T3: We're Making Progress

Without warning, the third trimester of my pregnancy has arrived. How is it possible that I'm 28 weeks already? Wasn't I just yesterday knocked back on my arse over the twin ultrasound? Apparently not.

According to my last ultrasound, the girl is vertex and the boy is breech, which doesn't mean much since I'm having a c-section anyway. They are very close in weight, with each tipping the scales at a little over 2.5 lbs. Fluid levels are good. Growth is good. Everything with the babies is good. The middle-aged, grandmotherly ultrasound tech who has been scanning me every month said to me last week, "Well, you're finally getting a little tummy."

"Finally?"

"Little Tummy?"

Bless your dear visually impaired heart, ma'am. And do you accept tips?

I am doing "remarkably well" (or so says my OB). My blood pressure is good. I'm not having contractions. Of course, most days I feel like a 90-year-old woman, what with the aching joints and feet (which are still swollen, by the way), and a toddler who hasn't quite taken a liking to walking further than a few steps on her own. I have no idea what's gotten into her, but Isabella is constantly either running into me demanding that I hold her, or stopping dead in her tracks and refusing to move until I pick her up. She just had her two-year-old checkup and the kiddo weighs almost 27 pounds. Hauling around that ton of bricks plus two more in my belly Is.Not.Fun. Does anyone have a solution for encouraging a toddler to walk by her own damn self? I've tried the "Let's walk up the stairs pretending we're cats/elephants/howler monkeys, etc." and it works some of the time, but not nearly enough for my liking.

And I've got exciting news on the preparation front. We no longer have plans to empty out the kitchen junk and utensil drawers, line them with blankets, and place the twins in there when we come home from the hospital. The hubs and I have removed our collective heads from our arses and we're in the process of actually obtaining baby gear and assembling some sort of a nursery for the twins. This weekend, I bought paint! We're doing the room in a boring-as-all-hell Classic Taupe color with Cottage White trim-not my usual color preferences, but we're trying for a neutral color because in a year or two, we're likely going to have to move. The hubs and my great aunt are painting sometime in September.

Last week, one of my fantastic friends from high school, herself a mom of boy/girl twins, gave us the motherlode of kiddie crap. We are currently in possession of another infant car seat (which we hope can fit in the Trailblazer alongside two others), a highchair, and we're going back sometime this week to pick up her twins' two cribs. She also offered us a baby swing, but I passed on that for now as I'm not sure we'll have room for two swings in our living room. She also gave me a gigantic tub of 2T clothes and a booster seat for Isabella. I am so incredibly grateful for her generosity.

Of course, there are quite a few little things we still need to buy. We have not a single boy outfit. We need bedding for the cribs. And I still have to figure out how I'm going to manage breastfeeding twins and still maintain my sanity. But we're making progress.

And that makes this anal-retentive, highly organized, list-making, usually-prepared-months-in-advance-for-something-this-huge girl very happy indeed.

*********************************************************************

The September issue of Root and Sprout, the online parenting magazine is now live. I have two articles in this month's issue: one on purchasing environmentally friendly school supplies, and another on teaching kids respect for the earth's smallest creatures. Remember, Melissa Garrett, who created and runs Root and Sprout, would love to have you (yes, YOU) write an article. Check out the writer's guidelines for more information.

9 Responses to “T3: We're Making Progress”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    I bet that "visually impaired" ultrasound tech knows what she's talking about. You look great. I'm so glad things are going well. The progress at your house sounds great! I imagine it's a little scary too.

    I wish I had a magic wand to make Isabella want to walk. Maybe you can make it a game to scoot upstairs on your tushes? lol. I think they start to just sense changes and hold on anyway they can.

    Congrats on the things you've acquired. I'm sure that helps a lot. I love the idea of taupe and cream trim. It is neutral, but with the bedding you showed earlier it would be really nice, and if you've changed your minds, it would go with just about anything.

    I'm really, really happy for you.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I know you feel huge, but I think you look AWESOME! Seriously, you don't look like you're in your third trimester with twins.

    Jacob was really clingy to me when I was hugely pregnant with Bridget (and he was almost 4!). I can only imagine that Isabella is sensing a big change and wants to be attached to you as much as possible. Perhaps you could put some imaginary glue on your hand and hers and tell her you have to walk with your hands glued together?? I don't know . . . just a thought - LOL!

    Glad to hear you're stockpiling the stuff!! I'm sure you'll have a LOT more come your way! :-)

    And thanks so much for the mention!  

  3. # Blogger Chastity

    I forgot to tell you that all three car seats did fit in the back of my Honda Accord, so you should have no problem with a Trailblazer. It's highly annoying reaching around everything to get it all buckled, but it works.  

  4. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    Glad you and the babies are doing well. And that's wonderful about your friend!  

  5. # Blogger Jesser

    I'm so glad to hear you're doing well. And the hand-me-downs from your friend are awesome! They use the stuff for so short a time it's hard to justify new ever. Too great.  

  6. # Blogger Jeni

    Incredible, I can't believe you are in the third trimester either! Time must really fly:) Glad to hear that things are rolling around there and hope everything keeps going well.  

  7. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I can scarcely believe you are 28 weeks. I am SO excited for these little ones to come and I am happy you are on your way to feeling more prepared. I wish I were closer so I could help out, but I am looking forward to watching the progress.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    You DO look great, Kristi!

    And YAY for all the gear you've acquired! Looks like things are coming together...  

  9. # Blogger Damselfly

    Hurray for friends with great stuff to pass along! But mostly, hurray for you. I can't believe it's already T3!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly