A Good Day

Being the chubbie-looking one in a waiting room full of perfectly rounded bellies belonging to obviously pregnant women doesn't do a whole lot for the self-esteem. I had my first prenatal appointment today and upon entering the waiting room, I was immediately reminded of how much I hate this "in-between" stage of pregnancy where instead of looking gloriously with-child, you look like you've been hitting the Haagen-Daz too hard.

The appointment was long (as the first appointment always is) and riddled with Q&A ("Have you used any illegal drugs since becoming pregnant? No? Come on! Not even pot? Wow! You've been good.") examinations of internal and external body parts, and a whole lot of paperwork. My longtime OB-GYN left the practice, so I am now the patient of the doctor who did my c-section. She rocks. So greatly does she rock that she gave me a slip of paper authorizing an extra ultrasound before my next appointment in a month, since she knows I'm prone to worry. I always thought it was asinine that insurance companies permit only two ultrasound for the entire pregnancy, unless you opt for genetic screening (which I'm not doing).

I told her than other than some serious exhaustion and nausea in the morning or when I haven't eaten in awhile, I've been feeling pretty good. She said my uterus feels nice and large, which is reassuring.

I have already gained 5 pounds since my transfer on March 5th. Of course, given my penchant for face-stuffing since becoming pregnant, I wasn't all that surprised. She said she'd like to see me gain about 30 pounds, which is more than I gained with Isabella. Hey, I'm 1/6th of the way there!

She's planning on doing a c-section during my 39th week (so probably November 17th, 18th, or 19th).

She didn't attempt to try and hear the heartbeat, because at 9w4d, it's just too early. However, I was unconcerned. Fetal dopplers you can use at home were made for anxiety-ridden, neurotic, and worry-prone women like me. Although I still maintain that I'm more relaxed this time around, the BabyBeat Advanced Technology Doppler is coming to stay at my house for awhile. I used it 422 times a day when I was pregnant with Isabella. I plan to dial down the crazy a few notches this time around and aim for once a day.

A free and unscheduled ultrasound made for a pretty good start to the day. However, news I received when I arrived home made the day that much better. It seems there are fresh pints of the aforementioned pistachio-pineapple frozen custard at my favorite ice cream place ready and waiting for me. And not only that, there's pistachio-cherry waiting there too. And how do I know this? The shop called my house and left me a message, of course! It seems my dear husband, stopping by after work one day last week, mentioned to the person on duty how his wife who was eating her weight in the frozen loveliness each night would be disappointed to know that neither of her two favorite flavors were available for purchase that day. The counter worker put our phone number on a call list, and when they made the flavor, they would phone us and let us know. And they did.

My doctor will be so happy to know that I've reached my weight gain goal by the 2nd trimester, don't you think?

10 Responses to “A Good Day”

  1. # Blogger My Wombinations

    This post made me laugh and feel better just minutes after literally consuming an entire pint of Haagen Daaz chocolate peanut butter ice cream while watching Sex and the City on the couch when I should be out working out or doing something productive. Yeah. 1,300 calories in one sitting. Isn't pregnancy fun?  

  2. # Blogger shokufeh

    Talk about great customer service! In both the OBGyn's and the ice cream place.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    HAHAHAHAHA!! Oh, how AWESOME! But I have to tell you, there's just something about the sound of pineapple ice cream that sounds so wrong. Pass the mint chip, please!  

  4. # Blogger Mom24

    Congrats! What a great appointment. I never rented a doppler, but I was always really, really tempted. With DD #2, they thought there was an "issue" with my placenta that needed to be monitored. It turns out now that they don't monitor for it anymore, but back then it netted me 13 ultrasounds! That was awesome.

    Go for the ice cream, I bet your weight gain will even out.  

  5. # Blogger M

    Glad to hear all is well. I LOVED renting a baby doppler. It was my only sanity before I could feel her move. I checked her every morning before work and every night before bed.
    I ate 2-3 mint choc. chip ice cream cones a day during the summer months of my pgcy. Perhaps that is why I gained 37ish pounds. :)  

  6. # Blogger Damselfly

    Oh, yes. I also forgot about that in-between stage before it's really obvious you're pregnant.

    Glad to know you have a nice large uterus! ;)  

  7. # Blogger Marie

    What a great day! Enjoy your Abbott's!  

  8. # Blogger Christine

    I am so jealous over your ice cream item. For real. Pineapple pistachio! And yet none in PA, none. Not that I needed any help in the weight gain department.

    Also, YAY on the baby and I think I've mentioned before that November 16th is the perfect day for births, as it is my birthday. We have a November 18th birthday too, and while I like him, he doesn't quite reach my level of amazing. ;)  

  9. # Blogger Angela

    Of course the OB will be thrilled!

    And I think I'll adopt this mantra: We're not overweight, we're OVERACHIEVERS! :) LOL  

  10. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    I'm so glad the appointment went well! Renting the baby doppler sounds like a great idea! Wish I had thought of that when I was pregnant. Maybe next time.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly