Her Peeps Came to Party

I may have mentioned a few (hundred) times here that I have a huge extended family. On major holidays, we pack a good 25 people around my grandma's dining room table, and every Sunday, about half that number gather for dinner at my aunt's house. Entertaining this bunch (plus my dad and his family, and the hubs' family too) is a major endeavor, so in an effort to reduce the number of people packed into my grandma's garage for Isabella's 2nd birthday party (her birthday is on Friday and her party is next Sunday), we decided to have a few of her friends at my house for a small party this morning.

Let's do some math, shall we?
5 toddlers + 1 10-month-old + 1 7-year-old + their parents + me, the hubs, Isabella, and my mom who is in town, all crowded into my wee little house = Mass Frosting-Covered Chaos.
I realized that the fine art of hosting a children's birthday party is not something at which I excel. I stressed myself out, made too much food (that's the future Italian grandmother in me), and obsessed over things that ended up mattering not one iota. This was my first time, though, so I will cut myself a bit of slack.
The "theme" was Sesame Street, and overall, I think I did a fairly decent job. But Oh My Holy Hell, was I exhausted afterward. The hubs and I spent a greater part of Friday scouring our house, although exactly why we did this is a bit of a mystery, because no sooner did the toddlers arrive than the entire joint was trashed again.
I also spent a great deal of time making cupcakes using the famous Magnolia Bakery vanilla cupcake recipe. So completely worth the time, in my humble opinion. What was not worth the time was the three different colors of frosting I made for them. Over the years, I have learned that I suck at making frosting. I can never quite achieve the right consistency. I should have bought jarred frosting, added the food coloring, and called it a day.
I think the favors for each kid turned out pretty well. I filled red, yellow, green, and blue Chinese take-out containers with Sesame Street stickers, Sesame Street cards, Goldfish crackers, and sidewalk chalk.

We hosted the party from 10am to 12pm, which was the perfect amount of time to retain the attention spans of a group of 2-year-olds. It was basically a glorified playdate. The kids removed all the toys from Isabella's toybox and played with them, they cooked in her play kitchen, and they grazed at the table where we served fruit, cheese and crackers, and bagels.

Everyone gathered around her to sing "Happy Birthday" (which she also sang simultaneously to herself), we opened presents, and then everyone went home, and she crashed hard for an unheard-of 2+ hour nap.


And then the hubs, my mom, and I (but mostly my mom, who was SUCH a big help) spent a good hour cleaning up the aftermath.

One party down, one to go. May God have mercy on my soul.


What? There's nothing to see here. Carry on.

12 Responses to “Her Peeps Came to Party”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    Great job! It looks like a fun time. I love the party favor boxes--so much fun. IMO two hours is the max you would ever want to do a party--no matter how old the kid. lol. I stink at making frosting too, I don't know why, I just can't do it. Your cupcakes looked adorable though, especially with the primary colored favor boxes.

    That picture of you holding Isabella? You would never guess you were pregnant with twins.

    I hope you get a nap today or tomorrow too--you must be worn out.  

  2. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    There are things you learn over the years. I have learned that balloons instantly make a party cheerier, but streamers make it seem like a funeral(at least, when done by ME!) I have learned that extra sprinkles should be kept on hand for the kids that don't get the decorated piece of cake, it never hurts to have an unfrosted cupcake or two, and party games should never be more complicated than duck duck goose.

    Looks like fun! I have never realized how much you and Isabella look a like!

    Happy birthday to your big girl...  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    Awesome! Go Mom!!! Very cute pics.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    What a fun party! I wish I had your baking abilities... maybe I'll get adventerous for Brody's 2nd birthday. Then again, I just found a great bakery! =)  

  5. # Blogger Jesser

    Looks like a great party from where I sit!! Magnolia cupcakes are awesome, but my personal fave is their banana pudding (or the peach pie!). Oh heck. Everything there rocks. Haha. Love the little decorated takeout boxes and you got a great photo of you and Isabella. So glad it was a nice event. Happy #2, little one!!  

  6. # Blogger Chastity

    That looks like a great time! How about this...you make my cupcakes from now on, and I'll make your icing. I'm awesome at icing, but my oven cooks too fast, and no matter what I do, everything always seems to end up well done on the bottom, even when I use the top rack and put it on a lesser temp. Ugg.  

  7. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    Sounds like a very successful party - especially if you got a more than 2 hour nap out of the deal!  

  8. # Blogger Shannon

    I cannot believe it's been two years already!  

  9. # Blogger Damselfly

    ...and all while pregnant with twins! Just reading that exhausts me! I love thinking about you being a "future Italian grandmother."

    And I'm with you on cleaning the house before a party. You feel obliged to do it, but it's just going to get dirty with a house full of people. Why do we do it, why, why, why? ;)

    So is Isabella two yet?  

  10. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    You are a supermom! You look great, btw.  

  11. # Anonymous Anonymous

    what a great party! it looks like so much fun. i love the pics!  

  12. # Blogger beagle

    Happy Birthday sweet girl!
    Tell your mamma I think she has a career as a party planner!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly