Half Time

Before having Isabella, I used to run.

A lot.

I did 5 miles at a time, 6 days a week. I ran 30 miles each week in rain, sleet, snow, and blazing heat, and I not only loved each and every minute of it, but I was in the best shape of my life. I set a goal to train for a half-marathon.

And then I paid a fortune for the chance to get pregnant. I quit running before beginning the hormone shots of my IVF cycle. Even though running is perfectly safe during pregnancy. Even though continuing with most exercise programs is considered healthy and even advantageous to an easier pregnancy and recovery. I quit. I would not chance a fall or an injury. I had struggled with infertility too long.

After Isabella was born, I was able to start running again after my six-week postpartum checkup. I was working full-time from home, but I still had the time to run on the treadmill during her naps and outside on the weekend when the hubs was home. I averaged about 20-25 miles a week then.

Just before I started the FET cycle that resulted in Luci and Nico, I quit running again. And once they were born and my entire universe was flipped on its ass with six months of colic, three-to-four hours of sleep a night, and freelance work that I did during the 10 minutes a day that they weren't screaming or needing to be nursed, I ran when I could. That amounted to about 10 miles a week or less. I wasn't happy.

And then it was October, and we were moving. I was in the beginning months of my online teaching gig, which when combined with my freelance projects was a lot of work squeezed into a day that really needed to be 36 hours instead of 24.

I stopped running.

I couldn't find a way to incorporate something I loved so much into my life anymore. Three kids under the age of 3.5. Freelance work. No childcare. Laundry. Meals. Sleep. And hazardous winter running conditions. Are these excuses? Maybe. But could I see a way to get my running back? At the time, no.

In January, I was complaining (shocking, I know) to rockstar runner Sasha about how I wanted to start running again and somehow find a way to train for a half-marathon. I told her about my longtime desire to join this health club (which is more like a resort and a country club than a gym, and whose membership I wouldn't be able to afford) located five minutes from my house, because they have childcare facilities and I could run there. And at her urging, I pitched them some social media work (a blog and a Facebook page) in exchange for a membership.

Guess what? They liked the idea. And gave me a family membership in exchange for my work.

The healthy lifestyle blog, which is currently being designed by Ms. Mad Design Skillz herself, Ness, goes live in less than two weeks. I hope you'll stop by and check it out (I'll post the link when the blog is ready.) I could certainly use your support to bolster interest in the blog.

And I am running again. At the club and outside (when I have someone to watch the kids). I am averaging about 18-20 miles a week now. I started out so slowly (as in, 10-minute-mile slow), but just this past week, I rocked a five-miler at a 9:20 pace. I am improving. Training starts next month.

And damn, if I don't feel ALIVE again when I'm running. It is me, the road (or the treadmill), my ancient iPod shuffle rocking this and this and this (hello lyrics of my life), and this feeling of complete and utter exhilaration. There is no screaming on my runs. No "mommy. Hey, Mommy? MOMMY!" No diapers, no demands, no drama. Suddenly, I feel like me again. It's been a long time.

On Sunday, September 12th, you'll find me running this half-marathon. My goal is sub 2hr.

Or not dying while running 13.1 miles in what can be a very hot month in my city.

That's a good goal too.

11 Responses to “Half Time”

  1. # Blogger Sunny

    I am proud of you!! This is going to be SO good for you. Time out of your day doing something that you love that benefits you in countless ways. Can't wait to see the web site!  

  2. # Blogger Jeni

    That's awesome! I am amazed by anyone who has that kind of determination. My sorry self is only up for walking on the treadmill, not running :). Good luck with the training!  

  3. # Blogger Mel

    "And damn, if I don't feel ALIVE again when I'm running. It is me, the road (or the treadmill), my ancient iPod shuffle rocking this and this and this (hello lyrics of my life), and this feeling of complete and utter exhilaration.

    Amen and amen. I am looking at taking up trail running this year but still checking out the viability of being able to train for the event given the security risks of running alone...  

  4. # Blogger My Wombinations

    YAYAYAYAYAY! Go Kristi!  

  5. # Blogger Unknown

    I'm only putting in 10-12 miles a week, and my schedule isn't nearly as hectic as yours. Of course, I am a s-l-o-w runner. It would take me forever to complete a half marathon, so hat's off to you!  

  6. # Blogger Jesser

    This is so wonderful!! I'm so happy you've found a way to make it work. You are gonna rock your half-marathon. Running is good for the body and GREAT for the soul. ;)

    PS. Your slow starting pace is my kill-myself interval pace. :P  

  7. # Blogger MsGraysea

    What great news, Kristi. It is such a wonderful empowering feeling. Enjoy. It was my "staff of life" for many years. Age caught up with me, but I still love to think about how good I felt. Walking must do now but it still works the same way. Cannot wait for updates on your progress.  

  8. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Awesome!! I am so jealous.  

  9. # Blogger Christine

    Go you Kristi! Very exciting. Keep us posted. Maybe you'll provide the inspiration I need to get off my booty and back onto a jogging program, even if I never intend to run a marathon.  

  10. # Blogger Veronica

    That is awesome! YAY for you! I'm so glad you were able to get the membership for "free" for the family and of course that you're finding your center again by running (again).

    I'm so happy for you!  

  11. # Blogger chaoticadventures

    i miss running... no way i can run right now sporting the boobs i have... but also because of what fat i have left... it just hurts tooo much... so I will life through you till i can have plastics hehehe... enjoy!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly