Nicholas and Luciana

Thanks for all the sweet congratulatory wishes. The twins are doing as well as can be expected in the NICU. They are both breathing on their own, without the help of the breathing machine. There are milestones, and there are setbacks.

I've not been good at all. I am still in the hospital and will be here through Sunday at least. I haven't yet held my daughter and it's been 48 hours since their birth. I have basically enjoyed one good hour each day since last Friday. The rest of the time I've been in a lot of pain, throwing up, feeling like I need to throw up, or so drained of energy that lifting a cup takes tremendous effort. The problems are the result of my intolerance to pain meds plus the residual effects of acute fatty liver of pregnancy, the condition that led to the twins' early delivery in the first place.

I'll stop blathering now, because I know all you want is the photos. Here are a few to tide you over until I can post some better ones.

This is Lucy.

3:09pm

4 pounds, 9oz



This is Nicholas

3:10pm


5 pounds, 2 oz.



33 Responses to “Nicholas and Luciana”

  1. # Blogger Damselfly

    Oh, they're so sweet, Kristi!

    I'm sorry to hear you feel so bad. That sounds awful. I hope tomorrow will be better and you'll be able to hold all your babies soon. Thoughts and prayers for you...  

  2. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    Great to hear from you, Kristi. I've been thinking about you and the babies all day.

    I'm sorry that you feel like #&$*#$%&. That sucks. I hope the pain and weakness get out of the way soon so you can get to holding and snuggling with those babies of yours.  

  3. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    Is it wrong that I'm jealous that you have internet access in the hospital? I would have loved that lifeline when I was stuck in post-birth hell two + years ago.

    I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well, and hope that you improve quickly and completely. The babies are beyond gorgeous, and now I look like a doofus grinning at my laptop screen.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Kristi, I am so sorry you have not had ample opportunity to hold the babies, and I really do hope your condition improves quickly so you will feel well again.

    Lucy and Nicholas are just beautiful! We have all been doing a tremendous amount of oohing and awing here. :-)  

  5. # Blogger Shannon

    So good to get an update and see photos. Also, and I say this with joy and not sorrow, that Sher would be here commenting and giving you her most heartfelt congratulations if she could! :)  

  6. # Blogger Melissa Martin

    They are absolutely beautiful! I hope you make a quick recovery and the twins come home really soon.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh, honey. Heal and be well soon. Congratulations on your gorgeous babies. So happy they're breathing on their own. And Lucy (!) My favorite girl's name--love it so much, and Nicholas, too. Congrats, again, and I hope you get to hold her soon and that you all go home on Sunday.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    CONGRATULATIONS!

    I'm so glad you're okay! I wondered why you had gone silent!

    I'm happy the twins sound like they're good and you'll be spending more than enough time with them soon.

    They are so cute! I love them already!  

  9. # Blogger sunShine

    They are beautiful. Hope you are feeling better soon. You and the babes are in my thoughts and prayers.  

  10. # Blogger Marie

    Kristi, they are beautiful! I'm sorry you are not doing well... I hope I can come and see you tomorrow - K has been sick & C has been working lots so I haven't been able to get away. Thinking of you LOTS. Sending hugs & prayers to you and the family...  

  11. # Blogger Mom24

    Oh my goodness, those are beautiful babies. You are quite the overachiever developing such a rare condition. I hope you start feeling better very soon. Be good to yourself. Hope the babies have many more milestones than setbacks and that you're all home soon. xoxo  

  12. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I am thinking about you near constantly and hoping for your swift recovery so you can get to bonding. I had no idea the condition was so serious. The babies are, of course, beautiful. I am confident that soon all of this will be behind you and all three of you will be great.  

  13. # Blogger Andrew

    Well I'm thrilled to hear the babies are doing well. Your mom said they're just beautiful, and she was absolutely right.

    I'm wishing you all the best in your recovery. It might take some time, but it's going to be so worth it when you're home with your new babies and the little one who's waiting for you.  

  14. # Blogger annie w.

    CONGRATULATIONS on those two precious babies! Welcome, wee ones!
    I hope you recover quickly, Kristi. BIG hugs
    Annie  

  15. # Anonymous Anonymous

    *HUGS!*

    I hope you are recovered soon. Your children are absolutely adorable, and I am thrilled to hear that they are breathing on their own! I am so sorry for all of the complications though.

    Sending lots of happy, healthy thoughts for all three of you!  

  16. # Blogger Jeni

    You poor thing, hopefully you start feeling better soon. I can't handle pain meds either, I totally sympathize with that. The babies are beautiful, and such big healthy weights for how old they are! Congratulations again!  

  17. # Blogger Mel

    Ah geez Kristi, am so sorry your condition is casting such a shadow on this miracle of your babies. They looks utterly adorable and so healthy!

    YOu have the rest of your lives to spend time cuddling and getting to know each other...hold tight and I pray you feel way better real soon.

    xxx  

  18. # Blogger Thalia

    ugh sounds like you are having a rough time. I do hope you feel better really soon. And the twins are gorgeous - mazel tov!  

  19. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Oh honey, I'm crying.... I'm so sorry you haven't been well. Please take care. I hope things are clearing up soon... Wish that I lived closer to come sit with you.

    And those babies? They are beautiful! And so BIG!! Good Lord, girl, you had over 9 pounds of baby in your belly!!!  

  20. # Anonymous Anonymous

    OMG!!!!!!!!! They are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! So tiny! Congratulations, Kristi ~ you did it! What a relief it must be to have them in your arms now! FEEL BETTER SOON ... sending good vibes your way.  

  21. # Blogger Chastity

    I'm so happy to hear that the babies are doing so well! I'm sorry you're feeling so crummy. I'd never even heard of this liver condition, but after reading about it...wow, that's pretty scary. Thank goodness you're OK! When you get a chance, I can't wait to hear more about those babies and how you're feeling.  

  22. # Blogger kenju

    Kristi, the babies are absolutely gorgeous!! I hope you and your liver will soon be up and running!  

  23. # Blogger beagle

    Gorgeous!
    xo to you all!

    B  

  24. # Blogger Christine

    What adorable babies!

    I hope you're feeling better soon. But so glad that it seems like all will be well soon.

    Congratulation and love your way.  

  25. # Blogger shokufeh

    My heart aches for you. So bittersweet to have these new lives in the world, yet feel like crap. And to not yet have held Lucy.... I hope that has changed since your post. I hope the army that is your family had been smoothing some of the pain.  

  26. # Anonymous Anonymous

    OMG it sounds like you had HELLP Syndrome like me. Or something similar. The children are absolutely GORGEOUS and look very healthy and robust, I know what it's like to be stuck in a hospital bed unable to hold your kids, so please remember that you are GOING to get better no matter what, and each minute you're not with them, is just one minute closer to being with them eventually. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your name choices ;)  

  27. # Anonymous Anonymous

    A big congrats on the birth of your twins, they are adorable.

    Hope you are feeling better soon and trust me , for the moment the days with the babies in the NICU feel like they last forever but it does part and they will be home and driving you crazy before you know it.  

  28. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Congratulations! They are beautiful. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery! Much love.  

  29. # Blogger The Queen B

    We'll be thinking of you and babies and lifting you up in prayer.  

  30. # Blogger Leslie

    Hi, Kristi,

    I saw Karrie over the weekend and she said that you were having a hard time with the recovery, which I'm sorry to hear. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery (and not the "few weeks" listed in the article you linked to) so that you and the twins can go home soon to hang with Isabella. Does the little dictator realize her underling population has doubled??  

  31. # Blogger Jesser

    I am so sorry you've had such a rough go-of-it. I hope by now that you're feeling better and maybe even home? The babies are so perfect and I look forward to seeing them grow and change. Congrats again and best wishes for a speedier recovery!!  

  32. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    They are beautiful! I so hope that you feel better soon, and will be able to hold your sweet babies very soon!  

  33. # Blogger Shannon

    I have heard of fatty liver before but not because of pregnancy... wow... I hope that you are feeling better and that the twins are blossoming and soon be home with you all... hang in there... things will get better!! HUGS!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly