What's in a Name?

You may have noticed in the comment section of my last post that my sister called me "Shish." And you may have asked yourself, as many have upon hearing this strange name, "Who or what is a Shish?" Let me tell you how this nickname was born.

When I was a little girl and just learning to talk, I couldn't pronounce my name. So, "Kristi" came out as "Shishi"(rhymes with "swishy"). And apparently I referred to myself in the third person quite a bit, because I'm told I'd say things like "Shishi make a mess," "Shishi wants to go NOW," and "Shishi hungry" (yes, apparently I was quite the dork when I was younger). Anyway, the name stuck. I will turn 30 in less than three months. And my relatives, friends, and even my husband still call me Shishi or Shish (for short) today. They use this nickname more often than they use Kristi.

I actually like it. There are a million "Kristis" in the world, but I bet there aren't that many "Shishs."

Do you have a nickname that's stuck since childhood?

7 Responses to “What's in a Name?”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    LOL
    my little sister (21 months and 11 days younger)is named Jade, I couldn't ronounce it properl as a kid so I called her Shade or Shade-y She HATES it now hehehehehheh  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Thank God my childhood nicknames didn't stick!

    Mur
    and Rie-rie

    (both from my sisters, trying to either annoy me with the first, or butter me up with the second)

    My college nickname, M, has stuck among my college friends though. That one I don't mind!  

  3. # Blogger Geekwif

    I saw that comment, but I assumed it was just a funny way of saying "Sis". I don't have a childhood nickname that stuck. I have no siblings, so there was no one to mispronounce my name. Sure, there are names family and friends have called me over the years, but nothing has ever stuck.  

  4. # Blogger Kristi

    Clare-Ha! That's cute. Shady Lady.

    Marie-Aww... I think those names are cute.

    Alisha-Those are cute names! I like Auntie Lu the best. :)

    Geekwif-Nope. Sis isn't Shish, but that's actually pretty clever. I never thought of it that way.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Thank goodness "lawn job lund" didn't really stick too long after ages 16-17 :)

    And MC Jenny Jen was left in highschool too.

    My brother's friend called me "Winifred" or "Winnie" for some reason when we were younger. I can't even remember why now. That one lasted for a while... at least until high school I think. My brothers are the ones that would use it.  

  6. # Blogger Binulatti

    Here's hoping "Ida" dies a silent death. Shhh. (Whose idea was it to encourage that one anyhow?)  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly