Befuddled

Several news stories along with a few things I've come across in my own life this week have left me confused. Now, this state of mind is nothing new for me, of course. And especially now, considering the fact that I've figured I'm at least 22% dumber now than I was before Isabella was born. Babies. They eat your brain cells. I'm totally convinced of this.

Let's start with the Pope this week reaffirming the fact that Catholic priests must remain celibate and are not allowed to get married. The Catholic Church is in crisis mode. The number of ordained priests is dwindling. Churches all over the United States are having to shut their doors because there aren't enough priests to keep them open. And people are leaving the church in huge numbers (for a whole host of other reasons). But according to the Pope, priests cannot get married, and if they were, I believe there would be many, many more men taking vows. So why is this? I don't understand how having a wife would negatively impact the life of a priest. I believe it would only enhance their lives, enable them to more closely relate to their parishoners, many of whom are married, and enable them to more fully participate in the Church by receiving a sacrament to this point they've been unable to receive. This is just another example of the Vatican showing how truly out of touch it is with the modern world.

And then we have this little gem from my favorite person in the world, Michael Savage. How can one person be filled with so much hate? And the most terrifying aspect of the venom this man spews on a daily basis is that he has 8 million listeners. 8 million Americans are listening to this man's hate speech. 8 million. And if that doesn't scare you, nothing will.

Okay, I'm stepping off my political soapbox now and moving on to a few lighter topics.

As every baker worth her weight in flour, butter, and eggs does, I own the bible. And in looking through it the other day to find some recipes for the pies I'm making for Thanksgiving, I came across a recipe for New York-style Cheesecake. Expecting to see a recipe that included the traditional cream cheese filling atop a graham cracker crust, I was surprised to see that the crust actually called for crushed chocolate wafer sandwich cookies (essentially Oreos). A chocolate crust in a cheesecake? I don't get it. I've never heard of this before, and I've had cheesecake in NYC that didn't have this crust. So color me confused. Anyone know why this is called New York-style cheesecake?

So how is it that a little girl who usually looks like this


can turn into the demon spawn of el diablo with absolutely no warning? Thursday was the day from hell. She was cranky all day. And all night. Crying for no reason. Wanting to be held almost constantly, and even then she was fidgety and out-of-sorts. Sleep and I broke up that night, and it was not an amicable split. I called a lactation consultant because she wasn't nursing properly, and she said she was going through a growth spurt, which can cause all kinds of bizarro behavior. Oh please, God, please let her stop growing now. I don't care if she stays 23 inches long forever. Mama needs her sleep.

And finally, this. How is it that mothers sit bolt upright in bed the nanosecond their children start to cry, and begin to respond immediately, but if you lay a screaming child down in bed next to his or her sleeping father, dear old dad keeps slumbering away in peace? I truly believe this is either one of life's great mysteries, or a con act whose techniques of pulling it off have been passed down from father to father throughout the ages. If anyone can answer this one for me, I would really be grateful.

6 Responses to “Befuddled”

  1. # Blogger Damselfly

    What a great photo! Perfect.

    And yeah, what is it about fathers being able to sleep through a crying baby?! I told myself it's that mine sleeps next to my side of the bed, but maybe ... maybe it really is a mama thing.  

  2. # Blogger Shannon

    Hmmm. Well, according to Wikipedia's entry about New York style cheesecake, "New York-style cheesecake, made famous by Lindy's and Junior's Deli, relies upon heavy cream, cream cheese, eggs and egg yolks to add a richness and a smooth consistency. Also called Jewish-style, it is baked in a special 5- to 6-inch tall springform pan in many restaurants. Some recipes use cottage cheese and lemon for distinct texture and flavor or add chocolate or strawberry to the basic recipe." So I think the crust has nothing to do with the actual style of cheesecake. It's how the cheesecake filling is made that makes it New York.  

  3. # Blogger kenju

    I agree with you about priests's being allowed to marry. You know if an Episcopal priest is married, and he wants to become a Catholic priest, they let him and he doesn't have to get divorced. Your arguments are all the same ones I have had for 40+ years.

    And about fathers being able to sleep with screaming babies at their sides? I think it is an art passed down from dad to son. They all do it!  

  4. # Blogger M

    OMG- I can so relate to all of your posts-- it's crazy. We began sleepign with Maddy in her pack n play beside our bed. Mike decided he would put the pack n play on his side last night and take care of her. Great, I thought. Except the man can sleep through a freaking tornado. I, of course, hear every little whimper. He, on the other hand, had to be kicked several times by me to wake up when she began crying. And sometimes, all would be silent-- sleeping baby...sleeping mama...and dad would shoot straight up as if poked in the ass by a pitchfork and wonder what was going on. This, in turn, scared the shit out of me. So, now I'm not only waking up when the baby is crying, I'm also waking up when the baby is NOT crying, because mike "thought he heard her".
    OY VEY!  

  5. # Blogger Christine

    Your daughter's shocked-flash-induced expressions are priceless.

    Hmm..on Shannon's comment. Somewhere around here I have a signed Junior's cookbook (for I am a large geek)...and if you want I can email you the recipe for their cheesecake. As much as I may enjoy the great Martha, I've never seen a "New York Style" cheesecake with a chocolate crust.  

  6. # Blogger sunShine

    She is just adorable!

    My hubby can sleep through our baby crying his eyeballs out most of the time. I think maybe it is a gift that they are born with. Growth spurts and teething SUCK!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly