Homecoming

After 8 days spent in the NICU and the NICU Annex, the twins came home yesterday afternoon! We didn't anticipate taking them home until at least Friday, and luckily we showed up with their car seats because they needed to sit in them for an hour and have their heart rates and oxygen levels measured. The nurses had wanted to get the car seat checks out of the way for their eventual discharge.
The NICU doctors rounded on them while we were there, and deemed them well enough to take home. So, with their cute "going home" outfits at home, and hospital undershirts on both their top and bottom halves, we loaded them up and took them home to meet their big sister.

We didn't take Isabella to the hospital to visit the twins. She visited me while I was there, but we opted not to take her to the NICU because we didn't want to frighten her, and we wanted her to meet her siblings for the first time in a more relaxed setting.
So yesterday, when we brought them through the door, Isabella was immediately intrigued, very interested, and surprisingly, very gentle. She wanted to hold them. She gingerly touched their feet. And then she got bored and wandered off to wash lettuce in the kitchen with my mom. Babies are boring to a toddler, apparently.
We were so concerned that Isabella would feel left out or dethroned, and we didn't see any signs of her feeling displaced. Of course, we were going out of our way to make her feel like queen for a day ("Are you sure you don't want a fourth cookie, Isabella, because you can totally have one if you want") and that won't last, but we have our fingers crossed.
Their first night home was bad. Very, very bad. They were on the boob and off the boob. They were awake more hours than they were asleep. They peed through numerous outfits and unswaddled themselves repeatedly. I'm hoping for a better night tonight.
We went for a pediatrician appointment this morning for a weight check, and Nicholas remained the same at 4.11 pounds, while Luci gained 3 oz, and now weighs 4.6 pounds. Other than being small, their doctor deemed them perfect. We have to keep sick visitors away because they're more susceptible to respiratory virus than full-term babies, but other than that, these little 34-weekers shouldn't have any additional problems.
And for that, we are immensely and incredibly grateful.

23 Responses to “Homecoming”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    I got tears reading this. I am so, so happy for you. What a blessing for you and your family. That is awesome. Enjoy them. Even while you're exhausted and stressed and completely overwhelmed and sleep deprived, try to remember in the grand scheme of things this will not last long. It will get easier.

    Count your blessings too that Isabella thinks they're boring. Hopefully that will last. ;-)  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    AWESOME! Beautiful pics too... Hope you all get some Zzzzs here and there!  

  3. # Blogger shokufeh

    Welcome home, little ones! It must be nice to have the whole family under one roof, struggles and all.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yippee!! I can't wait to meet them in person - but I will wait - since my 2 little ones carry their share of germs.

    Tell Rich congrats, too. He did have a little something to do with the whole thing :)  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I know I keep telling you this, but it's worth repeating: They are gorgeous!!!

    That picture of Isabella holding Luci looks so much like a picture I have of Hannah holding Jake for the first time. I'm relieved Isabella's initial meeting with the twins went so well. :-)

    Now in two years when they are all squabbling and you're at your wits end, you can refer back to this post!

    And I am super pleased to hear they are healthy and gaining weight. Hurray!

    I really, really, really hope you can get some rest . . . .  

  6. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    Welcome home!

    I hope, and know, that things will get better in the feeding/sleep dept. It just takes a little longer to coordinate 2 babies' schedules than when you were only dealing with 1 at a time with Isabella.

    You are VERY blessed to be home so soon with 34-weekers. They sound and look quite healthy. I am so thrilled for you guys.

    And it's great that Isabella is so "whaaaa?" about the babies right now. There may be issues later, but isn't it nice to not worry about that right now?

    Hugs to you guys, and sending some ZZZs your way.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    So adorable! I'm glad Isabella seems to be doing well, and so sorry that last night was so rough. I hope you are able to get some rest!  

  8. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    Welcome home babies!  

  9. # Blogger Shannon

    ohhh they are all so cute... and look at Isabella holding Luci... ugh.... so sweet... but what got me was Luci and Nicholas in the bed together... touching heads... ugh... soooo sweet... ugh that makes me want another one lol...  

  10. # Blogger Melissa Martin

    They are perfect! Isabella looks like she's doing great too. Congratulation Mommy, Daddy and Big Sis!  

  11. # Blogger Chastity

    This is all just amazing! What a blessing they are. I can't wait to hear about all the ups and downs, hopefully mostly ups :).  

  12. # Blogger kenju

    I love that last photo. When my daughter put her twins to bed as infants, they always ended up beside each other, either holding hands or touching each other.  

  13. # Blogger My Wombinations

    so happy for you...  

  14. # Blogger Damselfly

    What sweet pictures! Those car seats seem to swallow the babies up. I'm so glad you got to bring them home. I hope your following nights go better.

    I bet Isabella will find ways to remain the queen. ;)  

  15. # Blogger Angela

    Welcome Home wee ones! And what beautiful names you've chosen, for all three of your kids. (am particularly fond of Nicholas of course)

    They look absolutely beautiful, and I'm so happy to hear you and Isabella are adjusting fine. I hope you're getting some sleep in there somewhere!  

  16. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Congratulations on your two beautiful bundles finally coming home! Yay! :) SO happy for you. Look at that last picture of the two of them sleeping face-to-face. SO precious!!! Aww, they are just wonderful. I love how you're calling her "Luci" (spelled with an i instead of a y). I hope that you get some sleep, hehe :)  

  17. # Blogger Christine

    Aww! Welcome home little ones! And I love Isabella's look of "uh, what now?" while peering at them. So cute!  

  18. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Well the tears are in my eyes, dear. Your family is BEAUTIFUL. I am so happy they're growing and healthy!!

    I certainly hope Isabella continues to think they're no big deal, but don't be surprised if that changes a zillion times for the next, oh, 18 years or so...

    Also, I hope that the nights get easier. Crossing my fingers for you.

    Congratulations, again!  

  19. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Congratulations on your beautiful babies!  

  20. # Blogger Jesser

    I'm so glad to hear such a great update!!! They are gorgeous and look to be really thriving. I'll be thinking of you guys!!  

  21. # Blogger Jeni

    Incredible! I am totally amazed by you and your little babies:) Glad to hear they finally got to come home and good luck with some better nights soon.  

  22. # Anonymous Anonymous

    beautiful children very nice blog site. I found you some how looking for things on our sons irth defects well one of them esophageal atresia and down syndrome and tracheomalacia and so on. Anyways very wonderful, I wish you all the best.  

  23. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    I've been out of the loop. I'm so glad your twins are alright and that you are doing better. It's great that you were able to bring them home early and that they're doing so well. I love the pic of Isabella holding Luci.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly