Golden Autumn Pumpkin Cake (Or, There's No Shame in Baking From a Box, Baby!)

My great uncle is a very small man. He's about to turn 82 years old, about 5'5, and when he went for his yearly physical last week, he was told by his doctor that he weighed 108 pounds. He eats like a bird. He'll have crackers for breakfast, and then he'll seldom eat again until dinner time. I don't know how he manages to have such a small appetite, because the only way crackers would satisfy me until dinner would be if "a box of" preceeded the word.

But my uncle does love his desserts. He researches dessert recipes meticulously, snipping them out of newspapers and magazines, and giving them to my great aunt to make, most of which she summarily dismisses as too complicated, too fussy, or simply because they aren't in the vast repertoire of recipes she knows by heart.

Two weeks ago at Sunday dinner he slipped me a recipe for Autumn Gold Pumpkin Cake and hinted that he'd love it if I would make it for the following week's dinner. Pumpkin? Cake? I'm on it! And best of all, this recipe is as easy, breezy as you could ever ask for. It consists of a box cake mix, with a few extra ingredients thrown in for flavor. M said in a comment to my Pumpkin Pound Cake post that she only bakes from a box. Well, this is a box cake recipe that is moist, delicious, and super-easy to make. And my uncle loved it.

Autumn Gold Pumpkin Cake

Ingredients

1 package Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden Cake Mix
3 eggs
1 cup water
1 cup pumpkin
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Frosting
Duncan Hines Vanilla Frosting
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and four 2 8-inch round cake pans.

2. Combine cake mix, eggs, water, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a large bowl and beat at medium speed for 4 minutes.

3. Pour batter into pans and bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool according to package instructions.

4. For the frosting, combine frosting and cinnamon. Stir until blended. Then fill and frost the cake.

12 Responses to “Golden Autumn Pumpkin Cake (Or, There's No Shame in Baking From a Box, Baby!)”

  1. # Blogger annie w.

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

  2. # Blogger annie w.

    Sounds wonderful! I LOVE those butter recipe box cakes. A question... Does the pumpkin in the recipe substitute for the butter?
    I'll be making this today! What a love you are to make it for your uncle!
    hugs  

  3. # Blogger M

    Looks delish...not a big pumpkin fan, other than pumpkin pie though.
    Do you have any recipes for a dessert that is EASY to make that maybe involves chocolate?
    The day after thanksgiving we'll be having some family over and I need some kind of dessert to serve. I may end up just buying something, which seems so lazy for guests, if i can't find something easy to make...that doesn't require a tremendous amount of ingredients. Now, remember, I typically only bake from a box...or those tubes of cookies. lol  

  4. # Blogger The Queen B

    Mmmmmmmm.....a recipe post, very tempting!!  

  5. # Blogger beagle

    Yummmmmmmmmmmm!  

  6. # Blogger kenju

    It sounds delicious and I will try it. Box cakes are my speed!  

  7. # Blogger shokufeh

    Sounds good!
    That uncle of yours sounds like such a sweetie. And such a character... slipping you the recipe.  

  8. # Blogger Distant Timbers Echo

    I think your great uncle and I would get along great! A man who loves his desserts is a man who knows how to live indeed!

    Haha!

    Always,
    Jas...

    PS, I am printing this recipe off and going for it!  

  9. # Blogger Marie

    Mmmm. I'm eating this cake in cupcake form right now. YUM! Thanks for passing it along! & thanks to your uncle too! ;-)  

  10. # Blogger Kristi

    Annie-The pumpkin definitely makes the cake moist and flavorful, so no butter is needed. Did you end up making it? And thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Sher-Wow, I had no idea professional bakers did this. It's a great idea.

    M-I have the perfect recipe for you. It's super easy, and my family loves it: Oreo Pie. I'll email it to you, but please remind me if I forget. My mind is a sieve lately.

    Princess and Beagle and Kenju: It is seriously yummy. Try it!

    Cal-Glad you liked it!

    Shokufeh-My uncle is a total sweetheart, and so funny too.

    Redneck-I love my desserts too. What's life without them?? Thanks for stopping by.

    Marie-Cool! I'm glad you tried it and like it. Does the little guy like it too?  

  11. # Blogger Leslie

    Even I could make this one!  

  12. # Blogger Michele

    My family doesn't really like frosting so I used a Bundt pan, sprinkled the cake with powdered sugar and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream....You can also zap your piece of cake in the microwave first for 15 seconds to warm it up first, then add your scoop of ice cream....Yummmmmy! Thanks so much for the recipe.
    : )  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly