What Being a Mom Means to Me

So, my first official Mother's Day is just about here. I didn't count last year, although judging by the loot I hauled in from my family members, they sure did. But not me. Sure, Beastie was on-board, but as I've mentioned here before, I did not believe until the second she was ripped kicking and screaming from my abdomen that I would be a mother. I did not have a single dream about "Beastie" the entire time I was pregnant. I was hesitant to paint her room. Listening to talk about "when the baby gets here" made me break out in hives. So while I was pregnant last Mother's Day, I certainly didn't consider myself a mother.

But this year is obviously different.
This little girl lives in my house now.

And to say she has changed my world forever doesn't even do justice to the impact she has had on my life.

Here's what being a mom means to me:

Being a mom means bearing witness on a daily basis to the myriad possibilities of what my daughter may become (even if it is Olivia Newton John's body double).




Being a mom means establishing silly rituals, like smelling her feet while changing her diaper and pretending her feet stink (which they actually do sometimes, but shhh, don't tell her or she'll develop a complex) and singing songs about breakfast for no other reason than to see the light in her eyes and to hear the tiny giggle my ridiculousness produces.

Being a mom means removing enormous snot globs from nostrils, clumps of sticky food from under multiple fleshy chins, and clumps of cat hair from between busy fingers with a level of perfection unmatched by any other adult in her life, and feeling secretly proud of your prowess.

Being a mom means hoarding stacks of unread books in your closet and under your bedside table, and knowing that it will be a cold day in hell before you'll be able to read them all, because you're too busy reading Goodnight Moon for the 343rd time, and you don't mind one bit (or at least, much).

Being a mom means stepping away from the laptop with a deadline looming and a manager calling you every 15 minutes to sit on the floor with your daughter and play with a stacking toy, because while your employer can easily replace you, your child will never have another mother.

Being a mom means delighting in the many tiny ways your child changes each day, even if that day's change happens to be blowing raspberries while sitting in her highchair with a mouth full of pureed green beans.

Being a mom means giving an incredible gift to your family, and witnessing from afar the unimaginable level of joy your child brings into the lives of others.




And being a mom means wearing your heart outside your body in the form of your child, and coming to the realization that when your child smiles, laughs, cries, or endures pain, then so, in fact, do you.
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there, and especially to the moms celebrating their first official Mother's Day. And for those of you who are still waiting, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow too.

12 Responses to “What Being a Mom Means to Me”

  1. # Blogger kenju

    Kristi, this is the sweetest, most heart-warming post I've read all day! You are a good, good mother. Happy Mother's Day!

    P.S. The photo of Beastie in pink is wonderful! And I don't think there is a mom alive who doesn't play the stinky feet game.  

  2. # Blogger M

    HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!!! :) What a great feeling it is!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Happy Mother's Day, Kristi!
    How blessed you all are! Enjoy your day.
    hugs  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Happy Mom's Day, Kristi! The "Olivia Newton John" photo of Isabella is the first photo I've seen of her where I'm realizing how much bigger she's gotten. She's hurtling towards toddlerhood!  

  5. # Blogger My Wombinations

    Happy Mother's Day! You are such an amazing mom.  

  6. # Blogger Marie

    Happy Mother's Day, a day late, Kristi!!! Here's to a million more readings of Goodnight Moon....  

  7. # Blogger Christine

    Happy Mother's Day!

    Isabella is gorgeous these days, I mean it. I think she is just getting better and better looking and she started off so cute to begin with!  

  8. # Blogger Jenny

    Happy Mother's Day! I love this post. I love the part about forget work and play with Isabella instead especially.
    These pictures are too cute - just like Isabella. She's so loveable!
    And for the "...unimaginable level of joy your child brings into the lives of others", I feel lucky to be one of them!  

  9. # Blogger Damselfly

    Oh, I love this! Beastie is lucky to have you as her wonderful mother. Hope you had the happiest Mother's Day!  

  10. # Blogger sher

    OK, you did it! You made me get all weepy and stare at the computer monitor with a goofy smile on my face as I read that!!!! Happy Mother's Day, belatedly. I just love looking at Isabella's lovely face.  

  11. # Blogger The Queen B

    I hope your 1st Mother's Day was everything you deserved!  

  12. # Blogger Kristi

    Thanks for the sweet Mother's Day wishes, everyone. :)  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly