Fashion Fright Friday: "Housecoat" Edition

This is my green cardigan sweater. I bought it several years because it is the celery green color I was, at the time, borderline obsessed with (I have more items of clothing this color than I care to admit). It is both huge and hugely unflattering, hangs down past my knees, and so comfortable you want to take it to bed with you and stroke it lovingly as you drift off to sleep.

The hubs has hated this sweater since I bought it. He says it looks like a housecoat. What exactly is a "housecoat?" Well, my friend Wikipedia defines it as "A woman's garment, usually long and loose, used for informal wear at home."

I suppose the sweater fits this definition. There's only one problem. I wore this sweater at the office, when I still worked in an office, constantly.

This sweater was my "office sweater." I kept it at work, slung over the back of my chair, because the teperature in my former office was kept at a balmy 45 degrees Fahrenheit. See, I worked with an office full of mainly middle-aged men, all of whom were perpetually hot (male-menopausal hot flashes?). So whenever one of the few women in my office went to adjust the heat, there was an immediate testosterone-fueled uproar, and one of the guys ran to the thermostat and cranked the heat back down.

And since I'm a perpetually cold person, out came the sweater, most every day, and even in the summer.

Hmm... clearly wearing this in the office is a mere half-step away from going to work in your bunny slippers.

8 Responses to “Fashion Fright Friday: "Housecoat" Edition”

  1. # Blogger beagle

    I really think people should be allowed to go to work in their bunny slippers, it would make for a happier workforce!  

  2. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Not at all! Everyone should have an office sweater. I do, but I will tell you my old office sweater - looking a lot like yours but in a brick color, also hangs down to my knees and even has a hole in the pocket, but I refuse to give it up. I actually use it to toss over my Pj top and bottoms when I'm watching TV at night - C likes to keep the house at a not so toasy 58 degrees at night :-)  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    Gotta have it!!  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I like it! It looks easy to wear and warm. What more can you ask for? :)  

  5. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I also had a celery green office sweater! This is starting to scare me. Maybe we could go out together sometime, clad in our silver docs and office sweaters (with some skinny jeans, of course). We would be so cool.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I would wear that sweater all the time, all the time, all the time. I love it!  

  7. # Blogger Damselfly

    I'm laughing so hard because I had an ugly office sweater at one time, too! Mine was ivory and a gift from my grandmother. I hated it, and that's why I kept it at work, hahaha! It kept me warm though when the men in the office would move the thermostat down into the 60s.  

  8. # Blogger Binulatti

    Why not cinching the sweater with a skinny belt, then throw on crop leggings and some metallic ballet flats and ka-POW! You're ready for um...well...nevermind...

    Up with housecoat pride! Own that shizz!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly