An Interview with Me

Marie over at Practigal sent me the following interview questions.

1. What are three of your all-time favorite books? What about them makes them faves?

Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell

I absolutely loved this book both for the subject matter (girl on the verge of thirty steps off the hamster wheel of her life and tackles the enormous task of cooking her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking) and for the way in which the author writes (real, raw, and uninhibited). You can read my complete review of the book here.

Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson

Bryson is an American journalist who spent 20 years living and working in England. His book chronicles the idiosyncrasis of life "on the other side of the pond" and each page of his equally brilliant and hilarious writing brought back memories of my own, much shorter (by about 19.5 years) life lived in England in my early 20s.

Beloved by Toni Morrison

This is the story of a former slave named Sethe in the years following the Civil War, and the agony she endures as she's haunted by the spirit of her murdered baby. While the subject matter is far from a summer beach read, Morrison's writing, and the mystery surrounding the baby's death, draw you in from the very first page. A quote from this novel inspired my Master's thesis, which focused on the social construction of motherhood during slavery and the lengths Sethe went to in order to save her daughter from the brutality she experienced as a slave: "Unless carefree, mother-love was a killer."

2. You enjoy baking. Me too. What baking pan gets the most use in your kitchen? Is there a favorite recipe prepared in that pan again and again?

As lame as it sounds, it's my muffin pans that get the most use lately, and they're nothing special, either. However, the muffins I most often bake in them are really good. They're Magnolia Bakery's Oatmeal Muffins, and they're delicious AND good for you. Here's a link to the recipe.

3. Describe your perfect Mother's Day.

The one I just had, my first, was pretty awesome. But my perfect Mother's Day? It would start early, because it would have to. But that's fine, because I would be awoken by the aroma of coffee (fully caffeinated) brought to me in bed by Jude Law...I mean, my husband. After nursing Isabella and playing with her in bed for awhile, the hubs would bring her downstairs and take care of her morning routine-including feeding her breakfast and playing with her.

Meanwhile, I'm upstairs in bed, reading the paper or a novel. Once Isabella had gone down for her nap, I'd go for a run, and after showering, I would sit down to a delicious pancake or waffle breakfast prepared once again by Jude...my husband. Once Isabella got up, the three of us would go for a long walk, and following her second nap, we'd pack a picnic (utilizing one of the two very nice picnic baskets that have gone unused since we received them as wedding gifts 6 years ago and are currently collecting dust in my attic) and head to a park.



We'd come home, and spend time together, just the three of us, with no interruptions. No work for me. No tv for the hubs. Just quality family time. Once Isabella was in bed for the night, I'd take a long bath, and then the hubs and I would watch a funny movie (because I need all the funny in my life that I can get these days). And that's it. I wouldn't need any gifts, because honestly, I feel like I already received mine, almost nine months ago.


4. You like to walk and run. Are there other forms of exercise you enjoy (or did enjoy but might not have time for now...)?


I used to love to rollerblade, but I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to push a stroller while traveling at a rollerblading rate of speed. I also love swimming (our pool comes in handy for that one).

5. You're being sent away on an all-expenses paid long weekend vacation. Don't worry about your family, they're all set. This is a get-away for just Kristi. Your accommodations and food will be provided, as will toiletries and sunscreen. The only catch is that you can bring only what will fit into a shoebox. What will you bring?

Ohh...good question. I would pack a book or two, because reading is a rarity for me lately, a journal and a pen to write about my experiences, my digital camera, and a Starbucks cards, 'cause, you know, a girl needs her caffeine. I'd also bring my watch, because there's no way I could leave my Type A brain at home, even on vacation. Oh, and clean underwear.


If you want me to give you some interview questions, let me know and I'll send some your way.

6 Responses to “An Interview with Me”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    Cool! thanks for doing this, Kristi! I didn't know you were into roller-blading. I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself on those things.  

  2. # Blogger M

    Oh oh! Me! Me!
    1. Why did you originially start this blog?

    2. What's the hardest thing about being a fairly new mommy?

    3. If someone were going to buy you a giftcard where would be the best possible place they could buy it for?

    4. What kind of car "Kristimobile" do you drive?

    5. What time do you go to bed? Get up?  

  3. # Blogger sher

    I loved reading those! And I so agree with you about Beloved.  

  4. # Blogger sunShine

    Great answers. Love the mother's day one!  

  5. # Blogger Kristi

    Marie-Yup-love rollerblading. Haven't done it in at least a year, though, so I'm not sure how good I would be at it anymore.

    Michelle-Actually, I meant to send interview questions to other bloggers, but I'll answer your questions here:

    1. I started it because I needed a creative outlet to write, after not having done anything other than technical writing for years.

    2. Definitely balancing my FT job with taking care of Isabella. It seems at times as if I'm doing neither very well.

    3. Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, or Barnes and Noble.

    4. I drive a 2000 VW Jetta, and although I love it, I'm finding it very small these days, with all of Isabella's gear.

    5. I go to bed anywhere from 9:30-10:30, and I'm usually up by about 6 or so, even though Isabella doesn't usually get up for the day until 6:30 or 7am.

    Sher-It's an incredible novel, isn't it?

    Sunshine-Thanks!  

  6. # Blogger Damselfly

    I love Bill Bryson books!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly