Tart Up Your Tee Time!

A major event in women's golf is coming to my city this week. In Sunday's paper, a huge special section featuring the golfers appeared. Some of the star players were pictured on the cover. But instead of wearing golfing gear (visors, shorts, polo shirts, and the like) the female golfers looked like they just got finished performing at the Pussycat Dolls' open audition.

Now, I don't follow golf. I don't play it. I don't watch it. I don't understand it. (Sorry, Rich.) But there are a few things I do know about the sport. First, the major women's golfing events don't garner half the fan support, sponsorship, or television coverage that even the most minor of men's golfing events do. Second, female golfers are often looked upon as "dykes in spikes" or "chicks with sticks." In other words, they're not taken seriously. And third, if you're a golfer who happens to have breasts and a vagina instead of other "parts," you're not welcome to join as a member of the United States' premier golfing club, Augusta National. In fact, you're not even allowed to play there unless you are personally invited and accompanied by a male member.

So my question is this: Is this ad the kind of image the female professional golfer needs projected? Come see this major women's golf event! The chicks are HAWT! Look, they're not lesbians, or masculine-looking. They wear makeup! They have highlights! They look killer in a mini-skirt!

Right. Exactly what female golfers need in order to be taken seriously in a sport where the major news coverage, fan interest, and tournament-winning paychecks favor their male counterparts.

Gee, I wonder when we'll see the ads picturing Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson shaved, shirtless, and oiled down?

5 Responses to “Tart Up Your Tee Time!”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    I definitely had a furrowed brow when I saw that pic in Sunday's paper... I don't follow golf either and thought that was just plain ODD.  

  2. # Blogger Leslie

    I am so sick of the pressure for women to be "put together" and "made up" and just generally more attractive than anyone ever expects a man to be. Lately I've been noticing all the beautiful women with homely men on their arms, and I think, "NOT FAIR!". You wanna be homely? Fine, nothin' wrong with that. But you shouldn't expect to land yourself some hot mama just because that's what women are supposed to do - be hot. Why don't we ever hear about guys "letting themselves go"?

    As for the women golfers? Who doesn't want to look good for a photo? But c'mon - make the photo and the ad pertinent to the advertising context. Geezuz.  

  3. # Blogger Ramona

    LOL! I've often thought sports would be more interesting if the athletes wore different (or no!) clothes. Picture naked NFL, those boys bending over...ok, gross maybe, but it would definitely make the game more interesting!
    How about Tiger in a thong?!  

  4. # Blogger Binulatti

    Who knows. Seems like getting glamour shots is a voluntary thing. They wouldn't have done it if they didn't see some kind of personal advantage/opportunity to it. That there's an audience for it is not really their problem. Could be worse, I guess. You, on the cover of Maxim - Anna Kournakiva, we're talking abut you here.  

  5. # Blogger Kristi

    Cal-I thought of you when I wrote this. And I knew you'd have this response. ;)

    Marie-Yeah, it's odd, alright.

    Christy-Yup-that's exactly when I can't stand golf. So boring!

    L-Unfortunately, women are held to a "beauty standard" that men have never and will never be held do. And I think that's what's at the heart of this ad. Male golfers can be fat and balding, but women golfers have to look like they belong in the pages of the SI swimsuit issue to apparently attract fans? Ugh.

    Ramona-LOL. Yup-it would definitely be more interesting that way!

    Karrie-My point was that women golfers need to "sell sex to sell tickets," which is not the way to be taken seriously as athletes. They're never going to get the payouts and endorsement deals their male counterparts do if they objectify themselves like this.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly