Mother's Day 2006

Four or five years ago, I decided to invite my extended family over to my house for Mother's Day brunch. The women in my family, from my mom to my grandma to my aunts, are so generous with their time, energy, and food (and keep this non-chef in leftovers for at least a few days of the week thanks to Sunday dinner) that they all deserve something special for Mother's Day, and I figured I could gather us all in one place and try to provide that for them. It's become a tradition, and I've hosted Mother's Day brunch at my house ever since.

Each year I try to make them a little gift to take home with them. This year's giftie was a little vase with gerbera daisies in them, each tied with a bow.


Here's my dining room, all set up before everyone arrivied. On the menu was Paul Deen's Baked French Toast Casserole (recipe coming soon), freshly baked oatmeal muffins, fruit salad, two quiches prepared by my great aunt (you can't stop an Italian woman from cooking, even when she's one of the guests of honor), and for dessert, strawberry crumb cake.

My family members and Rich gave me presents, which made me feel both incredibly special and incredibly disconcerted. I don't consider myself a mother yet, although I have worried about and loved the Beastie since the second I found out he/she existed.

Rich gave me a book called Love You Forever. It's the story of a mother's love for her son as he grows from a baby into a man. I'd like to go on record and say that this book should come with a warning label on the front. By the time I got to the end of it, I was balling. Yes, balling. I'm blaming pregnancy hormones.

It's okay if you want to laugh at me. I'd laugh at me if I were you. But after talking with a few of my friends (some mothers and some not) I've realized that this book has the same effect I experienced on quite a few people.

Chubbie asked me to read the book to her, and so I did, even though she's perfectly capable of reading it herself. She regresses sometimes.

And finally here I am with mamacita who came into town without #4. Again! For the second time in two weeks! Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Lately, she's obsessed with touching my belly. And since my last "belly shot" at 22 weeks, that belly has grown, let me tell you. It seemed to happen all at once. You'll see what I mean when I post my 26 week shot next week.

9 Responses to “Mother's Day 2006”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    Hooray for Santa Claus!!

    You've outdone yourself, yet again, MarthaKristi!! I don't know how you do it all.

    I still cry when I read that book... and I've read it many many times now.

    You look great, Momma!!  

  2. # Blogger Shannon

    What a great brunch and can I just say how jealous I am of your dining room with the French doors that lead out onto what looks like a sunroom?! I crave that. Maybe someday we can put an addition on our house.  

  3. # Blogger Binulatti

    Aww. I wish I coulda been there. You're so dang sweet, daisies and all.  

  4. # Blogger Leslie

    Your table setting looks beautiful! Sounds like Beastie is a pretty effective #4 repellant. Strange - Beastie is attracting all kinds of love, but repelling #4....hmmmmmm....Could Beastie harbor some kind of super power?  

  5. # Blogger M

    Hi kristi-
    I decided to pop over since you left a message on my blog! Can I just tell you- we are SO much alike? I especially related to your Dec. 14th post about Catholicsm and faith. I think I have a similar post to that on my blog!

    I tried to skim through some of your posts....did you find out what you're having? What led you to IVF? Let's chat!  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    What a wonderful weekend!!

    YAY I am sooooo happy for you!

    Sounds like we had double special weekends again ;)  

  7. # Blogger Kristi

    Marie-Nah. Martha will always hold the crown. I'm a mere pretender. And I'm glad I'm not the only sap who cried over that book!

    Shannon-I love the sunroom too. Someday I'd like to make it into a three-season room, because right now we can only use it in the spring and summer.

    Karrie-Me too!

    L-Thanks! Here's to hoping Beastie keeps up the super powers!

    M-Thanks for stopping by! We opted not to find out what we're having. I wanted to cave at the ultrasound, but my husband didn't!

    As for IVF: After two years of trying, and multiple Clomid and injectible IUI cycles, IVF was the next step for me. We have unexplained infertility. It was a very frustrating two years, but I'd go through it all again to be where I am right now.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous
  9. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly