Isabella

I've heard so many say that motherood changes your life forever. And I've nodded and said, "Of course it does." For me, this statement was elementary. It meant that there were no more spontaneous road trips. No more Saturday nights out at nice restaurants. No time to yourself. But that's really not what this means at all. I mean, yes, motherhood does change your life in these ways. But from my perspective, the heart of this statement about change is this: one 6 pound 10 oz little girl has turned my world on its axis with an intense, overwhelming, and all-consuming love such that I've never before experienced. I never thought I could love someone as much as I do my daughter. (I have a daughter!). This is what the change born from motherhood is about for me.

We arrived home on Friday. She is doing wonderfully. She looks like her dad. I have a hard time seeing me in her face. She has slept through the night since she was born. I've had to wake her up to feed her. My mom is staying with us for a week to help out, which has been great. We've had a housefull of visitors for the past two days, which has been both exhausting and gratifying (so many people to love and hold her). And there have been approximately 1 trillion photos snapped of Isabella in various friends' and relatives' arms. The poor dear now knows what it feels like to be Shiloh Jolie-Pitt, minus the ridiculously attractive parents.

I'll fill you in on the details of Isabella's birth soon. As I type this, she's fussing in the bassinett next to my bed. But I will tell you this now. I cried throughout the whole surgery. And not because it was painful (although parts of it were). And not because I was scared (although I certainly was). I cried because lying on that table, with my arms extended on either side, and hooked up to heartrate monitors, an IV, and a blood pressure cuff, with a blue tarp six inches from my face and extending vertically up to shield me from seeing the surgery, and with four surgeons pulling and yanking at my temporarily paralyzed body, the only thought in my mind was that my journey through the center of the hell of infertility was over. I was minutes away from having my baby, the one for whom I fought for over two years to have, and during that time, I truly believed I was the luckiest girl on the face of the earth. I still believe I am.

Isabella has a whole stockpile of faces she makes when she's about let one loose in her nether regions. This is one of her more endearing.

Isabella sings an aria during her tryout for La Boheme.

One of only three pictures in existence of me and Isabella. And no, I'm not kidding.

Thank you to Marie and Karrie for keeping everyone updated on Ella's arrival. And for everyone's well wishes on their blogs and on mine, I am so grateful and honored. I plan on printing these out for her baby book, so she knows how many people cared about her arrival into the world.

19 Responses to “Isabella”

  1. # Blogger Dawn

    I can't believe it. Congratulations!!! She is beautiful and you look great together. It seems like it took forever for this day to get here, but watch out: for now that she's here, time will fly. You know what they say about when you're having fun! And I'm sure two parents were never so happy to change dirty diapers or wake up in the middle of the night. What a lucky baby. Get lots of rest and kiss Isabella for me!  

  2. # Blogger Geekwif

    She's absolutely beautiful. Congratulations, Kristi!  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    Tell Dad & the gang to get snapping! You'll want lots & lots of pics of the two of you together!!

    I'm so happy for you and Rich, Kristi!
    Isabella is such a sweet a precious girl.

    Congratulations!!!  

  4. # Blogger M

    She is GORGEOUS. I'm thrilled for you and have been glued to the computer waiting for a post from you. :)
    I must admit you birth story overview has me a little freaked out...waiting to hear the whole thing.  

  5. # Blogger Shannon

    I'm with "M," I've been glued to the computer as well, checking for the first Isabelle entry coming from you! I can't wait to hear your birth story either--hopefully it wasn't as bad as Linda's at All & Sundry. She wrote a detailed entry a year ago on what the whole c-section experience is like, and I was hoping yours went better!  

  6. # Blogger Ramona

    Oh Kristi! I am so happy for you and Rich! I have tears in my eyes, you look so happy, and she is SOOOO beautiful!  

  7. # Blogger The Queen B

    I'm so happy for you and your husband. What a wonderful blessing I'm sure she already has been.

    My one word of advice? Don't blink! Time will fly so fast now. Mine is 8 months old today and I'm still trying to figure out where the time went. Enjoy every single moment and when the moments don't feel so enjoyable remember, it WILL get better!  

  8. # Blogger vlb5757

    Congratulations! She's a doll. Take time to enjoy every moment. They grow up too quickly. Mine are 24 and 22. I would to have a baby in my life again. They smell just like baby powder and lotion. Just gotta love 'em!  

  9. # Blogger Christine

    She is just beautiful. Congratulations a million times over to you and Rich.

    And you? You look fantastic. I cannot believe you had a C-section only days ago.

    Way to go Mamma!  

  10. # Blogger Dianne S

    Congratulations, Kristi. Yes, motherhood does change everything - it's something that you just can't explain or put into words. Like I said before, she will never know how much you love her until she has children of her own. And believe it or not, you will learn far more things from her than she will from you :)

    She's beautiful.  

  11. # Blogger angela

    A gorgeous, gorgeous baby! Many congratulations to you all, Angela  

  12. # Blogger sunShine

    Beautiful. You look so natural holding her. I am glad that all went well and you are safe and sound at home now with her.

    Everyone always tells you that motherhood changes everything, but until you experience it, you never fully understand.

    I am so very happy for you.  

  13. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    Kristi, I am so happy for you and Rich. I'm smiling here just seeing that picture of the two of you.

    So looking forward to reading about your adventures together, and your birth story.

    All the best to you three!  

  14. # Anonymous Anonymous

    *Congratulations*

    Treasure those first few days and weeks - they grow so quickly and soon enough, she won't have time to just snuggle in your arms anymore. She'll be too busy trying to jump off the couch or something :)

    Keeping my fingers crossed that she continues to sleep through the night and be an all-around easy babe! But when she does have her moments, remember that babies seem to learn something new and adorable every time you think you're at the end of your rope. And that makes up for a lot. Everything really.

    Enjoy her!  

  15. # Blogger Leslie

    She is so stinkin' cute! And look! A pic of you not wearing the stripey shirt made of Laffy Taffy (that's the only way I can explain its resilience).  

  16. # Blogger Kristi

    Dawn-Thank you! And although I am exhausted, it's worth every dark circle under my eyes.

    Sher-Aww.. thanks. We think she's pretty cute too.

    Geekwif-Thank you!

    Marie-LOL. I know. Everyone wants pictures of her, or pictures of her with various people. I'm feeling left by the curb. Hee-hee.

    M-Thanks. Birth story coming soon. And don't worry, it isn't all that awful, as far as c-sections go.

    Shannon-Now I've got to go read All and Sundry's birth story. You're piqued my curiosity!

    Ramona-Thank you!

    Princess-I know what you mean! She's only 6 days old, and is already changing and doing things she wasn't going just days ago. It makes me want to freeze time.

    Vlb-I plan on it. I don't want her to grow too fast. And thanks for stopping by.

    Christine-Thanks. I don't feel like my old self just yet, but it feels good to have the baby in my arms and not in my belly!

    Dianne-I know exactly what you mean now. The love I have for her is just incredible.

    Angela and Annelynn-Thank you.

    Sunshine-Thanks. And you're right. Everything changed for me the moment she was born.

    Hopeful-Thank you. That means so much to me.

    Smashedpea-You're totally right. I expect her to have her moments, and from everything I went through to have her, I'll treasure those crazy times too.

    L-LOL. No more Laffy Taffy shirt!  

  17. # Blogger kenju

    My very best to you and little Isabella (love the name)! Congratulations of the highest order, Kristi. She is beautiful - and you look pretty good yourself, considering.  

  18. # Blogger shokufeh

    Congratulations!
    She's beautiful.  

  19. # Blogger beagle

    Adding my belated congratulations! You both look wonderful and full of wonder.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly