32 Week Update: Making Progress

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the supportive comments on my last post. I've been feeling really shitty lately (a combination of a cold that won't go away, Baby B's arse stuck in my side and causing me to be uncomfortable and/or in pain almost all day long, being completely exhausted virtually 24/7, hopefully as a result of my cold, which means I'll regain at least some semblance of energy soon, and of course, the bedrest news), and your kind words helped me to avoid wallowing too long in a pool of my own snot and tears.

I've been a sad, self-pitying sack lately.

Moving on.

I've decided to start posting updates and a photo every two weeks now. Baby A's amniotic fluid issue combined with how I've been feeling lately has made me begin to suspect that I won't make it until my scheduled C-section at 39 weeks. I know this date was very ambitious to begin with because twins seldom stay put that long, but I always imagined I'd make it until at least the beginning of November (I have to vote, after all!) Now? Not so sure.

So, I'm setting shorter goals for myself. As obviously all mothers do, I really, really want my babies to avoid NICU time. Of course, even full-term babies can end up there, but with multiples born early, the chances are much greater due to lung-development issues. The thought of coming home without them is killing me. I'll consider it an accomplishment to get to 34 weeks, and I hope Baby A's amniotic fluid issue lets me last that long. And then, each week after that I'll celebrate as a mini-milestone.

I had a bio-physical profile on Friday, which is basically an ultrasound where instead of taking measurements, the babies' breathing and movement is evaluated. The tech gave both babies an 8 out of a possible 8-the best score. So that was encouraging. Also, she thought there was a bit more amniotic fluid around Baby A than she remembered seeing the last time. Of course, a doctor must evaluate the test, but I was happy with that news.

In prep news, the babies' room has been painted, and yesterday the hubs and my mom's husband set up the cribs. Our guest room is a guest room no longer. My awesome friend Marie also found us another exersaucer at a huge consignment event, so that's one less thing I have to worry about (and yes, sad as it is, I was actually concerned about not finding an exersaucer in time for the twins to use it...when they're about 6 months old).

I still have massive organizing to do, we need to strip and paint one of my grandma's dressers, which she's giving us to use as a dresser/changing table for the twins room, we need to clean out the guest room closet, and myriad other things.

But we're getting there.

Excuse the shitty picture. It was late. I'm still sick. And there is no such thing as a flattering picture of me taken lately.

18 Responses to “32 Week Update: Making Progress”

  1. # Blogger Christine

    Well I for one, think you look absolutely adorable all the damned time even when housing two babies in your abdomen. Really. It isn't fair to the rest of us.

    Try and get some rest while Rich is home for the weekend, and if you need to, lean heavily on friends and family. They won't mind as much as you might think. Plus when those kids are wise teenagers, they can do manual labor in return for the favors. It's never to early to start pimping them out.  

  2. # Blogger Christine

    Oh, also, YAY on more amniotic fluid! Let's hope for bedrest no more!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Just remember that you don't have to do all that massive organizing before the babies come. I know what it feels like to want to have everything done and in its place, but all your babies will need is YOU. They won't care where the heck you change their diapers. ;-)

    Thinking of you . . .  

  4. # Blogger Marie

    I still think you look great, Kristi. I hope that pesky cold leaves you alone soon! You guys are busy... I saw 5-week old twins yesterday & of course thought of you. Two precious babes on their way soon...  

  5. # Blogger sashabro

    I second what Lis said regarding organizing. Also, you look so good, I showed your photo to R and we both agreed you do not even look 31 weeks preggo with one, let alone 2. You are like a model of adorable pregnancy.  

  6. # Blogger MrsSpock

    8 out of 8 for both- what overachievers. Keep it up babies!  

  7. # Blogger Mom24

    Sorry, still thinking you're looking great! Way to go on how they're doing. Still, take it easy. Thanks for the update, we're all pulling for you.  

  8. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Sweetie, you look BEAUTIFUL. And I cannot believe how close you're getting!! You're right. Take it a week at a time with your goals. Every week and day they are with you is that much closer to bigger and stronger babies. You are doing AWESOME, even if you can't see it!

    And you have every right to fret over exersaucers. Moms need to nest and I am glad you have a friend who understood and helped you!  

  9. # Blogger M

    ok. seriously. I was bigger than you and I only had ONE in there! Don't make me drag out the pictures to prove it!! ;)  

  10. # Blogger M

    oh...and do you remember how I had the MOST awful cold ever at the end of my pregnancy? I feel for you, I really do. It's no fun  

  11. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    That's great that Baby A has more fluid! And that so many things are getting done.
    I think you look great. I have to admit that I never really knew anyone that was pregnant with twins (before or after, yes; but not during) and I think you look like a woman carrying just one child. You look really good!  

  12. # Blogger Jeni

    You are such a cute little pregnant lady! Good news about Baby A and good luck with getting things done:)  

  13. # Blogger Jesser

    I'm so glad you had such a good appointment and got some good news on the babies! I hope you can bake them for as long as you want and they don't need any NICU time. Fingers crossed for you and the little ones.  

  14. # Blogger In transit

    So glad both babies are doing well. I also think you look great, never mind the fact you are carrying 2!!
    Keep up the great work housing those babies :)  

  15. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    That's great news as far as the appt. goes. I'm sure everything is fine with the babes.

    It is tough when expecting twins to know exactly what to expect... even with a scheduled C-Section you never know if you'll make it to that point.

    Shorter goals are good (and realistic) and then if you pass them, more power to you! If not, that's fine too. You are in good hands.

    And I think you still look great. (But I know you feel crappy.)  

  16. # Blogger sara

    I'm over from lost and found - just wanted to say congrats on the 32 week mark and wish you the best of luck in the weeks ahead. Hang in there with the modified bedrest - I think the first days are the worst. Soon it gets better (been on bedrest myself since 12 wks and I'm 30wks now). Sounds like you're moving forward with things and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the amniotic fluid keeps increasing :-)  

  17. # Blogger Damselfly

    Aw, you're cute! And your nails look good. Your babies got a perfect score, and you got an exersaucer. I'd say things are looking good. But I know it's easy to worry about things....  

  18. # Blogger Chastity

    I'm sorry to hear of the modified bed rest, but I'm so sure that things are going to be fine. They don't really know what they're looking at when there are two babies in there...it all seems like a guess to me. You're so far along now too...just a few more weeks!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly