Save Your Fork. There's Pie! Part Two

I suppose cheesecake isn't exactly a pie. It's, well, a cake. But for some reason I've always considered it a member of the pie family.

Moving on.

If you've read this blog for awhile, you know I'm a big fan of cheesecake. I like all kinds, really, and made my very first cheesecake from scratch last November, after reading about it on Dawn's blog. Because it came out so well, I've made that pumpkin cheesecake several times since then, and a few regular cheesecakes too. And they've all turned out great, which is as shocking to me as it is to anyone.

But prior to Easter, I've never before made a chocolate cheesecake. Now, as you know, I'm not a chocolate fan. I don't like it, and haven't since I was a little girl. But as most other people on the planet do, my family members love it, so I set out to make Nigella's Chocolate Cheesecake for them.

I wouldn't call this cheesecake a "chocolate cheesecake," because for me, that calls to mind a brown cheesecake, and as you can see, this one turned out more marbled. And I can't give you my review of how it tasted, because I didn't have any. It's still chocolate, people, even if it IS cheesecake! But I can tell you my family loved it, and it went the quickest of the three desserts I made. So, based on their reviews, I'd say I'd make this one again too!

Nigella's Chocolate Cheesecake

Ingredients

1/2 cup plus 1 TBSP graham cracker crumbs

1/4 cup very soft or melted unsalted butter

18 ounces cream cheese

1/2 cup sugar

3 large eggs

3 large egg yolks

3/4 cup sour cream

1/2 to 1 TSP lime juice (to taste)

5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted

8-inch springform pan

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put the kettle on to boil.

2. Process the crackers and butter together in a food processor and press into the bottom of the pan. Then, stick the pan in the fridge until the filling is ready.

3. Beat the cream cheese until smooth, and then mix in the sugar. Add the eggs and yolks, one by one, beating in after each addition. Pour in the sour cream and the lime juice and beat until smooth and creamy. Taste to see if you want a more sour base, and if so, add more lime juice. Gently fold in the melted chocolate. You want a cheesecake marbled with chocolate, so don't combine fully.

4. Line the springform pan with aluminum foil on the outside, and then repeat. Stand the pan in a roasting pan, and fill it with the mixture. Pour hot water from the boiled kettle into the roasting pan to come 3/4 to 1 inch up the side of the cake plan. Place in oven and cook for one hour.

5. When the cheesecake is ready, it should have browned a little on the edges and the center should be just set on top, with a hint of wobble in the center. Remove the cake tin and tear away the foil. Sit on a rack to cool, then refrigerate before unmolding and leaving it to get back to room temperature.

I also made this Key Lime Pie. While I love Key Lime Pie, and I've made it a few times, I'm still in search of how to make it more sturdy. When you cut into it, it's not that firm, and is a bit wobbly. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe it's supposed to be like this?

8 Responses to “Save Your Fork. There's Pie! Part Two”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    mmmm cheesecake
    sadly casey doesnt like it, I am going to have to mae one anyway... I think  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Heaven on earth. That's what THAT is. YUUUMMMMMM!  

  3. # Blogger Christine

    Funny, I like the taste of cheesecake, but can only eat about two bites because the texture bothers me. However, chocolate...I love. Especially bittersweet or dark varieties.

    And the key lime pie...it looks delicious, but I have no tips.

    I'm just a font of knowledge.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Well, I haven't tasted it--and I love it. For one thing, it's a Nigella recipe and that's always been good enough for me. It looks beautiful.  

  5. # Blogger beagle

    Mmmmm . . .I'll have to stop by here more often!  

  6. # Blogger Shannon

    My friend Gregg's girlfriend was recently talking about how she makes a sturdy Key Lime pie! I will ask her what her recipe/secret is and get back to you.  

  7. # Blogger Kristi

    Clare-That's not a bad position to be in. You can eat the whole thing yourself!

    Marie-:)

    Christine-I don't really like super-rich cheesecake either. Luckily, I've only ever had that kind a few times.

    Sher-Thanks! And Nigella's recipes are always so good, aren't they?

    Beagle-Thanks for stopping by!

    Shannon-Thanks! I can't wait to hear what she says.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly