953 Reasons to Celebrate

My new hCG beta number is 953.

Here's a little primer on this hormone.

It stands for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin and is produced by the placenta during pregnancy, beginning shortly after the embryo implants. It should double every 48 to 72 hours in early pregnancy. My doubling time was 40.8 hours and my doubling rate was 1.5 days.

Translation: This is good news! I have to repeat the bloodtest again on Monday.

Furious searches of Dr. Google following Monday's seemingly high initial beta number of 422 have led me to the following information: The rate of the rise and even the hCG levels themselves do not indicate whether there is more than one baby in chez uterus right now. The range of normal levels for a singleton pregnancy (and indeed a twin or triplet pregnancy) is huge.

That said, I am not overly concerned that I'm going to birth my own baseball team. Until an ultrasound confirms the number of babies I'm currently carrying, I'm going to operate under the assumption that there is only one implanted embryo. Thinking too much about multiples makes me feel a little queasy.

But that's a post for another day.

14 Responses to “953 Reasons to Celebrate”

  1. # Blogger shokufeh

    I've said it before, but I'll say it again: this is so fascinating. Thanks for sharing all of this with us, Kristi. I'm really happy for you!  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    wooo hooo!!  

  3. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Everyday more reasons to be happy! You must be ecstatic!  

  4. # Blogger Leslie

    So glad for more good news! I never thought I would be looking forward to someone else's blood test. Weird. Or word. Word.  

  5. # Blogger Mom24

    Yeah!!!!!!!!!! That is so exciting. Now you can breathe a bit easier. Have a wonderful weekend.  

  6. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Oh! That is a lovely doubling rate! Sounds like a happily implanted baby! Congratulations, again, hon. Now: take it easy, rest and enjoy!  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm so happy for you (again)! Take it easy until Monday and enjoy these moments as they come. I know that's easier said than done, but you certainly deserve to revel in the joy.  

  8. # Blogger My Wombinations

    nice rate! When is that ultrasound????  

  9. # Blogger Unknown

    *whoot*!  

  10. # Blogger halloweenlover

    Congratulations! I wandered over via My Wombinations, and I'm glad I did!

    Very exciting!  

  11. # Blogger Jesser

    Wonderful Wonderful news!!!!  

  12. # Blogger Sandy

    Thanks for visiting me! And congratulations!!
    My cousin just found out she is having triplets. Holy Cow!! :)  

  13. # Blogger sher

    I feel so happy when I visit your site!!!!! Congratulations.  

  14. # Blogger Damselfly

    I'm pretty sure I don't understand any of that ... but WOO-HOO!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly