A Party on Sesame Street

Isabella's big birthday party was yesterday. But with the arrival of my mom and sister on Thursday, it seems her birthday started then and has lasted for the past four days.

On Friday morning, her actual birthday, Isabella woke up and we gave her a few presents. This Clifford stuffed animal and accompanying book, which she discovered on her highchair, were big hits.

Let's hope she shows as much affection toward her new brother and sister. I'm not hopeful.

We also gave her this LeapFrog shopping cart with an attached scanner that scans 10 food items that came with it. My wonderful friend Marie, the unrivaled queen of scoring good deals on kid stuff, found this like-new shopping cart at a garage sale for $5.00. Apparently, the company no longer makes it, and people are bidding $50.00 for it on ebay! Who knew?

The hubs had to work all day, so once he came home, we continued our tradition started last year of taking Isabella to a pretty little spot on the Erie Canal about 10 minutes from our house to get ice cream. I only wish she liked the stuff, so eating it wouldn't be so traumatic for her.


On Sunday, 32 family members and a few friends gathered at my grandma's house for her big party. My sister is an amazing artist and just as she painted a Goodnight Moon sign for her last year, she made an incredible Sesame Street sign for this year's party, with a special twist thrown in.

The top-right part of Isabella's sign is based on the sign my grandfather painted for my second birthday 30 years ago. My grandfather was an artist and a signmaker by profession. Each year, he made every one of his 11 grandchildren a special sign for his/her birthday. My sister is continuing this tradition with Isabella, and sunk hours of her extremely rare free-time into making this year's sign for her niece. Thank you, Karrie!

And here is this year's cake, made by the same baker who made my baby shower cake and Isabella's first birthday party cake last year. The best part about this year's cake was that it served 40 and there were leftovers, currently stored in my fridge for at least the next 5 minutes. But certainly not any longer than that.


Clearly, my daughter hates the spotlight, illustrated here by her cringing in fear as a roomful of people sang her Happy Birthday.

Want some cake?

Then it was on to presents. She received many wonderful gifts, including these awesome books from my friend Jenny and her boyfriend Adam. Thank you!

Her favorite gift of the day was this Radio Flyer inchworm riding toy, courtesy of Aunt Karrie. You're supposed to bounce up and down on it to move it along, but Isabella isn't quite strong enough to do it yet, so she was more than happy to scoot along on it.


Isabella had a wonderful 2nd birthday party, surrounded by all the people who love her. She is an exceptionally lucky little girl to have so many family members and friends devoted to her happiness. Thank you for leaving her so many beautiful birthday wishes on Friday, too.
My sister left this afternoon, and my mom leaves tomorrow afternoon. After that, things will get back to normal around here. And all of a sudden, I'm the mom of a two-year-old. How is that even possible?

16 Responses to “A Party on Sesame Street”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    It certainly looks as though she had a fantastic time!! Awesome birthday sign and cake!  

  2. # Blogger Shannon

    looks like she had a great time... and love the signs... and what great toys too...  

  3. # Blogger beagle

    What a lucky girl! An inchworm and a Clifford!! (And one great big loving family . . . )  

  4. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    First, Oh! What a cutie! Great pictures of the party.

    Second, that sign made me a bit weepy. How lovely of your sister and how sweet to copy the sign from your grandpa!  

  5. # Blogger Christine

    The signs are amazing! That's a great tradition to carry on. Frankly I'm a bit shocked she was able to get it on the plane.

    Happy Birthday Isabella! (She's no shrinking violet, that one. Adorable!)  

  6. # Blogger Mom24

    What a wonderful party. It looks like so much fun. My oldest had a Sesame Street birthday party. Memories. I love the signs. What precious gifts. I'm just curious though, what do you do with them now? I can't imagine storing them. The cake was adorable. I wish we had someplace like that around here. The cash register/shopping cart will be fun for her literally for years. Clifford's still near and dear to my munchkins too. I can't believe inchworm is still around. I remember those from long ago too. So much fun, that again, they just don't outgrow for a really long time.

    What a wonderful year she will have. Don't count on her not being affectionate towards her brother and sister. You may have to deal with too much affection! That can be trying too.  

  7. # Blogger Melissa Martin

    Looks like a great party! She's such a cutie!

    We have the shopping cart too. My 4 year old and my 2 year old love it! They both used it as a push toy as babies learning how to walk and they still use it.  

  8. # Blogger Chastity

    What a fun party!  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Happy Birthday Izzy-Bee!

    Don't you just love how their celebrations take place over several days!? Skippy had his real birthday with us, my mom and her fiance, then took cake to school the next day, had his official party with school friends last Saturday, and of course when my in laws arrive on thursday it's going to be present fest all over again. They're so lucky when they're little!  

  10. # Blogger Mel

    I am all for 5-day birthdays - I still do it for myself!!

    Kristi, this looks like such a special day - you guys are truly blessed to have such wonderful friends and family.

    I was so touched to see the signs from your gramps and the one Karrie did for Issy. I am a sentimental beast so that is super-special.

    Congrats girl!  

  11. # Blogger Marie

    Awesome! You guys really do it up right. What wonderful memories Isabella will have...  

  12. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    What a wonderful birthday! And I'm so pleased to see someone bought her the Corduroy book - one of my all-time favorites!  

  13. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    Those signs are great! And it looks like she had a wonderful time!  

  14. # Blogger lewister

    That cake is gorgeous! I'm looking for all the great ways people have done cakes for Sesame Street birthday cakes. Yours is really a winner. And it looks like everyone had a great time, especially the birthday girl.  

  15. # Blogger Jeni

    Cute! And I love the history of the signs, so meaningful:)  

  16. # Blogger Damselfly

    How is it possible she is even cuter now than she was last week?! I love that photo of her holding Clifford. And you and Isabella with your 2nd birthday signs ...!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly