, for a blob. lol.

    Ramona-I'm funneling orange juice as I type this!

    Caryl-Sorry to have scared you! Since yesterday, I've learned that lots of people go through this, many more than those who haven't, at least from what I've heard.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly