26 Week Update: Slowing Down

In the last month, I've noticed quite a few changes. My energy level has plummeted. I am tired. A lot. Getting up from sitting on the ground take a great deal of effort. My joints ache. And my still-swollen feet throb at the end of the day. Carrying Isabella up and down the stairs is really difficult for me now, and if there's anyone in my house besides me and I have to take her upstairs for whatever reason, I generally ask for that person to do it for me. I am really slowing down, and although my twin mom friends told me it would happen, I didn't expect it to start this early on. I feel like a big lumbering bear most days.

The babies are really moving quite a bit now. Most days, they are way more active at night than they are during the day.

I had my glucose test on Friday (still awaiting the results), along with my first OB appointment in almost a month. Since I was doing so well at my last visit, my doctor said I could wait a month to see her again. This was a nice break from the every-other-week appointments I've had since I found out about the twins. Alas, my break is over. I'm back to my every-other-week schedule, and I have my next ultrasound in about a week. I have gained 23 pounds.

We also picked a date for my c-section. If I make it to 39 weeks (and according to the twin book I'm reading, nationwide most twins are born on average at 34 weeks, which is scary), the babes will be born on Monday, November 17th. Incidentally, once I read that statistic, I immediately filled out the hospital paperwork that's been sitting on my dining room table since the secretary at my OB's office handed it to me over a month ago.

On the preparation front, I have zilch to report yet again. We have one donated bassinet. One donated bouncy seat. And.That.Is.All. The hubs and I have agreed that once the craziness of Isabella's upcoming birthday and my mom's and sister's visits are over next week, it's high time that we come to the collective realization that hello? We're having twins in 3 months or less, despite our great attempts to ignore this reality. My lack of preparation goes completely against my personality type. To be winging it this far into my pregnancy is shocking. Is this a second pregnancy thing? I seem to remember having all my ducks in a row at 6.5 months pregnant last time around. The hubs and I do have plans to hit a "Mothers of Twins" sale in mid-September to stock up on some things we're going to need.

Names. Ah, names. Well, our boy is still Nicholas. Our girl is still currently nameless, since the hubs refuses to relent to my choice of Lucy. Ness suggested Luciana as an alternative to Lucy in my plea-for-names post, and I actually really like it. But I am fixated on naming our second daughter Lucy, and Luciana is not Lucy and oh, pretty please, dear hubs if you're reading this, can we please name her Lucy? I can be bought!

My little Twin Countdown ticker to the right now reads under 100 days to go.

And.I.Am.So.Not.Ready.



13 Responses to “26 Week Update: Slowing Down”

  1. # Blogger Jeni

    I am sure that everything will start falling in to place, atleast you go the hospital paperwork done already. I think we didn't get that done until, oh, a week before everything went down. So in my book you are doing pretty good:)  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    You could always name her Luciana and just call her "Lucy" for short? That way you AND hubby win...heh heh.  

  3. # Blogger Mel

    That Ness is a clever one~!

    3 months is plensh time to get yourselves sorted out. Actually 1 month is enought time - so dont stress, relax and do as little as possible. God knows its going to be somewhat frantic in a few weeks!  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I know what's like to feel overwhelmed with something BIG looming over your head, but preparing for babies won't take you nearly as long as you think. You filled out your paperwork already, so that's out of the way. And really, babies need very little in the beginning. Buckle the carseats in your van (hee!), stock up on diapers, buy a few onesies, let them share one crib for now . . . . you can get all that done in one weekend, little stress involved.

    And don't worry about the names. Maybe it's just one of those things that when your husband sees the baby he'll say, "Oh! She looks like a Lucy!"  

  5. # Blogger Marie

    You really do look great Kristi. You've got to be exhausted. If you guys post a "wanted" on Craigslist, I bet you could find some great gear. I've been doing a lot of buying & selling there this summer -- it's awesome!  

  6. # Blogger Mom24

    I think you should win on Lucy. There, I'm sure that seals it.
    It is getting close, isn't it? I hope the mother of twins sale helps. I can imagine the panic. Especially on all those things you need, but not for long, so you don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on them.

    You are looking awesome. Sorry the aches and pains have caught up with you.  

  7. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Too dark to see your belly!

    I know what it's like to love a name and to have your husband NOT. But, it comes down to the fact that you both have to use this name for the rest of your lives, so it had better be one you both love, not just tolerate, you know? Maybe Lucy will become easier on his ears?

    The twins sale should be helpful! Also, look into Freecycle and Craigslist. You won't pay any shipping as opposed to eBay which will cost an arm and a leg nowadays...  

  8. # Blogger shokufeh

    You are still looking awesome. Though I completely sympathize the feeling of heaviness and asking people to transport Isabella. Don't fret about the stuff - it will fall into place.  

  9. # Blogger Chastity

    I think you look wonderful. I'd never know it's twins just by looking at you.

    I think it must either be a second pregnancy thing or maybe it's a "it's twins...what do I do?? OK, I'll do nothing" kind of thing. I've only gotten started with preparations over the past two weeks or so. You still have plenty of time!  

  10. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    I can't imagine doing stairs with a toddler while pregnant! That's got to be tough on all of you.
    I think you still have plenty of time to get ready, and maybe the sale will have all of the gear that you want and need!  

  11. # Blogger Elowyn

    I'll be 26w with my girls tomorrow, and yeah, I hear ya on the tired, and the lumbering and the joint pain. Oogh. My toes are starting to swell some, and I'm on modified bedrest!

    At least my two are basically diurnal (or else I sleep through the night movements) because losing any more sleep than I already am (with the peeing and requiring a crane to turn over at night) would drive me bonkers.

    I'm feeling totally unprepared for my twosome to show up, too, so I hear ya.  

  12. # Blogger Damselfly

    Wow! This is getting so exciting!

    Just today I saw something on TV about a twins festival in Twinsburg, Ohio. There were twins there from all over the world. Made me want to be a twin.  

  13. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Maybe he could pick the middle name and still be happy? I love the name Lucy, but I like Luciana too and that would look good on a resume! I always tried to picture the resume name and see if it held up to that scrutiny.

    I had babies 16 months apart... not twins of course, but still close in age. One of the best things I did for my own sanity was to teach the toddler to climb up into the car into his own car seat. It really helped when the babe arrived. I also taught him to climb out of the car -- once the buckle was off and to put his hand on the tire until I was ready to go. That way he held still and wasn't running into traffic.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly