This is Who "I Am"

Fashion Fright Friday is on hiatus this week. In its place, you'll find a poem of sorts about yours truly, which I was challenged to complete by Michelle.

It's an interesting writing exercise, and one that forces me to do some critical thinking about myself, something I don't do very often these days. So...

"I Am"

I am compassion and empathy and activism,
Impatience and stubbornness and full of strong opinions.

I am stacks of new books, skeins of soft yarn, and a mug of warm coffee by a wood fire.

I am Italian love and Irish humor.

I am a world traveler, more in my mind than with my feet.
I am a St. Lucia lime daiquiri and a Roman gelato, a Parisian baquette, an English scone.

I am flour, butter, sugar, and eggs. I am warm Italian bread, fresh from the oven.

I am cynical and sarcastic, more realist than optimist.

I am mother to three adorable cats, and one slightly more adorable human.

I am wife to my personality polar opposite.

And I am a Type A who always packs a Plan B.


Here are a couple quotations I've come across lately that succinctly sum up part of who I am as well:

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
-Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

"There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. "
-Elie Wiesel

And finally, there's this, as seen on a bumper sticker outside my Starbucks:

Bipartisanship: I'll hug your elephant if you kiss my ass.

4 Responses to “This is Who "I Am"”

  1. # Blogger M

    AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Thanks for doing the I Am poem...um...but you forgot to tag some people! :)  

  2. # Blogger Damselfly

    "I am Italian love and Irish humor." Could there be any better combination?

    Your I Am poem is sooo good.  

  3. # Blogger Binulatti

    Very well put. And spot onn. However, I'm telling Claudia, Louie, and Annie that you don't think they're cute anymore.
    Also: you seem to be conflicted about which nationality of bread products you are. French? English? Italian? Take a side, we're at war*.


    (*I can't claim this joke. Colbert's internet gestapo will hunt me down if I don't namecheck him)  

  4. # Blogger kenju

    I LOVE IT!! the last line is just terrific!!

    Mr. kenju is Italian love and Irish humor too!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly