Luci and Nicholas at Nine Months (*Updated)

Luci and Nicholas turned 9 months old yesterday. I've included a lot of photos in this month's update because honestly? This is the most fun month I've had with them since their birth. Things are getting easier. I never thought I would utter those four words, but it's true. They are less fussy. They cry less. They're sleeping better (relatively speaking), and I'm feeling less suicidal at the end of every day.

Over the last month, they've changed quite a bit. Most notably...


They're sitting up, almost independently. Both need a bit of support to prevent face-plants, and Luci sits up better than Nicholas, but it is so nice to have them upright. Their temperaments have changed (for the better) and I think this new skill has a lot to do with it.


I believe I can say this now without jinxing myself: I think we have seen the end of the "screaming through dinner" routine. After 8.5 long months of wanting to take my fork and stab it into my eardrums, we can finally eat in peace. Hallelujah!

Speaking of mealtime, we've introduced sippy cups and puffs. The twins stopped their nightly serenades before the introduction, but their cups and finger foods keep them occupied in the highchairs. Nicholas' pincer grasp is better than Luci's, although I think his skill may have more to do with the fact that the boy is insatiable and Luci could frankly give or take food. We're questioning her lineage as a result.

Thankfully, my two littlest still love stroller-rides. When she was their age, Isabella suffered from strollerphobia, so I am so grateful Luci and Nicholas like to take walks. I've found the fresh air helps them sleep better, so needless to say, we try to take a walk each morning, and then after dinner too.
Luci and Nicholas hit the baby pool for the first time on the 4th of July. They loved it, and dined on some fresh squid to mark the occasion.

The sleeping situation is improving slightly. In general, once Nicholas is down for the night between 7 and 7:30, I won't see him until the next morning, somewhere between 6 and 7am. That is, unless Luci wakes him up. She's usually up around 10:30 or 11pm and then again around 2:30 or 3am. I nurse her during these times, even though I know she doesn't need to eat, because it's the only way to get her back to sleep. If they were in different rooms, I would let her CIO, but for now, it's quickest and easiest for me to just feed her and get her back to sleep this way.

Both babies are starting the crawling process. When on their tummies, they will reach for toys out of their grasps, and then use their feet to push them forward. They both roll really well now, and can cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time.
About a week ago, Luci spoke her first word, which, much to my annoyance, is the same as Isabella's first word: "Dada." While she once trailed behind Nicholas in reaching milestones, and in physical and cognitive development, I think she has now surpassed him. She sits up really well, and has almost completely mellowed out and lost the whiny tendencies, crying, and crabbing during the day that drove me to the edge for the last 8 months. Her babbling now sounds more like "pre-talking" and it's been very cool to hear her "voice" emerge from the baby noises she's been making to this point. Her eyes are still blue, yet turning grey, and her hair is much lighter than her brother's. She loves peek-a-boo, gnawing on books, and the jumperoo.
Nicholas would be in his absolute glory if I held him 24/7. He has a raging case of mommyitis, and if I'm in the room with him, even if someone else is holding him or playing with him, he cries until I pick him up. He's still a bit on the crabby side at times, but he is a total lover-baby. He loves to be kissed and tickled, and he gives huge slobbery kisses. His pincer grasp, which he picked up almost immediately, is awesome, and he continues to eat more than any baby I've ever known. He hasn't started "babbling" as Luci has yet, but I will say that his screams are operatic and Mariah-esque in quality. He enjoys food, his stuffed bunny "Sonny," and also food. Lots and lots of food.


Teeth Count: 0
Word Count: Luci-"Dada"
Diaper Size: Huggies Size 2, but approaching Size 3

Clothing: 6 months


They're headed to the pediatrician tomorrow for their 9-month checkup, and I'll update this posting with their stats when I return.
* Nine-Month Stats
Luci
Weight: 14 pounds, 6.5 oz (less than 5th percentile)
Length: 26 inches (7th percentile-she's finally on the charts!)
Head Circumference: 44 cm
Nicholas
Weight: 15 pounds, 6.5 oz (less than 5th percentile)
Length: 26 inches (less than 5th percentile)
Head Circumference: 46 cm

10 Responses to “Luci and Nicholas at Nine Months (*Updated)”

  1. # Anonymous Lis Garrett

    They are just so, so adorable! It's really nice to read how things are starting to turn around for you and them. :-)  

  2. # Blogger Jamie

    I am so glad that things are starting to become a little bit easier. It gives me hope for the future. :)

    They are both adorable. Which has to help during those moments when you just want to jump out the window! :)  

  3. # Anonymous Ness @ Drovers Run

    They are *seriously* getting the cuteness on! I had such a laugh at your quip "his screams are Mariah-esque" because I can *totally* hear them in my minds 'ear'.

    I met up with MelB and Allie Chilling this morning in a sort of mini-IRL-blogger-meet-up and wish you could have been there too :)  

  4. # Blogger My Wombinations

    HOW ARE THOSE BABIES SO DAMN CUTE?! Ok. I got that out of the way. But seriously. SERIOUSLY? I just want to smoosh their little faces. They are so adorable.

    Also glad to hear they are warming up to the world:) I am dying to hold them. Can you please come to Boston?  

  5. # Blogger Shannon

    man they are soooo cute... Lorelei loves all the pictures of the babies...  

  6. # Blogger In Due Time

    Happy 9 months sweet babies!!! xo  

  7. # Blogger Mom24

    Yeah! I'm so glad to hear things are getting easier. Hopefully Nicholas' sleeping will wear off on Luci one of these days. I'm so glad for you too that your dinners have gotten much calmer. My heart broke for you thinking of a screaming dinner time every night, I think I would have ended up in the looney bin long before now.

    Even though they're tiny, they seem to be consistently growing, so I'm sure your doctor's happy with that.

    Is it my imagination or is Nicholas looking more and more like Isabella? They are all adorable.  

  8. # Blogger Marie

    Too too cute!

    Funny that the head measures are the only ones in metric!  

  9. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    Congrats on all the great milestones! Very exciting.  

  10. # Blogger Holly

    They are both so cute I want to gobble them up! I remember sitting up as being such a relieving (to me) milestone. I'm so glad dinnertime is going better -- for some reason, I now recall what you said about standing up during dinner with one of them because they would just cry. (Maybe it's because I usually end up eating my own dinner while breastfeeding my baby now? Hmm.)  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly