30 Week Update: One Big, Swollen Mass of Flesh

In the last month, my belly has grown considerably. And I am feeling it.

I think some of the problem is that I am carrying around two babies on a very small frame. I'm only 5'2, and sometimes when I stand up, it feels as if the weight in my belly is literally pulling me to the ground.

Luckily, Isabella has gotten much better at climbing stairs on her own. She's all but stopped insisting that I carry her all the time, which has done wonders for my legs and back. She's developed a far-more-adorable habit of puffing out her belly and telling me "there's babies in there."

My recent OB visits have all gone well. Blood pressure is good. Weight gain is 27 pounds. No contractions. But I am swollen everywhere: my feet, my legs, and now, my hands. My wedding rings are tight. They won't come off. I may need them cut off my finger if the swelling gets worse.

I'm feeling slightly nervous about my OB's upcoming surgery. She leaves on 9/22 to have her operation, and won't be back until the second week in October, at which point I will be 34 weeks. Everyone keeps telling me they have a feeling the babies will be born in October, which I really hope doesn't happen, as much as I would love to have my body back. My OB did my first c-section, and I want her and no one else to do my second, given that my insides are slightly different than the average woman's, given my previous abdominal surgeries and lack of a large intestine.

On Friday night, we went to a Mothers of Twins sale, held each year by moms of twins whose kids have outgrown their gear. I had high hopes for this sale, which were dashed the second we pulled into the parking lot and saw a line of at least 100 people outside the building waiting to get in. They let only a few people in at a time because apparently last time they violated fire code. Fantastic. We waited in line for 45 minutes and watched as people carried out lots of gear (high chairs, car seats, swings, etc.) to their cars. By the time we made it inside, the exersaucers (we had wanted to pick up a second one) that were for sale were gone. It was also pretty sweltering inside the building, so we spent about 15 minutes picking out a few 0-3 month boy outfits, one 12m sweater, and a cute sweater for Isabella, and called it a night.

On Saturday, my fabulous almost-80-year-old great aunt who has more energy on her worst day than my non-pregnant self on her best day and the hubs painted what used to be our spare bedroom and what's turning into the twins' nursery. This required rearranging of furniture, the placement of another dresser in our room, and other furniture moved to the attic. To make room in the attic, the hubs brought down our two bassinets. They're temporarily stored in our bedroom. It's freaking me out.


And on Tuesday, we're picking up the cribs from my friend (a mom to 3-year-old boy/girl twins). I think once those are set up in the painted nursery and I've picked up the bedding (hopefully this week), it will begin to hit home for me that Oh My God, we're having two babies in nine weeks or less.
Nine weeks.

15 Responses to “30 Week Update: One Big, Swollen Mass of Flesh”

  1. # Blogger Melissa Martin

    I just have to say that you look awesome! Much better than I did with my singles.  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    That's a lot to carry around! I don't know when it's officially the "home stretch," but you're getting there!!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow! I can't believe that the time is quickly approaching, and I know YOU can't believe it either. You just don't look like you're carrying twins, but I surely sympathize with how uncomfortable you must be. Hang in there!!  

  4. # Blogger Mel

    I know you are going to HATE ME when I say this ...but you look so dang cute. Even though you feel like a beached whale! Hang in there Kristi, so few days left. You doing so great.

    Try to relax about your OB, you cant change anything by stressing except it may bring those babies sooner and you dont want that!

    I would suggest, for your own peace of mind, that you ask your OB to brief her stand-in on the anomalies of your surgery...  

  5. # Blogger Shannon

    well if you guys ever come to PA, you can have our exersaucer... it is in our attic... but my MIL said that the kids consignment shops sell a lot of that stuff cheap... so you might be able to get some stuff there... but what else do you need... some of us might have that stuff and be willing to give it away...  

  6. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    How are you that far along already?? You are so close! Wish I lived closer to you so I could come and help...  

  7. # Blogger Jesser

    You sound like you're doing really well, overall. I'm sure it must be exhausting having two onboard though. Looks like a nice color you picked for the kiddos room. Will be curious to see the final! :)  

  8. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    Hey - Mel stole my comment! Seriously, you.look.adorable. I'm sure you don't feel that way, but if the internet says it's true, it must be.

    I can't believe you're 30 weeks along. I mean, really?  

  9. # Blogger My Wombinations

    You look great. And 27 pounds??! Seriously?! Wow. I am impressed. I put on 50 with each singleton:)  

  10. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    I think you look great! I can't imagine how active your belly must look when they are both rolling around!
    So sorry about your sale. We had one of them here on Saturday and it was alright. There's a bigger one in October that we plan to hit. That's crazy about only letting a few people in at a time. I say change locations, people!
    And thanks for your kind words on my blog. I really appreciated them.  

  11. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    Sorry that you weren't able to score as much at the twin sales. Disappointing!!!

    I remember that feeling of the belly being dragged to the ground. But I am 5'9" so I can only imagine how it feels for you.

    I think you look great too. And 27 lbs sounds just great for twins! I love your facial expression in your pic - like "OK, I'm done. I know these babies need to stay in here, but I'm done."

    The next few weeks are going to FLY by. I can't wait...  

  12. # Blogger Shannon

    Saw this and thought of you, Kristi! Not that your husband would say any of these, of course!

    http://www.misscellania.com/miss-cellania/2008/9/13/top-32-fatal-things-to-say-to-your-pregnant-wife.html  

  13. # Blogger Damselfly

    I love that Isabella has a sympathy pregnancy, hee hee!

    And that? Is your 80-year-old aunt? Never would have guessed her age. Way to go, auntie!

    We'll keep our fingers crossed you can have your doctor when you need to -- there's a lot to be said for that -- a lot.

    I went to one of those mothers of multiples sales, and you're right -- it was craziness. People went in groups and would put a hand on something they wanted to save it for another person in the group. The really good stuff goes fast!  

  14. # Blogger Damselfly

    Oh, yeah, and 27 pounds?! 27. I put on 40 for one kid.  

  15. # Blogger Mom24

    I think you still look fantastic! 27 pounds? That's crazy. You're going to end up smaller than you were when you started! I'm glad things are getting done, I know that was important to you. I hope you hang on to November. Sorry it's uncomfortable.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly