Pumpkin Pound Cake with Cinnamon Glaze


Ramona's prize from the Pumpkin Pay It Forward contest is speeding its way to Canada as I write this. Having never made this particular recipe before, I was interested in how it would turn out. The cake was dense, moist, and very flavorful, as any good pound cake should be. And although it called for a full 15oz can of pumpkin, the taste wasn't overly "pumpkiny." I know this because I figured the easiest way to pack and ship the cake was by cutting it up into slices. And, as luck would have it, that last slice? Didn't fit. Darn it! So, into my mouth it went. Hope you don't mind, Ramona! Consider it quality control. I wouldn't want my friend to bite into an inferior product that might possibly cause her gastric distress. I know, you don't have to thank me. That's just the kind of gal I am.

Here's the recipe for those who want to give this one a whirl.

Cake
3 cups flour
1 TBS ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups unsalted buttered, softened
2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 15oz can pumpkin

Glaze
2 TBS unsalted softened butter
3oz cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2-3 TBS heavy whipping cream

Directions

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, 2 tsp cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.

3. In a large bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups butter and sugar at medium speed until light ad fluffy. Add eggs two at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, beat in pumpkin and 1 tsp vanilla until well blended. Slowly add flour mixture, beating until incorporated. Spoon batter into pan.

4. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until cake is a deep golden brown. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert cake on rack and cool completely.

5. In a large bowl, beat 2 tsp butter, cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla and 3/4 tsp cinnamon at low speed for one minute or until blended. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in crem cheese until you achieve desired consistency. Pour glaze over cake, and let stand until glaze is set.

9 Responses to “Pumpkin Pound Cake with Cinnamon Glaze”

  1. # Blogger M

    OMG that looks SO good! Damn, now I wish I woudl have played!
    I only bake from a box! lol  

  2. # Blogger Ramona

    I CAN'T WAIT!!! I AM SALIVATING ALREADY!!!  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    YUM YUM YUM.

    Seriously.  

  4. # Blogger Marie

    ps -- you could do baked goods for local cafes you know... really.  

  5. # Blogger The Queen B

    Now, you're going to mail one of those to me, right?!?!  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    M-Thanks! And baking from a box counts!

    Dianne-Cool. Let me know how it turns out.

    Ramona-Hee-Hee. I really hope you like it.

    Marie-Aww.. thanks. You're too sweet.

    Princess-Well, of course! Cake for everyone!  

  7. # Blogger Thalia

    Kristi that looks great, although I have no idea how you managed to transport it, even if you did slice it - any clues?  

  8. # Blogger sunShine

    Thank you for the recipe. I might attempt to make it for Thanksgiving. It looks yummy!  

  9. # Blogger Kristi

    Thalia-My great aunt is an expert cookie packer (she makes over 3,000 cookies each holiday season and ships them to relatives all over the US, so she gave me some good pointers. I used a big sturdy plastic container, and lots and lots of bubble wrap for padding.

    Sunshine-It's very good! Let me know if you decide to make it.

    Sher-That's right, and I'm nothing if not law-abiding! :)  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly