It's Sunny on Limbo Island

I came home from the hospital yesterday feeling almost human again for the first time in over a week. My liver issue has apparently resolved itself, and other than c-section pain and discomfort and feeling wiped out, I'm doing well. Oh, and that liver issue? My OB sat on the edge of my bed the day after the twins were born and said to me, "Acute fatty liver of pregnancy is fatal. We're extremely lucky to have caught it so early."

Well. Okay then.

We left the twins in the NICU last night. The NICU is a strange and terrifying and amazing place. One day I will put into words what it felt like to have your babies' very lives placed in the hands of medical professionals and modern science and to have to trust that they will take care of the most precious thing in your world.

When we arrived this morning, we were so excited and totally surprised so see that they were packing up Luci and Nicholas and moving them out! No more monitors or IVs or phototherapy lamps to combat the jaundice they had developed. They needed the room in the NICU for "sicker babies" so the twins were transferred to the NICU Annex/Newborn Nursery, which is basically the final step before they are sent home.

And they could be home as soon as Friday!

They need to gain weight (currently Luci is 4.4 pounds and Nicholas is 4.11 pounds), maintain their body temperatures in open cribs, and then they're ours to take home.

Considering the first NICU nurse I spoke to in my drug-induced, nauseous, and miserably upset state on the night of their birth told me they wouldn't be home until their due date (November 23rd), this is incredible news indeed. We are lucky and blessed beyond words. Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all your good thoughts and prayers.

I'll give you all the gory details of their birth and the circumstances that led to their early delivery soon. But for now, more photos, these taken yesterday.

Luci



Nicholas

20 Responses to “It's Sunny on Limbo Island”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    Oh my goodness that is some great news. I'm so glad you're doing better. I was worried about you. :-) Those babies are gorgeous indeed. I hope they chub up and are able to come home by Halloween--how cool would that be? How's Isabella holding up? Take care of yourself. Scary indeed.  

  2. # Blogger MrsSpock

    What beautiful babies! Glad to hear all three of you are doing better.

    ICLW  

  3. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    FABULOUS news!!! And the liver thing... Holy Shit. I can't think of anything else, except I am SO GLAD you are still here...

    Hugs, hon. Hope those bambinos stay warm in the cribs and get to come home soon!!!  

  4. # Blogger sashabro

    So glad to her that everything is on the mend. I am slightly obsessed with you these days (not to be a freak--just to let you know I am thinking of you all the time). I am so relieved to hear things are better.

    As for those babies, they are so damn beautiful, I can't stand it. Nicholas looks like you.  

  5. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    I know Friday can't come soon enough! That's wonderful news, and they are so cute!  

  6. # Blogger Jesser

    Glad all the news is so wonderful. The babies are gorgeous and I'm so relieved for you, even though I never understood how serious that liver thing was!!! Yikes! I'm so glad you're home and I will be crossing my fingers for the babies.  

  7. # Blogger The Queen B

    Your babies are beautiful! I'm thrilled to hear that they will be coming home soon.

    How's little Isabella doing? I've been thinking of her also as she has become the big sister!!  

  8. # Blogger kenju

    Kristi, you are incredibly lucky! The babies are beautiful. You have many years of wonderful discoveries ahead of you. My daughter's boy/girl twins continue to delight us (age 12).  

  9. # Blogger Damselfly

    Fatal! Like you wanted to hear that! Gulp.

    Your babies are so perfect! I hope they will come home soon.  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I know a lot of people were worried about you! I read the link you posted about fatty acid, and I just about fell out of me seat. Just ask Ian - I was pacing the house for a few days there. LOL!

    Lucy and Nicholas are SO cute! I can't wait to hear about them coming home and how Isabella is doing, too. :-)  

  11. # Blogger Marie

    Hooray! So glad you've kicked the liver thing... very scary! The babies are precious and beautiful. And I'm so glad I got to meet them!!  

  12. # Blogger Chastity

    This is wonderful news! Friday...wow, that means two days from now you could potentially be home with your new babies. That is terrific.  

  13. # Blogger beagle

    They are gorgeous!
    There are no words for how relieved we all that they did figure this out in time. Scary stuff. So glad you and the babies are doing so well now!!  

  14. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Kristi - they are absolutely beautiful! And I'm so happy and relieved everyone is doing OK.  

  15. # Blogger Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee

    That liver thing is way scary. The twins are beautiful and we are so glad they are coming home soon. Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs.  

  16. # Blogger Shannon

    oh wow it is really a mircle that they caught the liver thing when they did... wow... but FAB and AMAZING news about the twins and when they can come home... I am so excited for ya... and I will keep praying for ya and them!  

  17. # Blogger In transit

    That's great news about the twins. They are very cute!
    And as for the liver thing.... well! Hopefully it doesn't give yu any more complications.
    Fingers crossed for Friday!  

  18. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yes, that is a miracle that they caught the liver thing when they did. OMG ~ I reread it the other night and couldn't believe how serious it was! I am SO GLAD you and the babies are OK. Hope your husband and Isabella are doing just fine. Your babies are beautiful! How blessed you are ... very excited for you, and I hope that they can come home soon!  

  19. # Blogger Leslie

    Wow. I don't know how I would take that news while I'm still in recovery. Thanks, scary doctor!

    But good news about the twins!  

  20. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh Kristi! They are absolutely gorgeous! I am sorry to hear of your troubles over the last week, but boy! they are here and doing well. I am so happy for you and Rich and Isabella!
    Let the fun begin!
    Congratulations...you guys make beautiful babies.
    Ramona  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly