Toot and Puddle

When someone close to you (so close, in fact, that the person almost feels like an extension of yourself at times) is hurting, and there is nothing, nothing you can do to help this person, it's an awful, terrible feeling. Some of you who read this blog also read my sister's, and you know she's going through a tough time right now. And she's 3,000 miles away. If my circumstances were different, nothing would stop me from hopping on a plane right now to be with her. But even if they were, I'm not sure my company would be something she'd even want at this point.

I sent her a package a few weeks ago. Just some little things to cheer her up, albeit temporarily. I made her scones, which I know she loves. I sent her Godiva chocolate, of which she's always been a fan. But they're not the hug I want so badly to give her. They aren't the distraction I want so much to provide. They aren't the company I want to fill her house with.

I was in an antique store this past weekend, and the store had an old books section. Wandering around, I came across the children's section. Now, I've never been a fan of kiddie lit. Rich loves it, as he's obviously immersed in all things kiddie and has been for years in his job as a teacher. Yet I've never been able to relate to or to take an interest in children's books. But something made me stop in this bookstore's children's section.

Two books came home with me. I hadn't yet purchased a single item for the Beastie. It's always seemed like bad luck to me. Or too soon. Or too concrete an action to buy something for this baby, which still doesn't feel "real" yet, despite the kicks I'm feeling daily. But I know I need to get over myself. And by buying these two books, I did.

One is a Golden Book about a duck. I bought it because I remember Golden Books so fondly from my own childhood, and the baby's room is going to have a duck theme. The other book is called Toot and Puddle.

Toot and Puddle: You are My Sunshine is a story of two pigs who are best friends. Toot is down in the dumps, and Puddle tries everything he can to boost his pal's spirits. He makes Toot his favorite dessert. He takes Toot boating. He sings him silly songs. But Toot, for no discerable reason, just isn't happy.

At the end of the book, a thunderstorm occurs, and Puddle and his other animal pals are all terrified. Everyone, that is, except for Toot. And the next day, Toot is back to his old happy self. Puddle says, "Sometimes you need a big whopping thunderstorm to clear the air."

Despite Toot's sad feelings, Puddle never leaves his side, and never stops trying to boost his friend's spirits. Even when Toot is clearly not interested in doing any of the things he usually does with his pig pal, Puddle stands with him.

So, because I know you're reading, I want you to know I love you, Toot. You're in the storm now, but I'm right there with you. And when it passes, I'll be there for you then too.

10 Responses to “Toot and Puddle”

  1. # Blogger Binulatti

    Thanks Puddle.
    The little things mean everything. Thank you for the care package, for reaching out, for being there. Here's hoping a thunderstorm comes my way soon.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    That moved me so much. You are both so lucky to have each other.  

  3. # Blogger Leslie

    Oh, I can't believe I'm hoping for rain! And bin, it's s'posed to rain in Madison, WI for the rest of this week...maybe it'll carry into your trip next week.

    PSSST - kristi! Karrie told me about your care package and there was a wan smile tugging at her lips and a sense of wonder at how sweet a sister she has. What a great post.  

  4. # Blogger Shannon

    I love that you two are so close. It brings tears to my eyes.  

  5. # Blogger Marie

    I think we should start a movement, Kristi. The All-sisters-who've-moved too-damn-far-away-must-move-closer movement. I can sooo relate to your wanting to hug your sis in person. You're a hon of a sis!  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    awww so sweet
    u r so lucky that your relationship is so good :)  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi, visiting from Michele's and I'm glad I stopped by. In the world of freaky coincidences, my sister is also going thru a bad time and she and I were just instant messaging about it all when I happened on your blog. It is so hard when they are hurting and you can't do anything to make it go away.

    Great, great post...I'll visit again.  

  8. # Blogger beagle

    I'm so glad you have each other, thanks for sharing a glimpse of your special bond in this post.  

  9. # Blogger Ramona

    Awww...you're making me all teary. It's good to know that despite the distance in miles, in your hearts and minds you're never too far apart. You are lucky to have each other!
    And what a nice little story!  

  10. # Blogger Kristi

    Karrie-Anything you need, I'm only a phone call away Tootsie.

    Sher-I'm lucky to have her for my sis, that's for sure!

    L-Oh good! I'm really glad to hear that.

    Shannon- :)

    Marie-Amen to that. We can be co-presidents.

    Clare-we definitely are.

    WordNerd-Thanks for stopping by. I hope your sister gets her thunderstorm soon.

    Beagle-I am too!

    Ramona-The distance sucks, but we're still as close as ever. I just need to convince her to move back to the East Coast!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly