Christmas Comes Early

Last night, the citizens of this fine country gave our dear President a much-needed and long overdue kick in the arse. They stood together and gave Democrats control of the House, and it looks like the Senate as well, assuming Montana and Virginia stay blue, as they appear to be now.

But this election was about more than giving back control of Congress to the Democrats. This election served as a referendum to W. A referendum that said that we as Americans are sick of Republican corruption and scandel. We are fed up with the theocracy he has so desperately tried to create in this country that was built on the separation of church and state. And we are outraged at his gross mishandling of the Iraq war.

This country now has its very first female Speaker of the House in Nancy Pelosi. Dennis Hastert (or Shrek, as I like to call him) can now retreat quietly into whatever dark forest he emerged from. And while Colorado sadly voted against legalizing domestic partnerships and for defining marriage as between a man and a woman, more progressive Missourians voted to protect embryonic stem cell research, both in a ballot amendment, and by electing Claire McCaskill.

2008 is still two years away. But for the first time in a long time, I feel better about the direction in which this country is headed.

So, what did you think of last night's results?

4 Responses to “Christmas Comes Early”

  1. # Blogger Dawn

    I agree with you Kristi. I am not as into politics as you are (although this year I wish I had been), but I hope that the sweeping changes brought in will have an upward effect. I probably technically consider myself a republican (don't shoot!), but I am not comfortable at all with the way the Bush Jr. has wielded the power of the presidency. Maybe this will "balance" the power a little until 2008. And we'll see what party I'm voting with then. I just hope that we get some good candidates to choose from  

  2. # Blogger Shannon

    In listening to NPR's election coverage for much of last night, I felt an uplift I haven't felt since Clinton was in office. I feel there is actually hope for this country to get back on a more progressive track towards making the world a better place for the next generation. I know, I can't believe I just typed that out, I mean, how hokey am I?! But I really feel that way.

    The people have spoken! I'm still on pins and needles about Montana and Virginia . . .  

  3. # Blogger Binulatti

    I feel like the fog has lifted. It's so strange to feel (gasp) optimistic for a change. To the end of Santorum, try googling his last name. The results are the work of Dan Savage, editor of our weekly entertainment rag [The Stranger]. He's also in the Urban Dictionary. Vive the subversive Left!  

  4. # Blogger Kirsten

    Crazy! I used the same words for a title of my own yesterday.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly