One Last Trip

Babymoon: one last vacation taken by a couple before their first child arrives and they no longer have the time to breathe, let alone go away for the weekend.

Rich and I love to travel, me more so than him. And while my anal-retentive, planning personality doesn't allow for many spontaneous, pack-up-and-go-on-a-whim trips, we've (or rather I have) sought out and organized many a weekend trip for us so that we can just get away for a little while. I love exploring new places, new towns and cities, new restaurants, and Rich does too, although I secretly think he humors me quite a bit when the couch and remote and 1000 cable channels would suit his sense of adventure just fine.

This weekend we're going away for our last hurrah. We're headed to a cute little town in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York called Skaneateles. I've tried to "unclench" just a wee bit for this trip and not plan every second of the trip, but basically we plan on relaxing, walking around the lake, shopping, and trying to take several thousand mental pictures of the last shreds of our baby-free existence.

Now obviously, I wouldn't change one thing about having the Beastie join our life in about 3.5 months. This baby is so wanted, I can't even put it into words. But Rich and I will definitely have some adjusting to do. We've been afforded the luxury of being 100% selfish with our time for the last 9+ years we've spent together as a couple. If we don't feel like cooking dinner (read: microwaving), well, we don't, and we order a pizza instead. If we feel like picking up and going shopping at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, we don't have to consider anyone else's schedule but our own when we pick up and go. These things, and a whole lot of others, are about to change.

And not only that, but there will soon be another person living in our house with us and the cats, all the time. It won't just be "Kristi and Rich" anymore. Our relationship is going to change as well, and from some of the things I've been reading lately, it might not be for the better, until we get used to how a little screaming being fits into the pretty well-defined fabric of our lives.

But for this weekend, for one last trip, it will just be us. And hopefully once Beastie arrives, we'll be able to remember our lives as a couple, go out once and awhile just as a couple rather than a trio, and remember that we didn't get married to have children, but instead to spend the rest of our lives together. And that the needy little person in the next room only adds to the joy.

10 Responses to “One Last Trip”

  1. # Blogger Ramona

    Enjoy your Babymoon! Skaneateles looks like a really quaint little town...the perfect getaway.  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    It's a nice little town. Are you planning to dine at the Sherwood Inn (?-- I think that's the name). I've had lunch there. Nice antique shops, gorgeous setting. Have fun!!!  

  3. # Blogger Leslie

    It's great that you both recognize how this will affect your relationship and that you're taking steps to remember that you're a couple and not just parents. I have some married parent friends who go out on a date at least once a month. As a result, they get to maintain their connection and then present a more united front to the kids. Neat how that works out.

    Have a great time! :)  

  4. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    I love the word "Babymoon."

    I agree, it's great that you recognize the changes that are about to come into your life as a couple (good and bad).

    Have a wonderful time nurturing your relationship together!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Have a great time!!! You will do fine with beastie--and you will find ways to have time as a couple, because you see that it's vital. And I'm sure there will be people who will babysit to let you both go off and have fun. I would--but I live too far away!  

  6. # Blogger Shannon

    Awww, great entry! I hope you are having a fabulous time on your Babymoon!  

  7. # Blogger Kristi

    Ramona-Thanks. We certainly did!

    Marie-We had breakfast there, as the Village Inn is owned by the Sherwood, and breakfast was included in our room rate. Beautiful place! We actually wanted to stay there, but they told us that all the prime rooms were booked 1-2 years in advance!

    L-That is so important to me: that we don't lose the "couple" aspect of our relationship once the baby is born. And you're so right about the united front.

    Hopeful-I know. It IS a cute word, isn't it?

    Sher-Yup. I agree. We've been together for 9 years and I don't want to just abandon the "couple" relationship in favor of the "parent" one.

    Shannon-Thanks! We did have a great time.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I agree with everyone else's comments here that it's good to hear you're thinking about how things are going to change.

    Sign me up for babysitting anytime you guys want some time for yourselves! I'm know many of your relatives will volunteer too. You have me living conveniently right around the corner and I'll be disappointed if you don't take advantage of it :)  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous
  10. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly