When Three Pairs of Mostly Italian But a Wee Bit of Irish Eyes Are Smiling

I heart St. Patrick's Day. Perhaps it's because my visit to Ireland was one of the most memorable of my lifetime (Ireland was exactly as I had pictured it in my head before arriving-spectacularly green rolling hills, tons of sheep, and lots and lots of pubs) or perhaps it's because for the last seven or so years, we've spent the Saturday before having a great time with friends and attending the big parade downtown.

On Saturday morning, we went to my friend's annual St. Patrick's Day Parade pre-party, followed by the parade in the afternoon. This marked only the second time I had left the house since the previous Sunday, so I was ridiculously excited about the prospect of 4+ hours away from my house and away from the babies. Love them though I do, mama needed a break. I think this was my longest time apart from them since they were born.

Isabella had a great time playing with my friend's two kittens. I think she appreciated that this brother/sister duo made a heck of a lot less noise than her own at home.


Then it was on to the parade, Isabella's first. They were an estimated 80,000 people lining the streets for the parade and I think I rammed her stroller into the ankles of every single one of them while trying to get through to where our group was gathering.

I love, LOVE bagpipes. I was this close to getting a bagpipe group to play outside the church on our wedding day. Isabella seemed to pick up on my excitement as she turned to me at one point and said, "Mommy, I want a bagpipe." Hmmm... remind me to soundproof her bedroom before we sign her up for lessons.

I'm also a huge fan of Irish dancing. There were probably 10 or more troupes dancing in the parade, some on the backs of floats. I've seen Riverdance a few times, and Lord of the Dance too. They made me want to break out into a spontaneous jig, but then I feared too greatly for the safety of those around me, given my complete lack of anything resembling rhythm or coordination.

The twins did not partake in the St. Patrick's Day festivities. Instead, they stayed home, wore green, and raised hell for my two aunts who so graciously offered to watch them.




The day wasn't a total bore for them, though. I discovered the cure for the twins' nighttime sleep issues. Guinness!


One year ago today, I found out I was pregnant again. Of course, it wasn't until six weeks later that I learned my fertility doctor needs his eyes examined and possibly another class in performing thorough ultrasounds. In some ways, it doesn't seem possible that a year has passed since I hit the infertility jackpot for the second time. In others, it seems it's been twice that long.

Are you celebrating St. Patrick's Day?

7 Responses to “When Three Pairs of Mostly Italian But a Wee Bit of Irish Eyes Are Smiling”

  1. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    I always say that I was amazed at how much Ireland was precisely what I'd envisioned. Usually your perceptions are skewed, but not so in the case of Ireland. Gorgeous place.

    Also - how tall is Isabella? She looks like an Amazon in that first photo! I'm thinking P would come up to her shoulder or something.  

  2. # Blogger kenju

    They all look good in green, Kristi!
    And Yes, I am celebrating! Happy St. Pat's Day!  

  3. # Blogger Chastity

    Does wearing green count as celebrating St. Patrick's Day? I do plan on wearing green today, and the kids will probably have a little green on as well if I can find anything. We plan on going the park...and maybe we'll admire the green grass while we're there. That's all I've got :).  

  4. # Blogger Mom24

    I'm so glad you had a good time. I love the pictures. It's amazingly hard to believe a year has past. Wow.

    They are so cute...all three of them. I'm making corned beef and cabbage to celebrate, that and wearing green. It's not much, but it's what I got.  

  5. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    Glad you had a good time and got a break! It looks like lots of fun. I honestly don't know my heritage, but with my paler than pale skin and reddish tint to my hair, I'm convinced I have to have some Irish in me. It sounds like a beautiful place and I hope to be able to visit it someday.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh my goodness- you're kids are just too cute!

    We now celbrate St Patrick's day by throwing a birthday party! So we had a Shamrocky/Pooh party in the park yesterday.

    I had forgotten that you found out you were pregnant the day he was born. =)

    I'm so glad you were able to get out for awhile and have some "Isabella" time!  

  7. # Blogger Jeni

    How fun, I wish we had thought to take Skyler out to the local parade. It looks like Isabella had a great time. The twins look great too!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly